popmart stage versus vertigo stadium stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the POPMART tour hold soo many dear memories to me...there will never be another tour like that....

I remember looking forward to that for soo long...it was incredible...I was 15, jumping up and down outside in the freezing cold waiting for my brother to pick me up haha...

what a great night...

then again, Vertigo stage does kick some serious ass ...shit, U2 kicks ass haha

As long as there is a stage or a tour to talk about...I don't care how they do it

I'll see your Vertigo and raise you:

U2%20PopMart%20R05.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R04.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R01.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R02.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R03.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R06.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R07.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R09.gif

U2%20PopMart%20R10.gif

:drool:

Nice photos of the PopMart stage.

No wonder tickets cost a whopping $50 back then.

Last edited:
ok i just watched the kmart press conference, and they had 3D renderings of what the Popmart stage was going to be. I noticed some things that never ended up part of the production, check it out:

pop1.jpg

you'll notice there is an extra pole with the olive on the top on the left. there are arms, that orginally are in an upright position, but then they lower and extend themselves. in this picture they are in the extended position.

pop2.jpg

the arms have lights on them, a lot like spot lights. the arms then spin around in a circle.

pop3.jpg

there were going to be tons of them.

pop4.jpg

it looks like it would have been sweet as hell, i wonder why they took them out.

That looks a lot like the expandable mirrorball Fisher did for Division Bell.

Wonder why it went?

Looking back - that Kmart press conference took place about 200 yard from where I am sitting right now.

Weird.

Those ideas for popmart do look amazing, but surely they aren't for arenas...the stagewouldnt fit?

Someone mentioned a while back that the Vertigo images are better than Popmarts, but I disagree with that entirely.

To me it seems as though the Popmart screen was designed with images in mind, it was an integral part of the show with a unified theme. The Vertigo images are a hotch potch of ideas and don't really reinforce what the songs are about (COBL, Vertigo & Yahweh are exceptions). It seems they just wanted a big screen without any idea of what to put on it...

U2mixer said:

I know you're seeking a debate with chizip, but to say the above is just TOTALLY WRONG!

ZOO was all about the media, about playing with imagery and making art out of technology. Being playfully sexy, but with serious overtones.

POP was about FUN. PopMart was about having a fuckin ball!
To say they just swapped tv screens for one big screen and trabants for lemons and olives actually makes my point.

Listen to the concerts, watch the videos/DVDs and you'll have to admit that they are TOTALLY different concepts.

LOVE both tours though :)
Zoo-TV was about media (manipulation); Popmart was about commerce and consumption... Both had the same feeling though, irony and sarcasm...

But several people who have seen both productions too conclude that Popmart was better than Vertigo for sure... The screenshots of Vertigo on the previous page are nice, but made in Milan (the DVD shoot; overproduced version of Vertigo) with a good digicam... Most pictures of Popmart were made at normal gigs with good old throw away camera's...

I've seen Popmart too, and it really was fantastic! Maybe the screen technology of Vertigo is better, but Popmart's technology was groundbraking at the time! The biggest TV of the world back than!

Back
Top Bottom