Scalpers starting to sweat San Jose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jer2911

The Fly
Got a nasty reply from a scalper when I offered to buy tickets for face value now that two more shows (in oakland) have been announced. I didn't bother to try and point out the errors of his logic and how I indeed was out trying to get tickets (including fan club method). I figured that I got my GAs for Oaklans this a.m. so why catch his Mr. Angry virus....... Geez must suck to have a stash of tickets and see their value plumet :madspit:

Here is the letter:

What's with the attitude, Holmes?

You think I got these tickets for free? While you were sleeping in on a Saturday morning a few months ago, I was dialing frantically trying to get through to Ticket Master. I endured the busy signals while you dreamed. I endured their terrible customer service while you poured yourself a bowl of Captain Crunch. I paid their outrageous Convenience Charges and Taxes and Shipping Charges and every other jacked-up fee they could think of while you decided to watch cartoons or some gardening show.

While you dozed in Sleepy Land, I was battling it out in Ticket Land.

It was MY money I put up to get these tickets. I took the financial risk to get these tickets, not you.

AND NOW YOU WANT TO WALTZ IN AT THE LAST MINUTE AND "OFFER" TO TAKE THESE TICKETS OFF MY HANDS FOR MERE PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR? I don't think so.

What, you put in 40 hours a week at work for free? The grocery store just 'gives' you its food because you're a nice person? The local Chevy or Nissan dealer makes you a special deal of 1/2 what they paid?

Why do feel that all hard work and risk should be rewarded EXCEPT when it comes to concert tickets? Leave the commune and hop on the clue train.

Is Von's 'scalping'? Does Nordstrom 'scalp'? How about U2? Why don't they just perform for free? Wouldn't that be 'fairer'? The profit motive built the high tech area and it applies to tickets as it does everywhere else.

Those with tickets, UNITE! Block anyone who offers anything less than the ticket price plus convenience plus arena fee plus mail and handling plus shipping plus something for your time.

These concerts sold out in MINUTES. Tens of thousands of people were calling, waiting in line, and trying on the internet to get a small amount of tickets. And a lot of you weren't even trying! Well, that effort and success is worth something. We have the tickets and you don't. And until you pony up and recognize this effort and pay accordingly, you still won't have any tickets.

To everyone saying, 'but they're coming to Oakland'. Yeah, IN OCTOBER! If Bono's and the others' health can last that long, FANTASTIC! (Remember why the tour kept being postponed? Sickness of a family member.) Regardless, that's SIX MONTHS AWAY. Most people want to see U2 now, before the grind of the tour kicks in.

Pay the price or stay at home.

Are you the person who keeps posting those ridiculous posts on Craigslist?:rolleyes:

I see your point. Adding two more shows is most likely going to drive down the price a bit and I hate ticket scalping too (especially when I want the ticket), but that's the name of the game. If you want to blame someone for it, blame the fans or U2. They drive the price up. It's simple supply and demand, and there is no better example of this concept than in concert or sport tickets. U2 isn't playing enough shows (supply), and there is an unusually high demand for tickets this round as there was last round. Scalpers would not be selling those tickets that high if U2 fans weren't willing to pay it. Most of us on here are willing to pay it and as long as there's someone to pay it, that's what they will charge.

I just don't see what you were trying to accomplish with your posts and e-mails to scalpers. Do you really think a scalper is going to sell you a ticket at face value 10 days before a show because you "offered" to help him out of the jam? He is right though, people don't want to wait until Nov. to see them otherwise you wouldn't be trying to get tickets to this show without trying first to get tickets to Oakland.

Sorry about the rant, but I get sick of U2 fans complaining about the scalpers. It's the way it is and we create it b/c of our ridiculous obsession. If U2 wanted to avoid scalpers all they have to do is play more shows or start playing stadiums again. Lastly, how is it so different to have to pay $40 for presale access than it is to pay over face value for tickets?

[/rant]

You can take advantage of scalpers, but usually not until just minutes before the show, outside the venue. I have seen people get $150 tickets for $20 once a show is starting. Of course GA tickets lose a ton of value by that time. If your willing to run that risk, you might just get real lucky.

I have a feeling there are going to be LOTS of scalpers outside the arenas before the shows on this tour.

the olive said:
You can take advantage of scalpers, but usually not until just minutes before the show, outside the venue. I have seen people get $150 tickets for $20 once a show is starting. Of course GA tickets lose a ton of value by that time. If your willing to run that risk, you might just get real lucky.

I have a feeling there are going to be LOTS of scalpers outside the arenas before the shows on this tour.

Nobody is going to be getting $150 tickets for $20 at the major markets, or especially during this first leg in the U.S. Unless perhaps it's a poor single in the upper level or something. True, GA tickets would lose a lot of value after the show starts, but any smart parking lot scalper is not going to be left stuck with a GA to sell, unless it's one they acquired for $70 from some fan who happened to have an extra to sell, and thought he was doing good by making $20 and getting inside the show. He'll still make $$ on it.

There will be sellers, but I would not expect any bargains outside the major markets on this leg, except perhaps places like Denver or Phoenix. If you're able to hold out until just before showtime, so you can save a few $$, you've got more guts than me.

My favorite line,

"Leave the commune and hop on the clue train."

He couldn't have done any worse had he referenced 'Captain Obvious' at some point.

Frankly, While a huge rant, it really wasn't that funny.

What a douchebag.

~N.

A professional scalper will eat the $150 ticket long before he sells it for $20.

Nothing worse for business than having a reputation for caving at the last minute.

theblackcat said:
A professional scalper will eat the $150 ticket long before he sells it for $20.

Nothing worse for business than having a reputation for caving at the last minute.

Well than there have been a lot of unprofessional scalpers at many of the big shows I have been to in the northwest. I am talking about singles, not a pair. It is all about timing you have to catch them at the right moment.

A friend of mine once got a $125 ticket for $2 just before showtime - from a scalper. I couldn't believe it either. (Kiss - BC Place, New Years Eve '99-'00)

Hey, come on, the fella's just trying to make an honest living, right?

NOT!

That poor dumb bastard actually sounds as if he thinks the world's giving him the shaft because he can't extort enough money from the fans who couldn't get tickets.

If there's a hell, that dweeb'll be shoveling coal for a long time!

Thanks for the post--mighty satisfying to hear one of these scrotum-head scalpers bellyaching.

jer2911 said:
Got a nasty reply from a scalper when I offered to buy tickets for face value now that two more shows (in oakland) have been announced. I didn't bother to try and point out the errors of his logic and how I indeed was out trying to get tickets (including fan club method). I figured that I got my GAs for Oaklans this a.m. so why catch his Mr. Angry virus....... Geez must suck to have a stash of tickets and see their value plumet :madspit:

i'm sorry there buddy, but you shouldn't expect a scalper to subsidize your ticket unless its an hour after the concert has started. its silly for you to not expect to pay the extra charges charged by TICKETMASTER (which could be anywhere from $10-25)

Last edited:
"Holmes"

"Captain Crunch"

"I paid their outrageous Convenience Charges and Taxes and Shipping Charges and every other jacked-up fee they could think of while you decided to watch cartoons or some gardening show."

Hehe, were you watching cartoons or a gardening show?

:lmao:

"To everyone saying, 'but they're coming to Oakland'. Yeah, IN OCTOBER! If Bono's and the others' health can last that long, FANTASTIC! (Remember why the tour kept being postponed? Sickness of a family member.) Regardless, that's SIX MONTHS AWAY. Most people want to see U2 now, before the grind of the tour kicks in."

This however, was a low blow, that guy deserves to lose his money.

-----------------------------------------------------

OffAxis: Lastly, how is it so different to have to pay $40 for presale access than it is to pay over face value for tickets?

Hey, some people paid $40 just for the presale opportunity, and yes, that would make their tickets $20 more...I'm not one of those people.

I'm hoping just maybe, there are more "perks" and surprises, that also go with being a member. I was a Propaganda member, it's possible that for $20 more will get more than just presale opportunities and a magazine.

Who was expecting "Melon" and "hasta la vista baby" before those were released, when they first joined Propaganda?

You can still post on the U2.com boards for free, or you can pay a fee, and post on more "structured" boards, there's a general discussion, a band member's folder, individual member's folder. I can watch U2 videos anytime, granted, I have dial-up so that's not quite a perk for me.

Interference charges a fee for "extra perks," but also to help offset the cost of the site right?

How is it different, except it's $28 more?

Last edited:
*with his finger pointing up to the sky, instructingly, wearing a broad smile on his face:

"They say:

'Is posting private emails, Private Messages (PMs), chat logs, or Instant Message logs ok?

'ONLY if you have the consent of the other party(s) involved in the communication in question. Posting of private communications without the consent of the other party(s) involved is reason to have your forum membership terminated and to be banned from the forum. This also applies to any private communications which are to or from the sites' staff whether they be posted here or elsewhere. In some places, posting of such communications without consent is considered illegal. '

"Sorry guys, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Just be careful."

