Scandinavian leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it strange that U2 have only played twice in Finland. From what I understand, the Popmart show was a huge success, so they obviously have a fan base there. Maybe the deal was that on Elevation, there wasn't an arena there to suit them. I don't know. But since the next tour will be stadium, I'm sure they'll come back.

Well they are said to be playing Gothenburg (Ullevi Stadium)sometime during the summer.....:drool:

Though I would rather have them in the Globe in Stockholm....

Finland

I truly hope they'll come here aswell...
after all we got Morleigh dancing pregnant for us last time as a present for the Edge, he had his bday here...

I'm starting to save up anyways, try to catch atleast 4 shows somewhere...prolly all i can afford... Its expensive to fly around here...;) us poor students...

Kaisa

I think it was very strange that they didn't come to Finland on the Elevation tour, I think we'd have had a pretty good arena and all...:| But maybe as they're touring stadiums next summer...my hopes are up! I missed the PopMart show in Helsinki in 1997 :( and I'm DYING to see them live in my country!

U2 simply can't miss Finland now! They love(d) the Finnish audience (so I've heard) and we love them!!!!:love:

What's the deal with the arena in Helsinki, BTW? From what I understand they're reconstructing it or something. I might be totally wrong though... :lol: But if I'm not... does anybody know when it'll be finished? Hopefully by spring... ;)

Oh, they absolutely have to come here next year! The album hit #1 on the album chart right away! :D ;)
It would probably be a success, partly, I think, because we don't have so many "big" concerts around here, bands tend to forget about us.... ;) So when someone even remotely interesting comes along, everyone wants to go. :lol:

And U2 is more than remotely interesting.... ;)

As far as I know, they're reconstructing the Olympic Stadium in the summer, but I don't know when exactly and for how long...fingers crossed, fellow Finnish fans!!:wink:

Ava79 said:
As far as I know, they're reconstructing the Olympic Stadium in the summer, but I don't know when exactly and for how long...fingers crossed, fellow Finnish fans!!:wink:

Ok, thanks for the info! :)
I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.... ;)

Found this on the Helsinki Olympic stadium website:

Kesäkuusta 2004 kesäkuuhun 2005 kestää Olympiastadionin suurremontti. Peruskorjaus ja uudistustyöt alkoivat välittömästi Paul McCartneyn konsertin jälkeen 21. kesäkuuta 2004.
Lukuisten eri urakoiden tulee olla valmiina toukokuussa 2005.

:yes:

i found these 2 arena's in Finland

Helsinki, Hartwall-Areena , attd. 13 665

Turku, Elysée Arena , attd. 11 820

Oops, sorry U2C, I sometimes forget that not all understand Finnish...:wink:

However, what I was saying is that there's some reconstructing going on in the Helsinki Olympic Stadium until May 2005. That would be ready just in time for U2! And if it's a stadium tour then it's the only place in Finland really...we do have a couple of good arenas as well, though, but they're indoor arenas.

I'm from the states and really enjoy them playing here, but they really should just take six months and tour Europe...indoors. Play alot of new countries, alot of cities, really cover it all.

Why haven't they played in Russia yet?

They need to reach east.

Ava79 said:
Found this on the Helsinki Olympic stadium website:

Kesäkuusta 2004 kesäkuuhun 2005 kestää Olympiastadionin suurremontti. Peruskorjaus ja uudistustyöt alkoivat välittömästi Paul McCartneyn konsertin jälkeen 21. kesäkuuta 2004.
Lukuisten eri urakoiden tulee olla valmiina toukokuussa 2005.

:yes:

Kuulostaa hyvältä! :D

But if it doesn't happen... Well, there's always Sweden. ;)

Tällä kertaa U2 voisi jättää Ruotsin väliin ja tulla suosiolla Suomeen...olisi ihan reilua, että ruotsalaiset saisi vuorostaan reissata meille päin...:wink:

(nothing important for the non-Finnish speaking lot!)

I quite agree with you Ava U2 should come to Finland this time and make the Swedes travel to here for once! But are your sure that U2 won't be coming here? I mean there's 3 months of summer from June to August and the World athletics games only lasts for 2 weeks! I mean no tour dates have been confirmed yet.:sigh:

Last edited:
Well, it's been confirmed by Welldone agency (who brought u2 here in 1997) and it's been on the newspapers...but I guess there's nothing wrong with keeping fingers crossed.

Oh well, if it's true then there's nothing more for it then go to abroad. But you can be sure I won't be going to Sweden! Getting to Stockholm in hard and expensive enough (it's a six hour car and train journey from here to Turku!) let alone across Sweden to Gothenburg!! I might just as well take a cheep flight to Dublin!!! :rant:

Exactly...I'm NOT going to Sweden either!! No way! You don't need a lot more money to go to Dublin, for example: just take a cheap Ryanair flight from Tampere to London and another cheaper one from London to Dublin...:hyper: I've done that and can recommend it to anyone!!

jedi Larry said:
What about Hartwall Arena in Helsinki? They could play there. :wink:

They could, but they should do 10 shows...it's too small a venue for a big band like U2. Not that I'd mind, though, any venue in Finland would make me happyhappyhappy!!:hyper:

I'm right with you Ava! It's Ryanair all the way!! Come Monday we'll know for sure if U2 are coming to Finland or not. If only there was a cheap flight from Kuopio to Tampere coz train fare is more expensive than the flight to London!? How do they (Ryanair) managed it?!:confused:

Last edited:
You have to contact the important people at Ryanair and insist a cheap flight connection from Kuopio to Tampere!!:lol: I can't complain really as I'm moving to Tampere in a week, but I know the pain of paying more of a train fare than a flight...:|

Hcbiggs, mail me if you want to become pen pals with me: ava@u2.com. I'd prefer snail mail cos I'm even lazier with e-mails!:wink:

Yes! Just been watching the ski-jumping and good old Janne Ahonen won again!! And yes, I'd love to be pen pals. I actually have family who live in Tampere, my Godparents and my cousin. And I also have an aunt who lives in Nokia. I'll contact you soon.:wave:

Back
Top Bottom