Rotating stage on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2tours.com says, according to :

Stage rumoured to be a rotating one, keeping up with vertigo concept.

starsgoblue said:
I would imagine they would just rotate for the performance of Vertigo... although UTEOTW might be sweet with that setup too.

I think just about anything could be awesome with that sort of set-up. I'm now imagining all of U2's catalogue being performed on such a stage ... :drool:

That's not going to work at all. I can imagine the band feeling like a bunch of tools rotating around like that, especially Larry. The whole idea sounds very cheap. Just the music for me thanks!

I cant see the band being happy with that idea really!
Smacks of a Westlife concert!!!!!:huh:

No massive gimmicks nice,plain and simple just let the music speak for itself like the last tour.
Elevation worked a treat!:yes:

If I know U2 at all, they will DEFINATELY not go ahead with this plan. It sounds so ridiculous. This isn't a fucking circus, it's a U2 concert! (I agree Bono's tart)

AussieU2fanman said:
If I know U2 at all, they will DEFINATELY not go ahead with this plan. It sounds so ridiculous. This isn't a fucking circus, it's a U2 concert! (I agree Bono's tart)

What if you were told U2 were going to have a lot of TV screens flashing slogans (ZooTV) or a huge mirrorball lemon (Popmart)? It sounds pretty ridiculous too. But remember that this is U2; they can pull off anything in style.

I'll bet you the stage will involve something circular and there will be some form of rotation.

I remember before the last tour a rumour was floating around that they would have the main stage right in the centre of the arena, but that never panned out. Personally i like the regular stage setup with a b-stage. Unless of course there's dancing tigers and prancing leopards then i'm all for the rotating stage. :wink:

Axver said:

What if you were told U2 were going to have a lot of TV screens flashing slogans (ZooTV) or a huge mirrorball lemon (Popmart)? It sounds pretty ridiculous too. But remember that this is U2; they can pull off anything in style.

I'll bet you the stage will involve something circular and there will be some form of rotation.

Oh no, all the Zoo Tv and Popmart stuff was definately called for, and if I heard about them for the first time, I would have loved it. But a rotating stage is so cheesy, it's just not U2. Think about it, Vertigo and a spinning stage representing vertigo, it's so predictable and cliched, not to mention embarrassing for them. Just try and picture them actually playing songs on the rotating stage, really picture it. Now tell me it's a good idea. I would be very surprised if U2 actually go through with this idea. (I love the directional speaker idea though, that can be really cool) I know that Larry is hating this idea the most right now (if it's true of course).

It's actually u2 tour de* that has the snippet about the rotating stage. I get the sites confused myself from time to time.

I wonder how this would work. Would it be a regular end stage set up or would it be a concert-in-the-round type dealie?
I've only seen 2 CIR's before -Def Lepard a long time ago and more recently Prince on the Musicology tour, which was quite enjoyable. He had a section of the show where he played accoustic and sat in a chair that rotated, not like that's the same thing, though.:huh:
I've yet to have my first cup of coffee so if this seems rambling, sorry...

*that's weird

Last edited:
U2dork: yes my post said "according to - the site you mentioned " but that bit dissapeared :shrug:

I don't know, I think it could work really well - I'm sure U2's designers would pull it off.

AussieU2fanman said:
Oh no, all the Zoo Tv and Popmart stuff was definately called for, and if I heard about them for the first time, I would have loved it. But a rotating stage is so cheesy, it's just not U2. Think about it, Vertigo and a spinning stage representing vertigo, it's so predictable and cliched, not to mention embarrassing for them. Just try and picture them actually playing songs on the rotating stage, really picture it. Now tell me it's a good idea. I would be very surprised if U2 actually go through with this idea. (I love the directional speaker idea though, that can be really cool) I know that Larry is hating this idea the most right now (if it's true of course).

Hmm, I think it would depend upon how they do it. I was going to try to describe what I'm seeing in my head right now because I'm sure you'd think it's pretty cool, but ... when I try to explain it, it comes out as a total garbled mess that doesn't make any sense.

I still say that the stage will involve something circular. Just look at the progression of stages from ZooTV through Popmart to Elevation.

How about if the stage stood still and the entire audience rotated around it while they played Vertigo.

Of course they would have to have custom-built venues for every stop in the tour, but I don't see how that would be a problem. :p

if the stage does rotate, it will not be spinning fast like a merry-go-round, it will just slowly move around so that throughout the entire show the whole audience will get the same experience. It sounds like alot of the people who are objecting to this idea are imagining them moving pretty fast. I dont think that will be the case.

IMO, this idea would be a very cool, and very U2. They always do things that no one has done before and then a few years later every concert is doing the same thing.

This would also be a good way to use the "target" theme from the vertigo video. A rotationg target in the middle of the venue would be awesome! There would be way more "front row" seats too, if you think about it.