The scalper's point is valid only if you offered to pay him LESS than the purchase price + fees for the ticket. If you said you'd give him half the ticket price, his rant is valid. However, I highly doubt this occurred. You probably offered him face value and he made some nonsensical rant about you sleeping in - which is not only an assumption but illogical. First, he has no idea what you were doing then. Second, because he was there trying to hoarde all the tickets, you could have been blocked from trying to get in. Third, even if you were sleeping in late, that doesn't mean he deserves to charge you 4x the ticket price.

If he was charging say $75 for a GA ticket, which covered the purchase price, fees, mailing and perhaps a smidgeon of his time, fair enough. But we all know he's not.

However, U2 are "wily Irish guys". To outwit scalpers, they add more shows or played in huge stadiums. Also, many venues do NOT allow a scalper anywhere near the arena.

It'll be interesting to see if ticket prices really drop precipitously because of these new shows. So far, for all the shows I want to see, they are still pretty expensive.

doctorwho said:
The scalper's point is valid only if you offered to pay him LESS than the purchase price + fees for the ticket. If you said you'd give him half the ticket price, his rant is valid. However, I highly doubt this occurred. You probably offered him face value and he made some nonsensical rant about you sleeping in - which is not only an assumption but illogical. First, he has no idea what you were doing then. Second, because he was there trying to hoarde all the tickets, you could have been blocked from trying to get in. Third, even if you were sleeping in late, that doesn't mean he deserves to charge you 4x the ticket price.

If he was charging say $75 for a GA ticket, which covered the purchase price, fees, mailing and perhaps a smidgeon of his time, fair enough. But we all know he's not.

However, U2 are "wily Irish guys". To outwit scalpers, they add more shows or played in huge stadiums. Also, many venues do NOT allow a scalper anywhere near the arena.

It'll be interesting to see if ticket prices really drop precipitously because of these new shows. So far, for all the shows I want to see, they are still pretty expensive.

Exactly. In fact I didn't offer to give him "pennies on the dollar" as he states. I just pointed out to him the obvious fact that with additional shows added, his bargaining position is not what it was before.

I didn't even bother responding to him, because I'm not all about negativity.

If scalpers want to "eat" the loss rather than sell for at least something, more power to 'em. It amazes me that scalpers (and a small minority on this forum) stand up for the right of scalpers to charge obscene fees while they criticize people for our right to take advantage of a bargaining position (however small it may be).

The ticket prices for the 4/9 show are still pretty high, but if you check around, the 4/10 show are starting to drop. I've seen several ticket brokers selling GAs for about $150. Just last week those same tix were well above $200

RadRacer said:
*with his finger pointing up to the sky, instructingly, wearing a broad smile on his face:

"They say:

'Is posting private emails, Private Messages (PMs), chat logs, or Instant Message logs ok?

'ONLY if you have the consent of the other party(s) involved in the communication in question. Posting of private communications without the consent of the other party(s) involved is reason to have your forum membership terminated and to be banned from the forum. This also applies to any private communications which are to or from the sites' staff whether they be posted here or elsewhere. In some places, posting of such communications without consent is considered illegal. '

"Sorry guys, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Just be careful."

Is this directed at me? I didn't post a name or e-mail address. Even more, his e-mail didn't not contain any wording to the effect that the communication was private/confidential.

OffAxis said:
Are you the person who keeps posting those ridiculous posts on Craigslist?:rolleyes:

I see your point. Adding two more shows is most likely going to drive down the price a bit and I hate ticket scalping too (especially when I want the ticket), but that's the name of the game. If you want to blame someone for it, blame the fans or U2. They drive the price up. It's simple supply and demand, and there is no better example of this concept than in concert or sport tickets. U2 isn't playing enough shows (supply), and there is an unusually high demand for tickets this round as there was last round. Scalpers would not be selling those tickets that high if U2 fans weren't willing to pay it. Most of us on here are willing to pay it and as long as there's someone to pay it, that's what they will charge.

I just don't see what you were trying to accomplish with your posts and e-mails to scalpers. Do you really think a scalper is going to sell you a ticket at face value 10 days before a show because you "offered" to help him out of the jam? He is right though, people don't want to wait until Nov. to see them otherwise you wouldn't be trying to get tickets to this show without trying first to get tickets to Oakland.

Sorry about the rant, but I get sick of U2 fans complaining about the scalpers. It's the way it is and we create it b/c of our ridiculous obsession. If U2 wanted to avoid scalpers all they have to do is play more shows or start playing stadiums again. Lastly, how is it so different to have to pay $40 for presale access than it is to pay over face value for tickets?

[/rant]

hey holmes, i'm not the one posting the trash talk at craigslist, so please get down from your soapbox.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom