Sad about Bono's voice at Live8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
I know this is a sticky subject.

However I am feeling sad tonight about Bono's vocal power at Live8. When you juxtapose that performance with the power he displayed at Live Aid... the contrast is so very striking.

This is not meant to take away from the good Live8 can and has done or the ulimate point...

Just can't help it as Bono used to be overflowing with power vocally and now strains just to get short notes out sometimes.

He is still a one of a kind (obviously) singer and it is beautifiul how he emotes and what he does with his range.

Just back then he could blast his vocals and now he strains to whisper sometimes. The reasons why are understood this is a cause effect relationship...

Still he needs to STOP SMOKING. AS OF YESTERDAY.

We care about you and your gift Bono. Take care of yourself / it.

I hope in the future U2 will tour less and never play two nights in a row. Bono (although looks very well these days) needs to get on a very regular and aerobic fitness routine and STOP SMOKING.

Then again, so do I.

Sorry for the rant. I just give a damn.:(

Does he still smoke?.....I know he'd given up, then he started again towards the end of the elevation tour, then he started again (he made mention of this at a concert toward the end of the 3rd leg)
Then I'd thought he'd stoped again.

Could we please get a confirmation - does Bono smoke or doesn't he?

From the recent Mojo magazine article that still lies besides my keyboard: :)

Bono explains that he only smokes now after a gig when he knows he doesn't have to sing the next night.

So I guess B-man himself admits it.

Yes, how dare he not sound like he did 20 years ago?

He smokes less and it clearly shows on this tour and the album.

Well count me in as the only one who was *pleasantly* surprised at Bono's vocal performance at Live8 then. Those "do you hear us coming, Lord..."'s were so clear, it was perfect.

I stopped smoking 5,5 weeks ago and feel completely fucked up ever since!!!:wave:

I agree that Bono's vocal power is not what it was twenty years ago and I'm sure the smoking has not helped, but I don't think that's the only reason. In the mid-nineties Bono had a problem with his vocal chords that required surgery. I seem to remember an interview where he said that after the surgery he noticed that his voice was different and he could no longer hit the notes he used to. Does anybody else remember him saying this?

I also want to add that Edge smokes, too and his voice sounds the same as it did in the eighties and he can still hit the high notes. I think that all the wear and tear Bono's voice has gone through as lead singer for nearly thirty years is a major factor in his vocal problems.

Last edited:
Bono's Vocal power was never going to be as strong as it was 20 years ago today.
Smoking has possibley caused it to get a little weaker than what It might be right now.

Everyone's voice changes over time anyway - more so if you smoke obviously, but voices can mature too. He certainly looks a lot better than in the Live Aid concert though. I was watching the whole thing (well, skipped through most of it!) on DVD recently and Bono's mullet was a truly startling sight. Many others sporting them too. The horror!

Last edited:
personally bono is singing better than ever technically, he actually sings now, bono's voice has been VERY strong this tour, and it shows in the amont of time he is holding notes,

plus how many times have we had this discussion about his voice? this must be number 10500

KUEFC09U2 said:
personally bono is singing better than ever technically, he actually sings now, bono's voice has been VERY strong this tour, and it shows in the amont of time he is holding notes,

plus how many times have we had this discussion about his voice? this must be number 10500

Agreed. He is ten times the vocalist now than he was in 1985.

we are all afraid of him losing his voice, but yet he always finds his way vocally--i think he hasn't screwed up a concert this year, so perfectly he sings,IMO

KUEFC09U2 said:

:wave:

after a few your post where I agreed I have to dissagree here. bono's technic drasticly bettered since the lovetown tour. his abilities were at their peak during the zoo erae where he could do 'everything'..so his technic has been good since zootv, he couldn't use it that well during popmart and elevation. It has nothing to do with his technic more so with surgery and the recovery from it. His voice is very good nowadays and much better than let's say popmart..holding notes has to do with technic but it's not so difficult. I'm glad that he sings "confident"again...:wink:

Zootomic said:

I also want to add that Edge smokes, too and his voice sounds the same as it did in the eighties and he can still hit the high notes.

