Question about early U2-era songs on Vertigo tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
I'm returning to this board for the first time in a long time, so I apologize for being out of the loop.

Having just watched the Chicago '05 DVD, and seeing An Cut Dubh/Into the Heart and Cry/The Electric Co., and after hearing similar early U2-era tunes at the Philadelphia show I attended, I was wondering overall how the early songs went down over the entire tour, and if the band was happy with the crowd reaction.

I noticed over at u2tours.com that a lot of the early stuff was pulled from the set list at later stops on the tour....

Thanks for the help!

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Electric Co.
Gloria
The Ocean
Out of Control (fairly rare on this tour)
Snippet of Stories For Boys

I can't remember any more, I think that's most of them.

I heard early on that ACD/ITH had people snoozing a bit, but the band seemed to enjoy it since they did it a few times.

The Electric Co was one of the overall highlights of the tour for most of the U2 fans around here, and its just kick ass enough that most people seemed to get a kick out of it. The night I saw it people went nuts for the whole song.

Don't know much about Gloria other than it was played. I'd assume it was probably pretty succesful, it was huge news here when it got played. Only problem is it hasn't been played for 17 years, and its located on one of U2's lesser known albums. Then again, judging by the response EC got, and the kind of song Gloria is, it probably had people bouncing like mad. I know I would have been.

The Ocean was quite a shocker for most people, since its a short little odd number. I think the feeling I noticed when they played this in Toronto was that most people didn't even recognize it as a song, just sort of a improvized segue. This may be partly due to the fact that Bono remembered about 4 of the words, and improvised the rest, I dunno.

I don't think Out of Control was palyed much, but given its over-exposure ont he last tour i'm sure it's well known enough. At my show in toronto a band from the audience was pulled up and started playing this one, and then U2 took over about half-way, and it was a very cool, one of a kind experience. The band and the audience both loved it because of the special interaction involved.

Stories for Boys was what changed my opinion of Vertigo. I loved it as a snippet and thought it fit right in. I wish they'd kept using it.

Anyway, that's just my take, you'd probably like to hear from people who know the setlists a little better, or who attended more shows.
Hope you find what you're looking for.
~A.j.~

All I have to go by is the Boston audience for the three nights i went:
5/26:
Gloria: crowd seemed to enjoy it, I'm sure some didnt know it, but it was still pretty cool
The Ocean: snooozzze
Out of Control: I dont think a single person was sitting down, fists were pumping, it was the craziest 17,000 people could ever be at a u2 concert. i dont even care that edge messed up the intro, and didnt solo. it was amazing.
10/4:
Electric Co.: crowd went nuts
The Ocean: better this time, mostly due to snippet of Behind Blue Eyes
12/5: Gloria: not at nuts as 5/26

Back
Top Bottom