Saitama II Setlist Watch and Party, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Wow, it's been a long time since we've needed a part II for a setlist party! The show itself has finished, but I'm convinced that we do not yet have all the snippets - or at least I hope we don't, after all the discussion of snippetry in the first part of the party! Plus, the discussion in part I of the party was ongoing and we'd reached the 500 post mark, so I figured I'd make a new thread so that we may continue and others can chime in with post-show thoughts and opinions on the set.

And here's the set!

Source, with additional statistical comments from me: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/article340.html

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
Angel Of Harlem
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One Tree Hill
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Encore(s):
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
Window In The Skies
Desire
All I Want Is You

Back to the setlist... how awesome is this? The First Time, One Tree Hill, Window In the Skies, All I Want Is You all together. Hope someone gets a decent recording of this show.

In response to Andrew's and Axver's last posts...

BTBS Point Depot 1-1-90 (or 12-31-89, same thing) sounds deeper to me.
As far as S&G goes, Axver, I love the play the blues comment.
This is only slightly apropos, but I'm thinking of this right now - and then I'm off to bed. When I was in high school I spent years in love with the same girl. Turned out she liked me, too, but it took us ages to get together. She found out I was a big U2 fan, and after the first time I went over to her house, as my father was waiting outside to pick me up (I was a teenager), she was standing in the doorway talking, talking, talking. Finally she said, "Am I buggin you? I don't mean to bug ya." And she gave me a very shy smile. That was when I knew she was mine.
Such a sweet memory...
Night, all.

Oh, snap, one more thing. If you slowed down the recording of Bullet, Bono's voice would lower in pitch. But if you speeded it up the opposite it would happen. Could it be that the bootleg is slightly off-speed?

For any newcomers, we've gotten onto the topic of Rattle And Hum in the other thread. This is relevant as today's show is the first since the Slane DVD gig on 1 September 2001 to feature three songs from RAH.

AndrewCowley said:

They should have ditched the idea of the film being part doco since that's where it fails and just made a regular concert video not intended for the cinema. Ditch the scant doco stuff and add a few extra songs. Although having said that I adore the Heartland section of the movie.

I would probably tend to agree with that sentiment. There were so many exceptional performances from the JT Tour that should not have been left out, OTH and Mothers especially. I wouldn't have minded some Unforgettable Fire action either.

What really disappoints me is that the band didn't take advantage of the DVD re-release to include some of the footage from the Out-takes and Rough Cut.

bgmckinney said:
Oh, snap, one more thing. If you slowed down the recording of Bullet, Bono's voice would lower in pitch. But if you speeded it up the opposite it would happen. Could it be that the bootleg is slightly off-speed?
Yes, if Bullet on R&H is slowed down (which I think it is; I expect everyone to yell at me if you disagree) then that would also explain why I think Bono's voice sounds unusually deep. Thing is though it is R&H that I think is slowed down and not some bootleg. Maybe I'm going mad.

AndrewCowley said:
Back to the setlist... how awesome is this? The First Time, One Tree Hill, Window In the Skies, All I Want Is You all together. Hope someone gets a decent recording of this show.

Hell yes! The sets lately have been really great. I'm surprised that WITS has debuted and AIWIY reappeared so late in the game, and I'm so delighted that OTH's life is continuing beyond New Zealand. I hope it makes it to Hawaii and subsequent tours.

I just wish one Vertigo gig could have had all of this tour's best songs. On the first leg, I was saying that if a show had all three of The Electric Co., Gloria, and Bad, it would be the best show of the tour, but it sadly never happened. Now just imagine a show with TEC, Gloria, Bad, Miss Sarajevo, Zoo Station, The Fly, The First Time, One Tree Hill, All I Want Is You, Fast Cars ...!

Axver said:

What really disappoints me is that the band didn't take advantage of the DVD re-release to include some of the footage from the Out-takes and Rough Cut.

20th Anniversary Edition I would guess, which isn't really that long of a wait.

timothius said:

20th Anniversary Edition I would guess, which isn't really that long of a wait.