The Edge Smokes? Are there any pictures out there, I never knew this? When did he start?

I agree that he struggled in parts at Live 8, but put this mainly down to the fact that they have had an intense run of shows (and political activity) over the last few weeks. When Bono has had a few days off from a gig his voice is 10 times better than on night 3 or 4. He sounded more strained in Cardiff than in London - but he had just come off the back of 3 homecoming gigs, the last of which seemed to go on for hours!

So in my opinion, he can still sound as great as he ever has, but he needs to take longer rest periods between concerts.

My voice goes when Im speaking on the phone to my pal for a couple of hours so imagine singing for 30 years and then doing a concert 3-4 times a week - give him a break he is doing brilliant, oh to have a voice like Bono.

Paul McCartney has smoked for 50 years, and listen to his voice! Sounds excactly like the Beatles, so I don't think the smoking is the reason why the voice changes. Same goes for someone like Don Henley of the Eagles.

I think Bono sounds better than the 80's, and allthough he hit higher notes during the 90s, I think the 00's voice is the best by far, but that's just my opinion.

Take someone like Elton John for example... He's nearly 60, and people still thinks he has a great voice. But listen to his early recordings, like the first version of Your Song. His voice is SO different...

Of course the voice get's tired during a tour, never resting. We all know Bono can't shut up a whole day:). But listen to their latest recording for example, Mercy, noone can say that voice is crap! And also listen to Bono when he sits down with the Edge in the studio playing a song quietly. His voice is great...

(Another footnote on the smoking: Because there is a pic of the Edge smoking, doesn't mean he's doing it on a regular basis...)

I think the Edge is the greatest backing vocaler ever. And he suits Bono VERY GOOD. They have very similar voices, except the Edges voice is cleaner. Edges voice could lead sing for a song or too, but it is too ordinary for an entire set. That's when you need someone with Bono's voice to keep the biggest band in the world going, a big ROCK voice!

Actually I think Bono's voice is much better on this tour than it was on Elevation.

For the two Vertigo gigs I was at he nailed every note in each song, and Sometimes was perfect.

redhill said:
I know this is a sticky subject.

However I am feeling sad tonight about Bono's vocal power at Live8. When you juxtapose that performance with the power he displayed at Live Aid... the contrast is so very striking.

This is not meant to take away from the good Live8 can and has done or the ulimate point...

Just can't help it as Bono used to be overflowing with power vocally and now strains just to get short notes out sometimes.

He is still a one of a kind (obviously) singer and it is beautifiul how he emotes and what he does with his range.

Just back then he could blast his vocals and now he strains to whisper sometimes. The reasons why are understood this is a cause effect relationship...

Still he needs to STOP SMOKING. AS OF YESTERDAY.

We care about you and your gift Bono. Take care of yourself / it.

I hope in the future U2 will tour less and never play two nights in a row. Bono (although looks very well these days) needs to get on a very regular and aerobic fitness routine and STOP SMOKING.

Then again, so do I.

Sorry for the rant. I just give a damn.:(

Not arguing about the smoking.

Still - have a heart! Bono is 20 years older than he was at Live Aid! Aging, combined with continuous strain on one's vocal cords, is hardly conducive to belting out songs like a 20 year old... that's unrealistic. The man is 45.

It's sad to see singers losing the strength in their voices, but it's not uncommon. Have you heard Rod Stewart lately? Robert Plant? Stevie Nicks? Roger Daltrey? Phil Collins? Madonna? Jim Kerr? Alison Moyet? Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan? Fergal Sharkey of the Undertones? Chrissie Hynde? Don Henley? Sting? Mick Jagger and Macca? John Lydon? Bob Dylan? Paul Simon? Bonnie Raitt? Lou Reed?

Regardless of whether or not they were well liked by any of us here, most of these people could wow a crowd with powerful (if not always 100% tuneful) vocals. In my opinion, the majority of them have lost that ability somewhat; some more than others - I heard Rod Stewart singing live in 1998 and was horrified at how badly his voice had... curdled, is the most accurate description. Compared to many of his contemporaries, Bono's doiong a fantastic job - he was in damn good voice at Twickenham, from where I was standing, anyway.

