Place your bets - What will U2 play for Live 8???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim said:

Neil McCormick was just on TV talking about this. He said that U2 and Paul McCartney will open with Sergent Pepper.

as much as I don't want a combo piece this information did cause me to whimper a bit:wink:

Hmm -- why Bad? I love it, but been there done that at Live Aid.

Nobody has mentioned Miracle Drug, IMO it fits pretty well.

How about -

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Pride
Streets

I sure hope they get at least 45 minutes -- would suck if they don't.

Ooooh tough one!

Geldof's standing orders for the original Live Aid was for an artist/band not to play the most recent record, because it would be a cheap shot. Adam Ant got a bollocking for singing "Vive Le Rock", as opposed to hte more well known stuff form the early 80's.

Assuming it's the same rules as then, I don't expect to hear COBL (shame - I love it). It's probably reasonable to assume that as not everyone there will be a U2 die-hard, they will probably play the most recognisable U2 "anthems" if you want to call them that.

I reckon:

Beautiful Day (In reference to the day itself)
Streets (with the "Africa Africa" rap thru it)
One (It just suits the overall spirit of the day)

Hopefully they will actually get at least three songs out of the day!

Last edited:
nurse chrissi said:

as much as I don't want a combo piece this information did cause me to whimper a bit:wink:

Eeeew McCartney - more cheese than an entire Edam factory!!

:wink:

Jim said:

Of course the question on ALL of your minds is: "Will the Spice Girls reform?!"

By the sounds of things, they wanted to reform for the gig but have been asked...um, not to.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=144693994&p=y446947xx

I could see U2 going the Queen route from the first Live Aid-Songs that everyone will know to maximize fan participation-
Vertigo, Beautiful Day(though that might not fit the mood) , One...

of course they'll play the more political songs. there's NO way they'll play vertigo?!?!?!!!! the concerts a serious matter, so they wont be "swinging to the music"...

it'll be a pool of these songs:

Bad
Pride
One
Beautiful day
Where the streets have no name
Original of the species

It'll be 3-4 songs from this pool....

Today, I have heard 2 different sources both on tv and radio say, as stated in an earlier post, that U2 will open the show accompanied with Paul McCartney performing 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band', quite fitting I think.

How many more songs we'll get out of the boys is anyones guess, but I really don't see it being any more than 3 in total, the line-up is so huge, I really can't see there being time for any more.

I also think Streets and One are on the cards and again should suit the occasion very well, but heck I'll be happy if they come out and cover the Crazy Frog song. Alright, maybe not then.

What an amazing day this should be :drool: :drool: :drool:

I like that suggestion ^^^^ and I would love to see Bad again, that was so beautiful the first Live Aid.

Is it still 100% they will be playing the gig in Italy that night? If you notice their openers are also on the bill (The Killers in London and Kasier Chiefs in Philly). If U2 is playing first they are going to have to be quick so The Killers can perform and get to the show later that night.

Or maybe U2 will get new openers since one has dropped off of the show.

Last edited:
I would love to see Bono, Paul McCartney, and Mick Jagger all on the same stage singing a song together.

Three legends of music from the beginning to the present, :drool:

I'd love Streets to be there but I really don't think it's got any place in the day. The songs they choose will be mostly reflective (political) and part new:

Beautiful Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Bad
One

They will play three or four big crowd pleasers, and one of them will be vertigo.

U2 with Paul McCartney.....performing Sgt. Pepper....that would be the coolest moment in modern rock history. This is going to be a classic. I've waited decades for this. Hope this is going to happen. It won't get any bigger. Trust me.:wink: :wink: :wink:

U2 probably have more relevant songs for this day than anyone else there. I don't expect Vertigo at an occasion like this. Crumbs would be my #1 pick.

Is anyone talking about the reunited Pink Floyd? That's simply unbelievable. I still have my doubts that will happen.

2Hearts said:
Is anyone talking about the reunited Pink Floyd? That's simply unbelievable. I still have my doubts that will happen.
Well, according to a very reliable Pink Floyd website, the Pink Floyd Management have denied any discussions have taken place between the band members, but some die hard Floydians still think there's hope in a surprise appearance at the show, probably because that denial was posted before the concert was officially confirmed by Geldof. I doubt it will happen though. :(

brettstar said:
I'd love Streets to be there but I really don't think it's got any place in the day. The songs they choose will be mostly reflective (political) and part new:

Beautiful Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Bad
One

Hmmm, whilst I respect your opinion, Streets defintely has a place in the setlist in my book, considering it was inspired by Bono's 1985 visit to Ethiopia. It certainly has more place in the setlist than Sunday Bloody Sunday :wink:

jackbauer said:

Well, according to a very reliable Pink Floyd website, the Pink Floyd Management have denied any discussions have taken place between the band members, but some die hard Floydians still think there's hope in a surprise appearance at the show, probably because that denial was posted before the concert was officially confirmed by Geldof. I doubt it will happen though. :(

Even if the reunion doesn't take place, I'd love to see Pink Floyd on the bill.

Sgt. Pepper
City of Blinding Lights
Pride (They will play it this time because they couldn't the last)

If they play a fourth track it could be One.

By the way, do you think U2 or Paul McCartney will stay on stage after Sgt. Pepper is played?

Palace_Hero said:

How do you explain U2 playing Bad and (had they had time) Pride?

Well firstly, "Pride" was released in 1984 (September I think), whereas the Live Aid concert was in July of 1985. It wouldn't have been much of a plug for a record that was not in the charts.

Secondly, "Bad" was never an A-track anywhere as far as I know, so there was nothing there to promote.

In summary, U2 performed a 2 year old song in "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and an unreleased song, from an album released in the October of 1984.

Conversely, "Vive Le Rock" was released in JULY of 1985 from the album Vive Le Rock, which was being promoted by the tour - not surprisingly called the "Vive Le Rock Tour 1985".

OK?

While I, too, would love to see "Bad", I think it's a given that we'll get "One." That said, I think that's it's a song best saved for the end of the show. I wonder how they'll handle that.

Back
Top Bottom