I really hope there is some truth to this rumor.

i like ridiculous

if you just wanna hear the music then put in the cd

a live show is supposed to be a performance, a stimulation of all your senses, hearing, seeing, smelling, touching, and um tasting

ok that didnt make much sense, but you understand what i mean

No, this rumor doesn´t come from u2tour. de
We quoted u2tours.com

Remember that we had the same rotating-stage rumor befor both the Popmart and the Elevation-Tour, and we all know how the stage looked like during these tours, so.....

Last edited:
a rotating stage in the middle would supportthe thread about paris, a scaled down attendance & more intimate etc...

Mike

I remember for Elevation there were rumours for quite some time about them playing "in the round" which means having the stage in the center of the arena. I kinda of like that idea because then it eleminates the who gets inside the heart issue. If they play in the round then more people will have "front row".

I´m not sure my friends :scratch: because a rotating stage is not a new idea at all, just check out Peter Gabriel Growing Up Live DVD or Phil Collins Live At Loose In Paris

I can´t remember who was the first musician in using the rotating stage, but I think it was during the 90´s

It´s pretty weird, since I tought U2 will play a big Tour again ( Like Pop Mart or Zoo TV ), reaching South America, Australia, etc.
If that so, they must play in Stadiums here, since there aren´t "Arenas" here:yes:, but, on the other hand, a rotating stage works better in a smaller place like Arenas.

Now I feel like Pre-Pop times, when I had no idea what will be the next Tour concept, neither Stage desing, etc :confused:, but I still feel U2 wants to go with another Elevation Tour, I don´t know maybe is the similar Band´s look, music, etc. Before every U2 album, the band changed their look, but now their have looked the same since 2000:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

For sure Zoo TV was their best ever stage, and it has been a Top 10 Rock Tour from all times
Now I´m thinking in another concept shows, as well stages, and I remember shows like Pink Floyd "The Wall" ( the first ever Tour using a Concept stage, as well visuals, etc ), Peter Gabriel "Secret World Tour", etc, and I´m trying to imagine a whole new show concept, as well a stage for that concert.

The Title "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and single title "Vertigo" gives me some ideas. The main concept is a U2´s fighting against a powerful world lider ( not a man, a dark draw you can´t see his face until the end of the show ) who wants to drop an atomic bomb, but not an atomic bomb like the ones dropped out to Japan, is an atomic bomb that makes some changes in person´s attitudes and emotions ( something related with personal lyrics of HTDAAB ), and the band must try to find that bomb, but, given is NOT a physical bomb that you can see, is 100% harder. The band has some clues, so they´ll go to this lider´s building ( the Stage will be a front´s big building like Pentagon or KGB ) but they don´t know the room where is he, so trough concert Bono will moving around several different rooms, every one with some deep and dark feeling, like Hate, Fear, Vertigo, Greed, Hysteria, etc...but in the end Bono realizes the only way out is find his OWN room !!!!! :up: :heart:

So the main stage will be a big goverment build front, and every time Bono goes to a room, the visual and the screen will have images for that feeling.
When Bono´s about to give up, he runs away out to the building and he has a meeting with his friends ( The Band goes to a mini-stage to perform an acoustic Set ) and then he comes back

What do you think ???

WOW; for me is an amazing idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

ponkine said:

The Title "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and single title "Vertigo" gives me some ideas. The main concept is a U2´s fighting against a powerful world lider ( not a man, a dark draw you can´t see his face until the end of the show ) who wants to drop an atomic bomb, but not an atomic bomb like the ones dropped out to Japan, is an atomic bomb that makes some changes in person´s attitudes and emotions ( something related with personal lyrics of HTDAAB ), and the band must try to find that bomb, but, given is NOT a physical bomb that you can see, is 100% harder. The band has some clues, so they´ll go to this lider´s building ( the Stage will be a front´s big building like Pentagon or KGB ) but they don´t know the room where is he, so trough concert Bono will moving around several different rooms, every one with some deep and dark feeling, like Hate, Fear, Vertigo, Greed, Hysteria, etc...but in the end Bono realizes the only way out is find his OWN room !!!!! :up: :heart:

So the main stage will be a big goverment build front, and every time Bono goes to a room, the visual and the screen will have images for that feeling.
When Bono´s about to give up, he runs away out to the building and he has a meeting with his friends ( The Band goes to a mini-stage to perform an acoustic Set ) and then he comes back

What do you think ???

WOW; for me is an amazing idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

I don´t know how the hell I just had this idea, actually I had while I was writing the post !!!!!!:up: oh my God, is so, so good and different :happy:

That would be cool assuming the stage was in the center, like prince did......That would be amazing!

one4u2 said:
That would be cool assuming the stage was in the center, like prince did......That would be amazing!

actually I was thinking in a front Stage ( with surround sound ) with big screens ( bigger than Zoo TV ones and Smaller than Pop Mart one ) and a central mini- stage, like Zoo TV, because it will be more powerful :)

Back
Top Bottom