Phoenix in the 3rd leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

communist

The Fly
I just dont get it! How come U2 is not coming to Phoenix in the 3rd leg???

They had 2 amazing sold out shows in Arizona. The crowd was amazing, the city is the 4th largest in the country, so the market is there...

Anyone have any idea why not?

The Start of the Tour Was Postponed. Less amount to time to cover the cities they want to cover between now and christmas...just no room to squeeze in another show.. the most the can do is 2 night's back to back without taking a night off for bono's voice to rest.

the only space i see where they could possible squeeze in a show would be nov 11th. but i don't even see that happening
nov 9th is san fran

nov 13th is miami

that 4 days for all the semi's to go cross country...

anyways.. i'm only getting one show in dallas!!

anyways.. i'm only getting one show in dallas!! you should go to some 3rd leg cali shows..not to far to drive!

Have Fun

Last edited:
How about ending the 3rd leg in Phoenix? still gives them time to get home for Xmas. But then that would be repeating themselves

By the way, neither of the Phoenix shows were sold out. I was able to pull up 2 GA tickets on ticketmaster.com a few days before the show (too bad I already had GA's and was only looking out of curiosity). The arena was packed both nights, however, but that was simply because scalpers were selling tickets outside the venue for as low as $35 each!

Phoenix currently has a struggling economy, and most people can't afford the ticket prices. In the end, this worked out great for fans who wanted to see the show for cheap...the scalpers, however, lost ALOT of money.

But judging from how absolutely FANTASTIC both Phoenix shows were, I would LOVE to see them come back! But I doubt it will happen.

FYI - Ticketmaster has held back tickets on all dates so far and released them in the week prior to the various shows.

FYI. Phoenix is the 5TH largest city....just passed Philly. Would love to see them come around again but it won't happen. The closest they'll get is LV or L.A.

3invertednines said:
By the way, neither of the Phoenix shows were sold out. I was able to pull up 2 GA tickets on ticketmaster.com a few days before the show (too bad I already had GA's and was only looking out of curiosity). The arena was packed both nights, however, but that was simply because scalpers were selling tickets outside the venue for as low as $35 each!

Phoenix currently has a struggling economy, and most people can't afford the ticket prices. In the end, this worked out great for fans who wanted to see the show for cheap...the scalpers, however, lost ALOT of money.

But judging from how absolutely FANTASTIC both Phoenix shows were, I would LOVE to see them come back! But I doubt it will happen.

Actually I don't think the Phoenix economy is struggling (check out rising home values for starters - that's a sign of a surging economy). And people have money to burn in this town. Scalpers over-estimated the market is all. People are willing to buy tickets at face value, but not exhorborant 3x as much prices. Therefore, some scalpers were forced to sell well below face. If anything, Phoenix residents are smarter - not willing to give in to overzealous scalpers. I'm proud of that.

Both shows sold out. Yes, even if scalpers bought the tickets, it's still a sell out. And yes, ticketmaster releases tickets for almost every show during the week of or days before a concert.

As for U2 not coming back in the fall, well they are playing 2 dates in Vegas for starters. Time constraints seem to be the biggest factor. But you never know....anything can happen. As far as U2's camp is concerned, both Phoenix shows sold out in less than an hour. Fear of a non-sellout will not be an issue in returning if time allows. U2 has a love for this city, right up there with Boston, NY and Chicago. I think if time allowed it, they would return, but looking at all of the cities they are trying to fit in, it seems difficult.

All I can say is Viva Las Vegas!

U2 could probably sell out another 3 shows in Phoenix without much trouble.

Phoenix is one of those places where attempting to judge is economic wherewithal by looking at traditional economic factors is folly. There is as much wealth in Phoenix as virtually anywhere in the country -- people earn it other places and bring it to Phoenix. Virtually any industry that caters to people with disposable income in Phoenix thrives.

Many people point to sports teams in Phoenix as a counter-example, but that's just wishful thinking. The reason that sports teams do not do well here when they are losing is because it's a transplated population that has alliances to teams in other places. When the teams win here, they sell out easily.

Particularly after the two shows they just had, U2 could easily sell 60,000 seats in Phoenix in a few hours, even if 40,000 of them were $200.

"By the way, neither of the Phoenix shows were sold out" -

----Actually, both shows sold out in 20 minutes each.

Phoenix currently has a struggling economy, and most people can't afford the ticket prices. ------

I don't know which statement you were more misinformed on. What a joke! The unemployment rate is usually under 5%.

What else you got?

Last edited:
To be honest, I know Phoenix had some spill over from the LA market, which was ridiculous. Talking with people in the GA line, many were from the LA area. Phoenix was a much easier ticket to get than either LA 1 or 2 or Anaheim 1 or 2.

You really have to think of it in terms of metropolitan area population, instead of city population. If we are talking cities, they didn’t even play Phoenix (but Glendale). Realistically, most people at a show will live within a 2-hour radius of a venue.

There are only six areas that they are hitting on both North American legs: NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston and Philly. These are also 6 of the top 7 largest Metropolitan areas (Phoenix was #14 as of 2000).