Heh, I doubt that's likely. I'm still waiting for my 20th anniversary edition of UABRS! :mad:

Wouldn't a complete Red Rocks be so bloody killer?

AndrewCowley said:

Yes, if Bullet on R&H is slowed down (which I think it is; I expect everyone to yell at me if you disagree) then that would also explain why I think Bono's voice sounds unusually deep. Thing is though it is R&H that I think is slowed down and not some bootleg. Maybe I'm going mad.

I went mad a long time ago - it's 12:30 am and I'm discussing whether one recording or another made twenty years ago was slowed down. :) Madness is nice. Don't fight it.
Alright, really, that's it for me. If I post again I will have to smoke another cigarette.

Axver said:

I just wish one Vertigo gig could have had all of this tour's best songs. On the first leg, I was saying that if a show had all three of The Electric Co., Gloria, and Bad, it would be the best show of the tour, but it sadly never happened. Now just imagine a show with TEC, Gloria, Bad, Miss Sarajevo, Zoo Station, The Fly, The First Time, One Tree Hill, All I Want Is You, Fast Cars ...!
Now that I've finally seen this show I'll be collecting bootlegs like mad. But until I download some bootlegs I haven't heard Fast Cars live yet. Do you really put it up there in the "best of" category for this tour? Its a pretty weak song.

bgmckinney said:

I went mad a long time ago - it's 12:30 am and I'm discussing whether one recording or another made twenty years ago was slowed down. :) Madness is nice. Don't fight it.
Alright, really, that's it for me. If I post again I will have to smoke another cigarette.

:lmao:!

By the way, I hope you enjoyed the AIWIY cover that I sent you.

AndrewCowley said:

Now that I've finally seen this show I'll be collecting bootlegs like mad. But until I download some bootlegs I haven't heard Fast Cars live yet. Do you really put it up there in the "best of" category for this tour? Its a pretty weak song.

Funny you say that, as I feel Fast Cars is one of the better HTDAAB-era songs and signals some forward-thinking rather than rehashing from the band. I think it was improved live too, and quite a bit of fun. I would have preferred it over Party Girl.

Axver said:

Funny you say that, as I feel Fast Cars is one of the better HTDAAB-era songs and signals some forward-thinking rather than rehashing from the band. I think it was improved live too, and quite a bit of fun. I would have preferred it over Party Girl.
I'll listen to Fast Cars a few times again. My version of Bomb has Fast Cars at the end but I normally stop listening after Yahweh because to me that is the 'proper' end of the album and the first few listens of Fast Cars didn't do a whole lot for me.

Axver said:

Hell yes! The sets lately have been really great. I'm surprised that WITS has debuted and AIWIY reappeared so late in the game, and I'm so delighted that OTH's life is continuing beyond New Zealand. I hope it makes it to Hawaii and subsequent tours.
What I hope for future tours is that U2 realise that like they've done here with dragging OTH, Zoo Station, Electric Co etc... from nowhere there IS life in songs of theirs that for whatever reason they decided not to play for yonks. They have too many songs that featured mainly only on one tour. In God's Country is a fine example. Plenty of others. Maybe U2 are learning that singles aside and a few tracks of whatever their latest CD is they do actually have a back catalogue!

AndrewCowley said:

I'll listen to Fast Cars a few times again. My version of Bomb has Fast Cars at the end but I normally stop listening after Yahweh because to me that is the 'proper' end of the album and the first few listens of Fast Cars didn't do a whole lot for me.

To be honest, I rarely ever listen through HTDAAB all the way. I find it works much better as a collection of songs, so I tend to play just what strikes my mood.

timothius said:

Red Rocks doesn't really float my boat. Give me PopMart on DVD any day. :drool:

As far as I'm concerned, Red Rocks is the best live release U2 has ever put out and it's been all downhill from there except for a slight bump up at Popmart.

