Protect Yourself! (Kinda misleading...but what the heck!) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Protect Yourself! (Kinda misleading...but what the heck!)

I'm going to the show in Sweden in 4 months, and as a musician (even if it's just a hobby) I want to protect my ears.

How loud is the show?
What plugs should I use?

I was at the Elevation how last time, so this will be my 2nd time.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 AM   #2
Babyface

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Very good question. My hearing has gotten worse and wose from going to concers but for the most part I'd say any sort of ear protection is better than nothing.

I usually use those little foam buds that fit into the ear. You can buy them at the local pharmacy.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:38 AM
I've never been to a rock concert, but I know my hearing is sensitive sometimes so I am thinking I should take some earplugs just in case I have any problems. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do, so I'm interested in seeing what others have to say on this thread.

How well does the sound fill the arena (especially in the Fleet Centre, Boston, where I'm seeing my three shows)? I have nosebleeds for the first night and GA for the next two, and while I am thinking I should carry earplugs with me just as a precaution for the GA shows, should I bother for the nosebleeds or won't the sound be as loud back there?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-30-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
Babyface

Local Time: 07:38 PM
for all
Old 03-30-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
Babyface

Well the closer you are to the stacks, the louder the sound is. It also depends on the angle at which the sound hits you as well.

I remember seeing The Cure about six years back and having my righ ear ringing for a day and a half from the angle I was sitting at. I've never been to a U2 concert before but I imagine that the sound quality is crisp and clear with even levels.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I've never been to a rock concert, but I know my hearing is sensitive sometimes so I am thinking I should take some earplugs just in case I have any problems. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do, so I'm interested in seeing what others have to say on this thread.

How well does the sound fill the arena (especially in the Fleet Centre, Boston, where I'm seeing my three shows)? I have nosebleeds for the first night and GA for the next two, and while I am thinking I should carry earplugs with me just as a precaution for the GA shows, should I bother for the nosebleeds or won't the sound be as loud back there?
I'll look out for you at the show, old friend.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
The Fly

The sound on Monday night was not that loud. I had to wear earplugs for Kings of Leon, but I took them out for U2. I only noticed a slight ringing when I went to sleep. Not bad at all. I was in the upper section of the arena though.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Re: Protect Yourself! (Kinda misleading...but what the heck!)

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Edge89
How loud is the show?
What plugs should I use?
I was directly in front of The Edge. My ears are still ringing to a certain degree. Not as bad though. It doesn't really matter what you wear. Anything will help. The couple next to my literally shoved cotton in their ears
Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by *RG3*
Well the closer you are to the stacks, the louder the sound is.
There are no stacks with the current stage design. I take that back, there are some hanging from the rafters up above the audience. Oh and a couple of vintage amps stage right from Larry.