Question about 2005 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanPeter

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Is this the first tour where Bono has not ventured INTO the audience?

I know he sometimes stands on the guardrails near the tip of the ellipse, but did he go INTO the crowd like all their other tours?

u2fp

in Buffalo, he stood on the rail at the tip of the ellipse and looked like he was thinking of jumping into the crowd, but he changed his mind. With how bad his back is, it would probably be more dangerous than anything else for him to venture into the crowd

This topic reminds me.. what was the whole deal with the Live Aid thing in the 80's. I thought I read something in passing about the band being mad at Bono..can someone tell the story? thanks

I'm no expert, and I'm sure one of the guys will fill you in but I believe it was something like this:

They were meant to play "Pride" which was their big hit at the time, but of course Bono ran off with the girl. The band didn't know where he was so they were concerned about him as well as the fact they were running out of time to play Pride. After the show they thought that not playing Pride would damage their careers and they got annoyed at Bono for causing it.
Retrospectively I think they all agree that was what made the band.

That maybe innacurate, but I'm fairly sure that was the basic story

thelaj said:
I'm no expert, and I'm sure one of the guys will fill you in but I believe it was something like this:

They were meant to play "Pride" which was their big hit at the time, but of course Bono ran off with the girl. The band didn't know where he was so they were concerned about him as well as the fact they were running out of time to play Pride. After the show they thought that not playing Pride would damage their careers and they got annoyed at Bono for causing it.
Retrospectively I think they all agree that was what made the band.

That maybe innacurate, but I'm fairly sure that was the basic story

Yeah, I think that is correct.

I remember watching it and being a bit miffed they only played two songs though. I was really hoping for more.

I still haven't forgiven them. :grumpy: :wink:

Actually, the band was more upset at Bono on the War tour by him venturing into the crowds. At the US Festival, he climbed to the top of a 150 foot stage, up in the lighting area and above the whole crowd. But a week or two later, he got into major trouble at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, by going into the crowd and getting trapped at a 15+ foot dropoff/rail. He ended up having to jump the rail and after that show, Paul and the 3 other members sat him down, and told him...no more crowd surfing/venturing out with the white flag thing....

U2FanPeter said:
I'm trying to remember if Bono ventured into the crowd on Zoo or Pop(excluding their nightly entrance)

u2fp

I think he jumped into the crowd on Zoo TV during Until the End of the World. I can't remember if he actually made it to the ground, or if he just kind of hovered there, being held up by fans and whatever security guard had him by the back of his pants.

He definitely used the step platforms and got as far as standing there with just one leg and being held by the crowd supported by his other leg... I had the pleasure of holding his hand and providing leverage twice :drool:

Not sure if that counts in your definition...

blueeyedgirl said:
So that makes how many times in all you touched Bono upon his person??? :wink:

:reject:

He's squishable... A girl just has to.. :shifty:

And hmmm, I am sturdy... helps to be have someone sturdy when he steps on the platform :D

Just sorta on topic.. i saw Bon Jovi in NJ last week and they did something cool but I do not think it would fly at a U2 show. The show began with the band on stage.. and behind the sound board was a mini stage , and John walked through the back of the crowd and up on to it for the first song, and then he walked through the aisle on the floor. And another time during the show, he walked off the stage with security around him, walked through the crowd to a small stage in the middle also...

Didn't Bono surfed on the GA crowd at the end of "the Fly" for a couple of shows early on the first leg of the Elevation tour?

cant remember him going into the crowd during popmart? he stood infront of the rail, but that was about it from what i seen, he done the same thing on the san sebastian boot i have from this tour,

Back
Top Bottom