I met people at the concert who were from all over the country - Little Rock, San Antonio, North Carolina - young and old. It wasnt all about LA.

Has U2 ever played Phoenix more than twice on a tour ever? Where's Axver...?

I wouldn't mind it, being in Albuquerque, but its not going to happen.

cmb737 said:
Has U2 ever played Phoenix more than twice on a tour ever? Where's Axver...?

I wouldn't mind it, being in Albuquerque, but its not going to happen.

U2 opened up the Joshua Tree tour with 2 shows in Tempe, Apirl '87 and also closed the tour with 2 more in Tempe December '87. They came through twice for Elevation in 2001, 1st and 3rd leg, as well as twice for Zoo TV, 1st arena and 3rd Outside Broadcast leg.

There is a nice window on the tour between September 25th and October 3rd that they could fit some Phoenix dates in. They would still have to drive the trucks across country but they have plenty of time and what's a little gas when you are making maybe a few mil per show.

Be happy they have played 2 shows in Phoenix. Many people out there are are not even going to have the chance to see the band play once, let alone twice.

My bad, Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the Country and not the 4th... that is the official US consensus.

As far as the market doing bad here, I dont know about that one... the unemployment rate is low (under 5%) and land is going up day by day, infact one of the hottest places to invest right now...

The U2 shows were sold out in 20 minutes flat... now as for the late release of the tix... that was a way to make scalpers lose money, and it worked too.

I also know of someone who was working Ticketmaster at the time, and they said that the reason why the Arena released more tickets later on was because the Coyotes Season ticket holders get guaranteed reserved seats if they choose to attend the show in any section they want. All they have to do is call the Arena and tell them by the week of the show.

Once the deadline has passed, the Arena then can release the non-bought seats to the public, which is what happened.

This is the first time U2 has ever performed at this arena... this place is HUGE! According to one of the radio stations, when the stage was up, they realized that there were so many empty seats that the stage was not blocking, so they released those tickets on the day as well.

The result, well every seat in this huge arena was taken! I spoke to a guy who had come from Mexico to catch this show!

Last but not least, U2 have a special bond with Arizona, because of the MLK incident! So they should definetely come back here!

Last edited:
paultjr said:

U2 opened up the Joshua Tree tour with 2 shows in Tempe, Apirl '87 and also closed the tour with 2 more in Tempe December '87. They came through twice for Elevation in 2001, 1st and 3rd leg, as well as twice for Zoo TV, 1st arena and 3rd Outside Broadcast leg.

The closing shows of the Joshua Tree are in Rattle and Hum. Streets, MLK and With or Without You (the color footage of the dvd) are from the closing shows at Sun Devil Stadium, part of Arizona State University located in Tempe, AZ... 10 mins away from Phoenix.

communist said:
The U2 shows were sold out in 20 minutes flat... now as for the late release of the tix... that was a way to make scalpers lose money, and it worked too.

I also know of someone who was working Ticketmaster at the time, and they said that the reason why the Arena released more tickets later on was because the Coyotes Season ticket holders get guaranteed reserved seats if they choose to attend the show in any section they want. All they have to do is call the Arena and tell them by the week of the show.

Once the deadline has passed, the Arena then can release the non-bought seats to the public, which is what happened.

This is the first time U2 has ever performed at this arena... this place is HUGE! According to one of the radio stations, when the stage was up, they realized that there were so many empty seats that the stage was not blocking, so they released those tickets on the day as well.

The result, well every seat in this huge arena was taken! I spoke to a guy who had come from Mexico to catch this show!

Last but not least, U2 have a special bond with Arizona, because of the MLK incident! So they should definetely come back here!

I did see some great seats come up for Phoenix on the Monday before the show, but my schedule and bank account didn't allow me to reschedule my previously scheduled trip (I flew into Phoenix/Tempe for a surprise party on Saturday/home Sunday :banghead:). I had 1 GA come up, and then some great loge seats. I'm always checking TM just for the heck of it. But the week before the LA shows, there were no seats being released, at least not online thru TM that I could see. I'm guessing it could have just been an L.A. thang, especially with the millions of agencies in S.Calif - they are right across from Staples Center. Convenient, huh? Coincidence? Um, probably not...:huh:

I'm very grateful that they already played 2 shows here, and since PHX has a large population, it wouldn't hurt to come back in the 3rd leg!:drool:
[Come on boys..you know you want to!]:wink:

EvilBono said:
"Has U2 ever played Phoenix more than twice on a tour ever? "

Yeah, Elevation.

4/28/01
11/23/01

What third concert are you talking about?

Sold out or not, Phoenix was a "weaker" ticket. I got GA's for both shows easily. Even eBay was <$100 per GA. Factor that against Anaheim, or Los Angeles, (or even Las Vegas) and see that they would be better off adding more shows to LA or LV than drive the trucks back to Phoenix.

Phoenix, Seattle, Denver were all the "lowest" shows of the tour in terms of brokers/ticket values.

Even if Phoenix doesn't get another U2 show, they'll still have the distinction of being the sprawl capital of the world.

Back
Top Bottom