Seattle II Setlist Bitch and Thread Party - PART TWO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodnight folks, it was fun updating you guys on an unexpected finish to the concert tonight, but I'm off to watch Goldeneye. :wave:

AndrewCowley said:
We don't yet know the reasons for playing Vertigo twice. We may never know. But if it was just to "shake things up" rather than some concrete reason then why when this band has SOOOO many songs to pick from did they feel the need to repeat a song already played? Sure, 25 years ago U2 used to play 11 0'Clock Tick Tock twice and as Bono described it that was because they didn't have enough songs. Well they certainly do have enough songs now. I don't get it. There must be more to playing it twice than just wanting to have a different closer. Maybe they weren't happy with the earlier version of it? Anyway, the way I am thinking right is this concert is actually 1 song shorter than it appears which from a primative value for money point of view stinks! Why not play Vertigo again AND play 40 as well?

Yeah, I just don't get it. If they wanted to play another song to really get the crowd going at the end, they could've used I Will Follow, Desire, or Out Of Control rather than Vertigo. It just doesn't seem to make sense for them to repeat this song with such a gigantic catalogue.

I'd love to know what led to this. I'm actually hoping it's not true, but all sources are saying it is. ..

Axver said:

Yeah, I just don't get it. If they wanted to play another song to really get the crowd going at the end, they could've used I Will Follow, Desire, or Out Of Control rather than Vertigo. It just doesn't seem to make sense for them to repeat this song with such a gigantic catalogue.

I'd love to know what led to this. I'm actually hoping it's not true, but all sources are saying it is. ..

Exactly my point. My hunch is that it was either for recording or technical reasons...not just for the sheer fun of playing it again.

AndrewCowley said:
We don't yet know the reasons for playing Vertigo twice. We may never know. But if it was just to "shake things up" rather than some concrete reason then why when this band has SOOOO many songs to pick from did they feel the need to repeat a song already played? Sure, 25 years ago U2 used to play 11 0'Clock Tick Tock twice and as Bono described it that was because they didn't have enough songs. Well they certainly do have enough songs now. I don't get it. There must be more to playing it twice than just wanting to have a different closer. Maybe they weren't happy with the earlier version of it? Anyway, the way I am thinking right is this concert is actually 1 song shorter than it appears which from a primative value for money point of view stinks! Why not play Vertigo again AND play 40 as well?

Wow y'all. I just got home from the concert and I was there last night, and while I think 40 is the best way to end it, please don't take it out on the second Vertigo.

Because that version was better, faster, harder, and had more people into it than the first and just plain f:censored:ing rocked. I wouldn't give it up for ANYTHING.

Even for seeing 40 again. And for those going to just one show...My dad went tonight and he won't be going to other shows, and believe me, that 2nd Vertigo is his stand out. DOn't knock it til you've tried it!

Last edited:
u2girlcj said:

Wow y'all. I just got home from the concert and I was there last night, and while I think 40 is the best way to end it, please don't take it out on the second Vertigo.

Because that version was better, fater, harder, and had more people into it than the first and just plain f:censored:ing rocked. I wouldn't give it up for ANYTHING.

Even for seeing 40 again. And for those going to just one show...My dad went tonight and he won't be going to other shows, and believe me, that 2nd Vertigo is his stand out. DOn't knock it til you've tried it!

Wow. Did they do/say anything, in the way of an intro for it??

VintagePunk said:

Exactly my point. My hunch is that it was either for recording or technical reasons...not just for the sheer fun of playing it again.

I don't see why it would be for any recording. The song's already been released as a single, so no video or anything necessary there, and if it's for some tour video - well, they wouldn't put out something with two Vertigos and no 40 (or other natural concert conclusion). Let's face it: Vertigo isn't a natural closer. And if they desperately need a live version for a b-side, they have plenty to choose from this tour or can just record it in Vancouver! I really doubt a second performance tonight would be that desperately necessary for anything like that.

I just do not get it.

wow, just came back for a quick 'last check' before bed. Very cool to hear from you u2girlcj. So Vertigo2 was even better than the real thing?

u2girlcj said:

Because that version was better, faster, harder, and had more people into it than the first and just plain f:censored:ing rocked. I wouldn't give it up for ANYTHING.

Wow!!! I wish I had been there!

I'm sure 2 Vertigos look odd on paper, but those of us reading at home can't possibly imagine how the vibe in the arena in Seattle must have been.

2 Vertigos....

:drool:

LyricalDrug said:

Wow!!! I wish I had been there!

I'm sure 2 Vertigos look odd on paper, but those of us reading at home can't possibly imagine how the vibe in the arena in Seattle must have been.

2 Vertigos....

:drool:

He was definitely in it and the crowd was even more amazing than last night. Many times you couldn't hear him sing over the crowd and at one point he stopped and turned to Larry with a look like "guess I'm not needed here!"

But ... why? I want to know what motivated them to play Vertigo AGAIN rather than a DIFFERENT SONG.

Axver said:
But ... why? I want to know what motivated them to play Vertigo AGAIN rather than a DIFFERENT SONG.

Because they fucking rocked it!!

Honest to God, I'm not a fan of this album, but it was the best song of the night. My vision was blurry and I'm not even sure how I stayed on my feet at that point.

u2girlcj said:

He was definitely in it and the crowd was even more amazing than last night. Many times you couldn't hear him sing over the crowd and at one point he stopped and turned to Larry with a look like "guess I'm not needed here!"
:applaud: :dancing: :whistle: :bow: :yes:

Axver said:

Let's face it: Vertigo isn't a natural closer.
I just do not get it.

Au contraire...it's not *your* perception of a natural closer. That might not be the case for others. :)

Admittedly, it's not usual for them, but that's what they did. Sounds like others enjoyed it, as well.

u2girlcj said:

Because they fucking rocked it!!

Totally beside the point.

There's no excuse for playing the same song twice when you're a band of U2's calibre with a catalogue of their depth.

Back
Top Bottom