San Diego 1: The worst of seven U2 shows I have seen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"If Europe is so great, why doesn't the band spend much time there?

Somtimes, the plain looking girl doesn't realize she is plain.

Europeans = bitching and whining crybabies."

This coming from people who have been complaining since day 1 of presales why there aren't more shows. :up: People who get two legs and more shows than the rest of the world COMBINED.

Neilz EU has more inhabitants than US.

Last edited:
Is it really that hard to read? The guy already said that Europe has more inhabitants...

This may be the case, but for anyone in Europe is much easier to come see a show then in America... I can see about 15 shows living in Holland without traveling more then 150 miles...

And then again, Europe also had more Elevation dates then the rest of the world excluding the US... Big deal...

What is your point anyway :eyebrow:

You think Europeans don't have to travel? The ones that don't live in the western and northern parts of Europe?

They're playing stadiums in Europe, so clearly the demand is there. Plus they're a European band, and let's not forget how U2 has to struggle on US charts, as opposed to European or even Canadian ones. Yet still, US gets played the most by far.
250 millions get more shows than 350 millions + anywhere else in the world they may go. Go figure.

"And then again, Europe also had more Elevation dates then the rest of the world excluding the US... Big deal..."
Rest of the world didn't get shows that time, and it is a big deal. Australia got skipped, not to mention Asia (Japan) and S. America.

Americans get so many tour dates because nobody really does stadium tours here......the band would have a hard time selling out most stadiums in the US, so they're forced to play multiple nights at arenas.........people don't want to travel, either, so the only way for the band to play for most fans, in say, Utah, is to go to Utah itself......proportionally, America has one of the smallest percentages of fans, but we also have the largest in overall numbers....

Come on people, now you're all really breaking my geographer's heart. :sad:

The EU alone has already 445 million inhabitants.
The total population of Europe is 730 Million. This does however include the (lesser populated) Asian part of Russia.

The USA have 295 million inhabitants.

Europe has 31 Shows: 1 show per 16 million EU citizens/1 show per 23.5 million Europeans

USA has 68 shows: 1 show per 4.3 million US citizens

As for us rocking more. We can't help it. We just do!!! :wink:

romi said:
I was on the tip of the semi-circle. Bono walked by three times without directly looking into the audience -- just off into space. Edge walked out twice -- there was this corny bit where both he and Bono raised there fists into the air. I guess this is hat has replaced the great End of the world routine?? I hope not. The lighting was great, but I was not there for the lighting. I was there to interact with the music.. that didn't happen...

You know what? No one even triued to push me out of the way to get in fropnt of me.. I would rather have that than indifference....

I was slightly to the left of the tip on the bar, and I had the exact same experience. He made no connection with anyone I saw. I also had the same thing where it seemed that about the first four rows outside the ellipse didn't seem to be into it. I think it was because those were the people who had waited the longest and watched only about 50 get into the ellipse during the first 1/2 hour. So probably around 50 out of the first 500 people got in. It was very discouraging to already be uncomfortable and further away and seeing the heart almost empty for so long.

NOPE. This has more to do not with the "lottery", but because--REMEMBER PEOPLE??--SO FEW fans got ticket in the first place. We know where U2 screwed up with this, but the fault, far more, has consistently been with Ticketmaster, who funneled off so many hundreds and thousands of tickets to corporate types and seasonal ticketholders. If the "dead" people (ie who didn't know the words) were teens, that's understandable, the more "Vertigo" fans the better! But if they looked older, and chatted on the phone a lot, and talked to their girlfriends, and just in general looked like they were at the "hot" show of the moment and nothing more..well, this is what happened, and I was expecting it. The shows will get better as the tour goes on, becuase so many more of the fans got tix for the fall. I just HOPE the band knows what is going on here, and does not change the setlist as a result of the TicketBastards infltrating our shows.

This is the first "review" I have read, and I hope it wasn't as bad as this. I hope the fans are getting to the band on the street, and telling them what is really happening here. If it was this bad, I feel sorry for them....I hope they are not bewildered and remember that the fans did NOT get in, just the Clear Channel VIP corporate types. "Boy" material and the GA does not go nuts. They must be thinking WTF? I wish I could call them up right now and tell them it;s not OUR fault, if WE were there, it would be everything they wanted. I hope they're not getting worried about this as well as discouraged....

Last edited:
What in God's green earth has this thread turned into????

Hello Hello?????

Anyone recall the point of Bono's message in last night's show???

How about....One??? One blood....one life?? One world, working together to try to solve global problems???

and here we have people pissing and moaning whether America or Europe is better or more deserving of a U2 concert.

GET A HOLD OF YOUR F'ING SELVES PEOPLE!!!

Your supposed "favorite" band would be disgusted by this type of bitching. That goes for both Yanks and Euros!

I think it has more to do with cultural differences. Remember, an entire generation of American audiences has grown up knowing only seats in a venue, since 1977, when GA was banned. It's like we've been culturally conditioned to stand there and at the most clap along, and dance in place, and sing. NOT pogo en masse.

Whereas in Europe, lomh used to freewheeling outdoor music festivals where anything goes, pogoing is the norm.

IN Europe, the typical crowd atmosphere is like a glorious, sweaty beer hall. In America, it's like being in a church in a revivial, being knocked away by the choir. Raucous club, or being moved by the Spirit as you stand and sway? Take your pick. Each has merits. In Europe, the phyical experience of pogoing en masse is loads of fun, and the energy level is high; but in America, people stand still and clap along and sing at the top of their lungs, and ALL attention is constantly on the stage. Take your pick. Both are great in different ways, I think.

It was the first show of the tour. I wasnt expecting it to be universally loved by all. Hell the worst U2 show (and worst is a strong word but if I was ranking them) Ive been to was opening night at Elevation.

Opening nights are never the best shows.

Come May this show will be on fire from all angles.

beli said:

Yes, and the people whining - lets call them yokels. :)

LOL!! You know, I didnt know what to expect when I came on here today for first night reactions but I did think - I bet there are lots of people moaning! "Its too much like elevation, "Didnt like the setlist," "the guy next to me sang the wrong words!" etc etc! It pisses me off to be honest. I know so many people who couldnt get tickets and couldnt afford to pay hundreds for them on ebay and some people here are getting to see U2 - and are moaning!! Well, they aint gonna put me off, I still know that I will be going to the concert of my life on June 14th and yes, I will be jumping up and down and going ballistic, as Im sure everyone else around me will be!!

Jo.

P.S To the person who corrected that bloody soccer word to football - :applaud:

doctorwho said:

However, you are incorrect about the above. Not all "pretty people" were in the heart. A few select people were indeed chosen to go into the heart first. That's it and that's all. All those who waited to get into the heart STILL DID! However, they were ticked off because even though they went to 500 shows, they didn't get their "usual spot" right in front of Adam or Edge. Instead, they had a "normal" spot inside the heart. As such, these tremendous babies staged a protest by sitting down - inside the heart - during "Elevation". This is why you don't see the enthusiasm - in fact, Bono even says "come on" at one point. And I concur - those fans are the type that give all fans a bad name.

Man, when I heard about that protest bullshit I got so pissed off I had to run around the block a few times! I went to 6 Elevation shows, and let me tell you those people freak me out. They think they have this special right of some kind at shows.

Ok, get this. My girlfriend and I were sitting in line since 6am cause we wanted to get in the heart. I leave to go get us lunch at 12pm and the girl who was in line next to us says to my girlfriend, "So, how many shows are you going to?" My girlfriend says just the one. The girl (who's like 19) gives my girlfriend this crazy look and says, "Well, dont you know this part of the line is for the "real fans". OMG! Just so the day wouldnt be ruined, my GF and I bit our lip till it was time to go in.

And that wasnt the only experience. Just hearing the shit they talk about in line scares me. Like, who cares if Bono has hairplugs!? They know (or like to know) every move the band makes. Stalkers to the tenth degree. Yea, I'm on a rant here, so I dont wanna here any flak. Well, anyways..im gonna take a chill pill now.

LuminousTimes said:

I was slightly to the left of the tip on the bar, and I had the exact same experience. He made no connection with anyone I saw. I also had the same thing where it seemed that about the first four rows outside the ellipse didn't seem to be into it. I think it was because those were the people who had waited the longest and watched only about 50 get into the ellipse during the first 1/2 hour. So probably around 50 out of the first 500 people got in. It was very discouraging to already be uncomfortable and further away and seeing the heart almost empty for so long.

Ya, we were disappointed alright, I came there at around 9am and there were about 500 people in line already. Some even waited since 11pm the night before!.....if you waited that long, and then some yo-yo who came 10 mins before the show got into the ellips and you didn't, wouldn't you be pissed too. But, waiting there all day did at least get me close to the tip of the ellipse.

I was slightly left of the tip too, maybe had 3 people in front of me outside the ellipse, and the crowd around me was pretty much dead. I myself jumped to pretty much every song, and actually had people complaining to me about it.