AndrewCowley said:

What I hope for future tours is that U2 realise that like they've done here with dragging OTH, Zoo Station, Electric Co etc... from nowhere there IS life in songs of theirs that for whatever reason they decided not to play for yonks. They have too many songs that featured mainly only on one tour. In God's Country is a fine example. Plenty of others. Maybe U2 are learning that singles aside and a few tracks of whatever their latest CD is they do actually have a back catalogue!

I just hope the audience responses this tour have been strong enough to prompt them to keep playing the lesser-known cuts from their back catalogue. I know I was screaming my lungs out for The Fly, The Electric Co., One Tree Hill, etc. It would be great for U2 to keep digging and rediscover other old stuff.

I'd especially appreciate a UF rediscovery. Who would've guessed that, eh? :wink:

Axver said:

I'd especially appreciate a UF rediscovery. Who would've guessed that, eh? :wink:
How do you think Bono would go singing it? The capabilities and characteristics of his voice now are pretty different to those back when UF was regularly played live.

AndrewCowley said:

How do you think Bono would go singing it? The capabilities and characteristics of his voice now are pretty different to those back when UF was regularly played live.

Well, he's managed to do the Boy stuff and Miss Sarajevo and One Tree Hill pretty nicely! I'm sure he's more than capable, and any parts he can't do, Edge can fill in, like I think he does on WITS.

I'm sure ASOH, Wire, UF, and especially Promenade could be done. I'd really love to hear Promenade. It could be to the next tour what something like The First Time was to this one.

And with that, I think I'm off to bed! :wave:

Axver said:

Well, he's managed to do the Boy stuff and Miss Sarajevo and One Tree Hill pretty nicely! I'm sure he's more than capable, and any parts he can't do, Edge can fill in, like I think he does on WITS.

I'm sure ASOH, Wire, UF, and especially Promenade could be done. I'd really love to hear Promenade. It could be to the next tour what something like The First Time was to this one.

And with that, I think I'm off to bed! :wave:
Promenade live. :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm off to bed as well. Cool setlist party.

That's a pretty good setlist...

Though looks like The Fly, Mysterious Ways are here to stay.

Interesting that Love/Peace/Else is dropped again... :hmm:

What you doing up at such a ridiculous time? Yes I'm back home...unfortunately...but looking at a year secondment through work.

Setlist parties whilst working...easing the pain a little.

theu2fly said:
That's a pretty good setlist...

Though looks like The Fly, Mysterious Ways are here to stay.

Interesting that Love/Peace/Else is dropped again... :hmm:
how can you say here to stay? theres only 2 concerts left on the tour

Hi, I'm sorry I missed you guys -- I got mixed up and thought the next gig was tomorrow morning States time.

Just so I'm clear, when is the next one in different time zones?

AndrewCowley said:

Honestly, give Fast Cars a listen on its own on a good sound system (I originally heard it on iTunes and didn't appreciate it until I blasted it out on my Bose speakers.) Edge's guitar playing is fantastic. It's one of his best performances, I think.

A group of us who go dancing have tango'd to it -- there's a point on the break where the music stops and it's an opportune moment to do a deep dip!

Axver said:

It´s a pretty good setlist, one of the better ones in the 5th leg. Delighted to see the Shine Like Stars verse back (is that really a snippet since it is actually a part of With or Without You, and not a verse from another song?). You are definitely right about the ultimate Vertigo setlist, which will probably never happen. Although I would replace Miss Sarajevo with Running To Stand Still. And put Who´s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and An Cat Dubh in it.

And bring back Love/Peace and Zoo Station back for the third night! The Electric Co. would be awesome as well.

I have a feeling Japan III will be a very unusual setlist, but Hawaii will revert to the "definitive" Vertigo Tour setlist and include more Bomb songs...just as a way to tie the loose ends.

Axver said:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
Angel Of Harlem
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One Tree Hill
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Encore(s):
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
Window In The Skies
Desire
All I Want Is You

WOW!
Many changes from Japan 1.
Different songs or same songs at a different place in the set list.
I like it!
:applaud:
WOWY + Shine Like Stars!
:heart:

Back
Top Bottom