Question about tour finale shows...ANYBODY BEEN TO ONE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the last tour finale show to have a really special set was the one that concluded Lovetown.

They were tired in Portland, but also did unique things. for instance, the crew came out on stage with shirts that spelled out a thank you message, and Bono thanked everyone who'd been on the tour, and fans. And of course the fans had thank-you signs that an Interferencer organized. It was a great show.

ruffian said:
They were tired in Portland, but also did unique things. for instance, the crew came out on stage with shirts that spelled out a thank you message, and Bono thanked everyone who'd been on the tour, and fans. And of course the fans had thank-you signs that an Interferencer organized. It was a great show.

Well, yeah. If you consider all that "special." :D

The difference this time is that they won't be burned out. 13 (?) shows, a little over a month on the road, a trip where they are spending significant time in only a few cities (In Australia: 5 days in Brisbane, 7 days in Sydney, 5 days in Melbourne). If there's one thing that's consistent about all the reviews of the Australian shows so far, it's that they're "relaxed" "playful" "energetic" etc. I don't see that running out of steam that quickly. I don't know about doing anything special, but I bet it's one hell of a show in Hawaii, not the usual "thank fuck that's it" that end of tour shows normally seem to be.

Jeannieco said:
What are they like? Do they do something special other than the champagne thing? I am guessing Bono is going to break it out on the last night, but do they play extra songs?

With U2 they are not usually major events. The odd joke on the band from roadies etc might happen later in the set and yep, the champagne corks might fly at some point too, but I wouldn't expect anything more than the usual 22-24 song set list or any major surprises from the U2 back catalogue.

What you can guarantee is the on stage collaboration between Pearl Jam and U2. The bands are good friends, especially Bono & Eddie, and going by what happened in Melbourne tonight, Rockin' In A Free World, would be one good bet for a tour closer.

Whatever happens it will be a great gig to go to in Honolulu. I saw both bands within a couple of days of one another and both shows were fantastic. Having both bands on the same bill is a real treat.

Re: Re: Question about tour finale shows...ANYBODY BEEN TO ONE?

neilm said:

With U2 they are not usually major events. The odd joke on the band from roadies etc might happen later in the set and yep, the champagne corks might fly at some point too, but I wouldn't expect anything more than the usual 22-24 song set list or any major surprises from the U2 back catalogue.

What you can guarantee is the on stage collaboration between Pearl Jam and U2. The bands are good friends, especially Bono & Eddie, and going by what happened in Melbourne tonight, Rockin' In A Free World, would be one good bet for a tour closer.

Whatever happens it will be a great gig to go to in Honolulu. I saw both bands within a couple of days of one another and both shows were fantastic. Having both bands on the same bill is a real treat.

Awesome! I can't wait!! :):):rockon:

U2FanPeter said:
If your in GA near the stage bring Santa hats of felt reindeer horns. Bono and Co. may want to borrow them for a moment or two.

u2fp

I wish I had GA, but couldn't get tickets. I had to get reserved seats on the side in the first section, row 28. Oh well! It's my first U2 show so I don't have the GA experience to compare it to.
I will just be soo happy to be there!! Next time GA is a must! :)

I was at the tour finale at Lovetown, Rotterdam, 10 January 1990.
The snake in the backdrop was smoking a big joint... A joke from the Crew...

In the last Elevation show in Miami they were just going through the normal steps and left right afterward. Nothing really speacial. At the end of the second US leg on this tour in Portland, same sort of thing. There was the crew thanking the band on stage, but the band didn't do anything themselves.

Jeannieco said:

I wish I had GA, but couldn't get tickets. I had to get reserved seats on the side in the first section, row 28. Oh well! It's my first U2 show so I don't have the GA experience to compare it to.
I will just be soo happy to be there!! Next time GA is a must! :)

just so you know, GA tix are pretty cheap on eBay... I think I even saw a 'buy it now' for $50 or $75 per ticket. These scalpers held onto them too long and might not be on the ground in HI to sell them on site. If you REALLY want GA, it might be worth it to pick one of these tix up.

u2wedge said:

just so you know, GA tix are pretty cheap on eBay... I think I even saw a 'buy it now' for $50 or $75 per ticket. These scalpers held onto them too long and might not be on the ground in HI to sell them on site. If you REALLY want GA, it might be worth it to pick one of these tix up.

Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom