Post from Zootopia ... Rehearsals from Mexico!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's time to put the following songs to rest:

New Year's Day
Pride
With Or Without You (unless Bono's new voice allows the band to go back to the R&H version of the song)
Mysterious Ways
Walk On (the live version just doesn't work for me)

I'd like to see them add or bring back:

Xanax and Wine (although Fast Cars will do)
Exit
Please (full band version from Popmart)
The Electric Co.
Stories For Boys

First off, how do we know these rehearsal reports are even real? :eyebrow:

Secondly, Gloria would be awesome to hear live again, so would a reworked version of "Lemon." I'd say there's a 99% chance that if they play it again it will be very different from its last incarnation.

A Celebration???? Are they serious!? A garbage song that's not even on an album-- this would surely put the majority of the crowd to sleep. I'm a die hard fan, and I didn't even know the song existed till a few months ago. Even Steve Lillywhite mentioned in the recent interview on U2.com that the song was (paraphrased) "written out of U2's history because it's terrible!"

Who knows, a complete reworking (25th anniversary single perhaps) might yield a great song, but right now I've no desire to hear the original version.

Bring back Electric Co!

Roland of Gilead said:
I'm going to Costco on the day of the show to buy a bag of lemons. I'm throwing them up on the stage to drive home a point. Play it! :drool:

In 1997 in Boston on the last day of the 1st US leg, the U2 crew came out before the 1st encore with bags of lemons and handed them out to the people around the b-stage for us to throw on stage during the boom-chas. :)

tlt29 said:

New Year's Day
Pride
With Or Without You (unless Bono's new voice allows the band to go back to the R&H version of the song)
Mysterious Ways

Exit
The Electric Co.
Stories For Boys

they can NEVER get rid of mysterious ways!!! not only is it one of their BEST live songs every tour....but also, what are we bellydancers gonna do w/out it?! :flirt: :dance:

A Celebration certainly isn't "rubbish" . In fact, it's one of their catchier songs that would sound great live.:up:

Gloria, would be fantastic.

Lemon, a real good track, but I would prefer something else from Zooropa or an oldy that hasn't seen the light of day in recent years.

Why do people keep begging for OOC....like it's a staple or something. it was played last tour, but prior to that, it had been a long time...

ALso, Stories for Boys? People say it HAS to be played....Why? that hasn't been around in god knows how long....

popbellydancer said:

they can NEVER get rid of mysterious ways!!! not only is it one of their BEST live songs every tour :flirt: :dance:

Although I totally agree, I've got a horrible feeling it's going to get dumped.

There's not even been a sniff of it in the run up to the tour this time.

they HAVE to play Red Light!!!!

omg!!!
its bin AMAZING every tour EVER!:drool:

2 songs they have praticed but never played AND should play on this tour : Red Hill Mining Town and Acrobat.

Hasn't Bono been unable to hit the high note of Red Hill Mining Town since recording it in the studio, and that's why they haven't played it?

tlt29 said:

New Year's Day
Pride
Mysterious Ways

Exit
The Electric Co.
Stories For Boys

So you are suggesting that U2 drop "With or without you", quite possibly their biggest hit that everybody in the audience knows word for word, and replace it with 'Xanax and wine", a demo version of a song that was later re-written into "Fast Cars", a song the band didn't even feel was up to snuff to be included on their album? I'm sorry, but that probably won't happen.

Pride
New Years Day
With or without you

These songs are NEVER getting dropped. They might not be played at every single show (even though they probably will be), but they will never put them to rest. Mysterious ways will be one that pops in and out, and Walk on will probably never be played again.

Numb1075 said:
ALso, Stories for Boys? People say it HAS to be played....Why? that hasn't been around in god knows how long....

Agreed! Stories For Boys was the second album track EVER to be cut from U2's live setlists, the first being Shadows And Tall Trees.

Dr_Macphisto said:

So you are suggesting that U2 drop "With or without you", quite possibly their biggest hit that everybody in the audience knows word for word, and replace it with 'Xanax and wine", a demo version of a song that was later re-written into "Fast Cars", a song the band didn't even feel was up to snuff to be included on their album? I'm sorry, but that probably won't happen.

Pride
New Years Day
With or without you

These songs are NEVER getting dropped. They might not be played at every single show (even though they probably will be), but they will never put them to rest. Mysterious ways will be one that pops in and out, and Walk on will probably never be played again.

On the whole, I agree. However, those songs have been dropped in the past, or nearly. Bono wanted to drop Pride on Popmart but the band talked him into playing it. New Year's Day was dropped on both ZooTV and Popmart but brought back into the setlist only after Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and If God Will Send His Angels were retired. With Or Without You's current status is actually 'cut', as it was removed from Elevation setlists after three shows on the third leg.

Dr_Macphisto said:

Pride
New Years Day
With or without you

I never said it would - I said that's what I would like to see.

New Year's Day has run it's course. I like the song, but I don't think it still warrants inclusion in the regular setlist.

Pride and WOWY have been extremely weak on the last 2 tours. Go listen to the R&H versions of both songs, then listen to the Elevation versions. There's a HUGE dropoff in the quality of the performances.

Unless, as I said in my original post, Bono's new voice will enable him to sing WOWY at a R&H level, they should put it to rest.

tlt29 said:

Pride and WOWY have been extremely weak on the last 2 tours. Go listen to the R&H versions of both songs, then listen to the Elevation versions. There's a HUGE dropoff in the quality of the performances.

always hate when i hear fans say listen to the bootleg and compare this performance, etc...

it is a very different thing listening back to back versions on bootlegs from many years apart, and actually being there hearing the song live. wowy is not the same as it was when they played it during joshua tree tour, but it is still good when you are there hearing it live, and hope they play it at all 7 shows i'm going to.

jphelmet said:

always hate when i hear fans say listen to the bootleg and compare this performance, etc...

it is a very different thing listening back to back versions on bootlegs from many years apart, and actually being there hearing the song live. wowy is not the same as it was when they played it during joshua tree tour, but it is still good when you are there hearing it live, and hope they play it at all 7 shows i'm going to.

I've seen 7 shows over their last 2 tours, and I was not impressed with either Pride or WOWY live each time it was played.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
ok so I feel like a complete douch with this question, but...

what is Fast Cars?
I've never heard it.

Fast cars was a bonus track only available to buy in UK & Japan on the special edition set with a free book.:sexywink:

I take the point about With or Without You and Pride not being as amazing as they used to be - but you have to realise that most people apart from the really hardcore and/or wealthy U2 fans will attend just one show per tour. Some may only attend one show their entire lifetime and for the band to drop arguably their biggest hit, especially for something fairly obscure eg Xanax and Wine (another great song would be a different matter), would be extremely disappointing. And to compare every version of WOWY to the performance from R&H or Rock's Hottest Ticket is a bit unfair don't you think? If we're talking about dropping old songs - I Will Follow would be my candidate (prob won't happen I know) - I love the song but it's been played loads and it's not close to as moving or impactful as Pride or WOWY.

Back
Top Bottom