Quotes Needed: U2’s Must Play List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hey guys!

Currently, I am working on an article for the site called "U2’s Must Play List." The article will discuss songs U2 fans "expect" to hear when they go to a U2 show, and the songs that define the U2 live "experience."

Would love to get your opinions and quotes on this one. Please remember to give permission to be quoted.

Thanks - you're the best!!!
C :)

Do we post them in here?......I'm just not sure because this thread is empty....:wink:

"Personally, I know that the band MUST play "Where The Streets Have No Name" at every stop on the Vertigo tour. It's undeniably the most affecting song they have, and it gives everyone in the crowd the feeling that we are all in this world together and all aspire for something greater. Everyone has their favorite U2 songs, but in concert, there's only one "Streets""

(You have my permission to use the above quote)

"If they don't play Hawkmoon 269, the person next to me is getting their teeth knocked out!:angry:"

" I know a lot of fans have said that they're tired of hearing this song, but I have never seen U2 live before and if they didn't play 'With Or Without You' I would be very disappointed. It is a song that is just so very emotive and undeniably U2. "

Hope that makes some kinda sense....Quote away.....

I heard in another thread they might play Unforgettable Fire!

As long as they put emphasis into making an incredible transition into Streets I dont care what they play.

I definitely think "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a must play song. It's a fantastix studio track, but gets SO much better when played live. For example, on the Slane DVD, Bono's tribute to Omagh just made the song absolutely perfect.

And you have my permission to quote me!

You can quote me.... Definitely Streets, Bad, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, NYD, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, MD, Yahweh, COBL, One, OOTS (depends), Until the End of the World, I Still Haven't..., Stay, Electrical Storm, Please, Beautiful Day, Bullet, WOWY, Mysterious, I Will Follow... and as a bonus Gloria and Ultraviolet. I realize that they will probably play all of these during the course of the tour, since they routinely rotate two or three songs between shows.:wink:

With or Without You and One are as essential to a live U2 performance as food and water are to life.

Permission granted.

There is only one song on an objective list of songs U2 must play, and that is Where The Streets Have No Name. Nothing else in the history of live songs has the power to induce such an incredible and unified crowd response as this particular number. The universal emotional impact of One makes its inclusion in an object 'must play' list arguable, but it has not yet reached the heights of Where The Streets Have No Name.

Everyone has their songs that they would love U2 to play, and some will take that desire too seriously and be unhappy if U2 don't play certain songs. However, the only songs U2 really must play are the songs they want to play. U2 are sensational no matter what songs they choose to perform.

(Feel free to quote, I'm André Axver.)

All I Want Its You

but also:
WOWY
In A Little While
Walk On
Bad
SBS
stay
pride
RTSS

One song that HAS to be played is "Gloria", they'd tear the roof down when Larry starts the drum intro to that one. I hope they mix it up with some older songs as well this time. I'm not gonna be unrealistic and mention songs like "Surrender", but "Gloria" should certainly work out! It was played til end of the Lovetown Tour and is a song I think every U2 fan would like to hear again...

You have permission to quote me :)

The number one song on my playlist is: Where The Streets Have No Name

It's the only song that sent chills down my spine, made me laugh uncontrollably and made me cry, all at the same time.

Oh, and i hate acronyms

You can quote me :wink:

got to be Streets - the intro to that song sounds like it's coming from heaven itself!
its a very magical moment that sends chills down my spine

permission granted!

I will focus on the essentials (and these aren't just personal favs). These are songs that a U2 concert would be inconceivable without:

I Will Follow or Out of Control
New Year's Day
Streets
One

To a lesser extent, Bad and BTBS would make the list. And Beautiful Day probably makes the list now too.

If you are looking for one essential song, it would have to be a tie between Streets and One. In the end I think those are the only two absolutely sacred cows.

Last edited:
It's also sort of interesting that I left WOWY off of my list. It hasn't aged as well as one might expect - I saw shows on the Elevation Tour where they didn't play it and I really didn't seem to mind. On the other hand, if they would have done that with Streets, I would have wanted my money back.

(Oh and permission granted.)

Last edited:
I would have to say both Until The End of the World and Streets. To me, they seem to have a culminative effect....Until The End of the World seems to act out lyricaly and physically as a battle between contradiction in one's own soul--good vs. evil, love vs. hate, darkness vs. light--and Streets seems to be an explosion of the choice--with the bright lights and the laps run around the stage. Gotta have them both. I would be crushed if they weren't played.

(you can quote me) :wink:

Where the Streets Have No Name is an obligatory experience that should not be denied any U2 fan, those new to a live show (you have no idea what you are in for) down to the habitual concert junkie. Nothing quite like the slow transition from the previous tune into Where the Streets Have No Name. The obscure filling of the area with atmospheric fog, the stage’s slow fade into a steady red glow, then BAMM! That’s right, you’ve just been blinded by several thousand watts of flash lighting……and you know you love it. So anyway, that’s my two cents.:huh:

You can quote me. One is a must have song - but I would love to hear "The Unforgettable Fire" or "Wire". Those were two songs that just stood out on the UF Tour in 1985. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of that Tour, it would be great if they played one of those songs.

´Out of Control´ would be great again. I remember the encore in Holland (2001). The guys played Walk On and as they were thanking the crowd, Bono asked Edge to play ´Out of Control´... It was the best moment of the evening (although some annoying Pop kids in front of me had no idea what song this was)

(Permission to quote)

I don't doubt they'll play the classics, but I'd like to see Running to stand still back.
It's one of their most beautiful songs, the Joshua Tree tour version with the piano is beautiful and the Zoo TV version is haunting, with the full band playing and "halleluiah" screaming at the end.
Perhaps Bono and Edge can play it on acoustic guitar.

Permission to be quoted, sure.

The song that is definitly expected would have to be Streets. That song has so much emotion and I bet that there is not one person who does not get all crazy when that song is played. It is a U2 classic!

Permission granted

There are tons of songs I'd love to hear but to hear "Jeasus! This is Judas!" always sends shivers down my spine. So if I have to pick one I go for Until the end of the world

Back
Top Bottom