You have no need whatsoever to apologise for expressing your opinion, my friend - that's what we're all here for. :applause:

Last edited:
L03VIk said:
Paul McCartney has smoked for 50 years, and listen to his voice! Sounds excactly like the Beatles, so I don't think the smoking is the reason why the voice changes. Same goes for someone like Don Henley of the Eagles.

McCartney and Henley sound relatively the same because they never did the extreme things with their vocals when they were younger, that Bono did when he was younger. In other words, they didn't demand as much from their voice. Thus, not damaging it as much, either.

Re: Re: Sad about Bono's voice at Live8

sallycinnamon78 said:

Still - have a heart! Bono is 20 years older than he was at Live Aid! Aging, combined with continuous strain on one's vocal cords, is hardly conducive to belting out songs like a 20 year old... that's unrealistic. The man is 45.

It's sad to see singers losing the strength in their voices, but it's not uncommon. Have you heard Rod Stewart lately? Robert Plant? Stevie Nicks? Roger Daltrey? Phil Collins? Madonna? Jim Kerr? Alison Moyet? Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan? Fergal Sharkey of the Undertones? Chrissie Hynde? Don Henley? Sting? Mick Jagger and Macca? John Lydon? Bob Dylan? Paul Simon? Bonnie Raitt? Lou Reed?

Regardless of whether or not they were well liked by any of us here, most of these people could wow a crowd with powerful (if not always 100% tuneful) vocals. In my opinion, the majority of them have lost that ability somewhat; some more than others - I heard Rod Stewart singing live in 1998 and was horrified at how badly his voice had... curdled, is the most accurate description. Compared to many of his contemporaries, Bono's doiong a fantastic job - he was in damn good voice at Twickenham, from where I was standing, anyway.

You have no need whatsoever to apologise for expressing your opinion, my friend - that's what we're all here for. :applause:

Couldn't agree more Sally.

I've been singing (not professionally) on and off for years and my voice has definately changed, tho I also smoke :reject: which I know is a contributing factor. I still have a fair bit of strength in my voice generally speaking, but not like I had say 5-10 years ago (I'm 35 now).

What I can't do is sing song after song where I'm required to stretch my vocal chords to their limit, as I soon begin to lose control of what I'm doing and my throat also suffers for it. That's where I really do have to tip my hat to Bono, as despite the odd set back now and again, he can do this for 2 hours during a concert.

I was quite chuffed when I managed to hit and hold the "Can you hear me when I SIIIIIIIIINNNGG" high note from SYCMIOYO, without resorting to my awful falsetto tho. :wink:

Re: Re: Sad about Bono's voice at Live8

sallycinnamon78 said:

It's sad to see singers losing the strength in their voices, but it's not uncommon. Have you heard Rod Stewart lately? Robert Plant? Stevie Nicks? Roger Daltrey?

I'll give you the others but Roger Daltrey never sounded better than he did during Live 8. He almost reminds me of Springsteen. Bruce is in his fifties and yet his voice has gotten more powerful and soulful as the years have gone on.

Also remember that back in the 80's Bono was singing basically through his throat. I remember reading that (I think before the Zoo tour) he had gone for lessons on how to expand his range and use his throat less and use his chest more (akin to an opera singer).

I'll bet if he really wanted to, he could sing almost exactly like he did back in Live Aid, just that he's been using a different singing style for a while now.

Re: Re: Re: Sad about Bono's voice at Live8

brianh20 said:

I'll give you the others but Roger Daltrey never sounded better than he did during Live 8. He almost reminds me of Springsteen. Bruce is in his fifties and yet his voice has gotten more powerful and soulful as the years have gone on.

Also remember that back in the 80's Bono was singing basically through his throat. I remember reading that (I think before the Zoo tour) he had gone for lessons on how to expand his range and use his throat less and use his chest more (akin to an opera singer).

I'll bet if he really wanted to, he could sing almost exactly like he did back in Live Aid, just that he's been using a different singing style for a while now.
roger daltery has hasnt sang live, properly for years

Back
Top Bottom