Bono did come by, during pretty much all of LAPOE, and looked right at me, as I was jumping like a lunatic, with everyone else just standing there. Overall though, AMAZING SHOW.

A great setlist, although I am surprised no songs from October, Zooropa, R & H, and Pop were played!

I agree with Romi. It was not the best U2 show. I was prepared for it not to be the best just because it was opening night, but the band just didn't seem into it. There was little joy, spontaneity or playfulness. They were serious and working very hard. Any playfulness on Bono's part seemed forced and uninspired to me. I'm sure for people in the oval, or just outside the oval, it was still an amazing experience. I'm not trying to be hard on them--I give the band every break in the world. It's not so much that I was disappointed--I can handle my disappointment on an off night--but my concern is that the band didn't seem happy. I hope I'm wrong and that this was just a typical opening night show.

But all that said (and sorry to sound so negative!), believe me, it was still probably the greatest rock & roll show many people have ever seen and I was very happy to be there. Visually it was beautiful and there were some great moments! I mean, I loved being there. I think that as always the show will continue to evolve and I can't wait to see it again in Phoenix. :)

Last edited:
I wasn't there, but I can tell from having read the names of the people who posted on here during the past 13 weeks that it was an average show.

doctorwho said:

However, you are incorrect about the above. Not all "pretty people" were in the heart. A few select people were indeed chosen to go into the heart first. That's it and that's all. All those who waited to get into the heart STILL DID! However, they were ticked off because even though they went to 500 shows, they didn't get their "usual spot" right in front of Adam or Edge. Instead, they had a "normal" spot inside the heart. As such, these tremendous babies staged a protest by sitting down - inside the heart - during "Elevation". This is why you don't see the enthusiasm - in fact, Bono even says "come on" at one point. And I concur - those fans are the type that give all fans a bad name.

EXACTLY. And I personally believe that THESE fans are the reason why we have this "lottery" this going-round. It's not that U2 sees the same faces, it's the attitude of these "same faces" which could indeed make U2 tired of seeing them...

For example, last year I went to an unnamed U2 show on the West Coast (3rd Leg)...was 29-32 in line (had relatives w/ me)...lined up since around midnight-1 AM. Anyways, being second row from stage, the person in the middle front (literally touching stage) continued to throw his hands in Bono's face...everytime he kneeled down, got close, whatever. During "Bullet", when Bono kneeled down in front of the stage in what appeared to be prayer, the guy stuck his hand in his face and was screaming. Considering this was a fairly "emotional" time of the show, Bono slapped the guy's hand out of his face and walked away from the front. Man, if I were Bono, and saw this dude every other night, I'd want different people too. And from what he and his buddies were saying before the show started (they were fairly rude, got into a little shouting match w/ my cousin), this wasn't the first U2 show they had been to where they were right there, center row...

In essence, it's the people who pull stunts like this and what Dr Who said that make things more difficult than they have to be.

the audio of this show blew me away

especially:
everyone beginning
vertigo stories for boys part
electric co
an cat dubh
into the heart
love and peace or else
sunday bloody sunday
bullet the blue sky/hands
running to stand still
zoo station
fly
elevation (even though they fucked it up they tried something different)
... and i'm not even done listening to the concert yet (just before pride right now)

well they must have shown a different group on tv last night, because they showed the inside of the hole with them going crazy, reaching out their arms and jumping up and down.

Yeah...Ruffian said everyone around her was freaking out, they loved it so much and she said there weren't many with dry eyes during parts of the concert either.

I realized when I first started listening to the boot that I was expecting to hear every song like I've heard it before. Since that's all I've done for the past four years is basically listen to the same things over and over again. You know, I was expecting songs to be just like the Boston DVD, Slane Castle and so on...and then I realized I could just just sit home and watch the same DVDs over and over again if that's what I really wanted. After that, I let the songs be "new" to me and gave them a chance. I wish I had gotten to go to this show, it sounds like a great one to me and it can only get better from here.

Last edited:
I guess we need a crowd-o-meter at every show to insure that each city is rowdie enough for the interference group. Why can't people go to a show and have FUN?!?!!? I didn't know it was a competition.

I will add one thing. The German crowd I experienced almost put me to sleep. So geographics have not much to do with it.

The people around me were really into it. I generally am not one to be visibly into a show even when I'm up front. I tend to concentrate and while I'm not dancing and jumping up and down and screaming, I am usually having an intense experience anyway. It wasn't the audience that was a little off last night; I thought it was Bono. But that's just my perspective. From where I was sitting it looked to me like the people in the ellipse were having an awesome time.

Back
Top Bottom