See you soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The original plan for the Atomic Bomb album and what became the Vertigo tour was to have been releasing the album and starting the tour almost simultaneously in March-April 2004. Had this happened, the layoff between between the end of the Elevation tour and the beginning of the Vertigo tour would have been just over 2 1/4 years. They were on target for this schedule when they "finished" recording the album around October 2003. The problem occured when Larry and Adam vetoed the album and as a result, the album got pushed back about 8 months and the tour got pushed back a full year.

They are now in a similar position to last time. The band did recording off and on from December 2001 until mid 2002 and ended up releasing 2 of those songs on the Best Of 1990-2000. They then took a lot of those msuical ideas and really seriously worked on the album for around 6 months in 2003 with the intent to have a fully completed album by the end of that year.

This time around, they are known to have gone into the studio in June to work on ideas and again in September with 2 songs released from those sessions. The band could go back into the studio in January or February and if happy with the results by August, could have the new album out by November. They would be working with about the same amount of time that they had in 2003, so if end up being happy with their 6 months of work, it's realistic they could have that 2007 album and be ready for a tour to kick off in March or April 2008. By that time, U2 will have been off the road, other than the 5 weeks of shows in Novenmber and December of this year, for around 2 years. That's almost as long as the time between the end of the Elevation tour and the original planned beginning for the Vertigo tour, so I don't think that they will feel that spring 2008 is too early to start up again.

Remember that their were rumors that U2 would play selected US stadium dates this past June and perhaps they did not go through with those plans because they felt they would over saturate markets. If they're serious about touring again in 2008, they probably felt it would be better to hold off on the 2006 continental US stadium shows and just wait for the demand to increase by returning in 2008.

I think it's all realistic as long as they come up with an album that they are happy with by August of next year. Just because 1/2 the band was not fully happy with the music by late 2003 does not mean that is going to happen again in 2007. It seems that U2 only wants to begin tours in the spring of a year, so if they don't feel they have a solid album by fall 2007, then we may not see another tour until spring 2009.

Last edited:
Muad'zin said:
Well, if they decide to tour again in 2008 I hope that they do a better job of controlling ticket sales. ......... ......
I say no more then two tickets per person and no internet sales.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Two tix per person, instead of six, eight or ten would be a good way to decrease scalping..

I have no illusions about banning scalpers totally; they'll always be there.

Another option is providing tickets through U2.com as was done for the third leg in the U.S. Members who used to be Propaganda-subscribers got first pick.. This is the way to do it.. Longtime subscribers first......

.....Problem with U2.com is that it provides U2 with lots of cash.....
As we experienced two years ago when HTDAAB was released, big numbers of people took out subscriptions for U2.com when it appeared that the band would tour... I reckon many scalpers took out subscriptions...

Well, as long as I got tix to the shows I want to go to, you won't hear me complain... My experience is that when you really want to get tix to a certain shows you'll get a ticket when you put some time and effort in....
I was ticketless for Amsterdam 3 and managed to get a good ticket two weeks before the show at face value...

Halup said:
. It seems that U2 only wants to begin tours in the spring of a year, so if they don't feel they have a solid album by fall 2007, then we may not see another tour until spring 2009.

.....Yep, ever since the POP disaster when the stadium tour had already been booked while the band weren't satisfied with the album, U2 has been carefull with announcing tours.. Album ready before touring.....

*Ally* said:
http://www.overlandtouring.co.uk/pages/eventDetails.asp?id=183
:eyebrow:
(no, i don't think this is accurate information, but why would they advertise this? i guess it's based on rumors.... weird.)

when you follow the link and click the 'buy-button' the date that pops up would 20 July... It says Paris, Arena.. this would Bercy..
...mmmm, there's a touroperator here in Holland that advertises for the same show...
.....They're not a hundred percent reliable... these companies advertised for the '2002 Elevation stadium tour' as well.. we all know that this tour never took place...
... I wouldn't take these rumours too seriously...

wtonis said:
.....They're not a hundred percent reliable... these companies advertised for the '2002 Elevation stadium tour' as well.. we all know that this tour never took place...

But it was planned and seriously under consideration by the band.

Axver said:

But it was planned and seriously under consideration by the band.

You've got a point there... Well, Paris is only 600 kilometers away from here... I'll be there if it all takes place... but honestly, I have my deepest doubts...
... I did renew my U2.com subscription though...

Yeah, deepest doubts is pretty much what I have too. This has certainly popped out of the middle of nowhere. All I can think of pertaining to 2007 are North American stadium rumours such as Montreal, rumours that I think have pretty much been put to rest now. I'd love to know where on earth this site's Paris show idea came from.

Axver said:
Yeah, deepest doubts is pretty much what I have too. This has certainly popped out of the middle of nowhere. All I can think of pertaining to 2007 are North American stadium rumours such as Montreal, rumours that I think have pretty much been put to rest now. I'd love to know where on earth this site's Paris show idea came from.

perhaps it's just like the elevation stadium rumors... that the band put in preliminary holds on certain venues in case they decided to head out again, but have since decided to simply wrap it all up and go back to the studio :shrug:

For what it's worth, after the 12/4 show, I met a fan in Tokyo who had been hanging out at a pub that U2's crew was regularly frequenting. He was told the same thing that McGuinness was quoted as saying: The band would release a new album in '07 and tour again in '08. The unnamed crew member asked him what was different from this last round of Vertigo shows. He went on to say that the band was testing out new material on fans this time around (implying material from a new album). Granted Saints and WITS are both on the U218 album but reading the Billboard quote gives a little more credibility to the crew story.

Take it all with a grain of salt...

bratty_cat said:
Take it all with a grain of salt...

Lots of salt..... seeing is believing.. in other words; the moment I have tickets in my hands for future shows I'll let myself be excited..
....too many disappointments in the past with rumours and so on...

wtonis said:

Lots of salt..... seeing is believing.. in other words; the moment I have tickets in my hands for future shows I'll let myself be excited..
....too many disappointments in the past with rumours and so on...

HA! But after this tour even having the tickets in hand doesn't count. I realize the seriousness of the reason the tour was delayed, but that was quite a buzzkill to have tickets in hand and NO concert to look forward to.

I'll get excited when my ass is in the stadium (or arena. In the USA or Hawaii. Or wherever. LOL!).

Mark

Back
Top Bottom