Pearl Jam was right. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:56 AM
I hear ya, and I agree that the system is definitely flawed, and TM and CC wield way too much power...it would be nice if there were some regulation or capping of convenience charges, especially as you pointed out for the smaller shows, so your convenience fee isn't 35-40% of ticket price (which I've seen).
But sadly the Gov't is not gonna do anything, TM is an efficient system that ultimately works reasonably well, the main problem is the cost, and since only the consumer bears it, artists(most of them anyway) and venue owners aren't gonna do much to try and change it.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #22
Babyface

Local Time: 05:56 AM
You do not know what a monopoly means. Or at least you do not demonstrate a good understanding of the term. A monopolistic industry does not have to be an industry controlled 100% by one firm. Ticketmaster is a monopoly because they alone can determine where bands play (#1), and they set the prices in the market, ie the fees they tack onto your ticket (#2). The market itself does not determine these two things, which in a competitive industry of competing venues and ticketing agencies it (the market) would (determine prices via competition).

Old 04-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #23
The Fly

Houston was sold thru the venues site..not ticketmaster
Old 04-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #24
The Fly

It's even worse here in Canada. We also have to factor in the currency differences and the sales taxes. That means that I can no longer afford to see U2.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #25
The Fly

I am not as concerned with the service fees as I am with where the tickets are going. How come so many of the best seats are not even available when tickets go on sale? These tickets seem to go directly from TM to the "brokers". How come I am subjected to a 2 or 4 ticket limit, yet the brokers can get hundreds of tickets? The days of scalpers offering bums $20 to stand in line at the ticket booth overnight are over, these tickets are coming right from the source.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #26
Acrobat

A Pearl Jam tour is on the horizon, check out their website with the mods checking in making sure everyones memberships are up to date.

In response to PJ taking on ticketmaster and selling tickets for 35-45 dollars, they are a special band. Other bands should not be compared to them in terms of fan loyalty bc none will compare
Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by editorinchief
If only one guy has a car then nobody else will bother trying to build a better wheel.
wrong analogy; a better one is:

If only one guy has a car and tries to charge you $165 a ride, someone else should manufacture another car and charge less.
in fact, dozens of people should manufacture cars and then it will be a fair and competitive market.

who's to say ticketmaster won't start charging $250 for GA anytime soon? they can do whatever they want....and don't tell me no one will buy them; they will sell.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:41 AM   #28
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by jammin909
A Pearl Jam tour is on the horizon, check out their website with the mods checking in making sure everyones memberships are up to date.

In response to PJ taking on ticketmaster and selling tickets for 35-45 dollars, they are a special band. Other bands should not be compared to them in terms of fan loyalty bc none will compare
Im up to date- membership number 38XXX !!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:37 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by vespertine
You do not know what a monopoly means. Or at least you do not demonstrate a good understanding of the term. A monopolistic industry does not have to be an industry controlled 100% by one firm. Ticketmaster is a monopoly because they alone can determine where bands play (#1), and they set the prices in the market, ie the fees they tack onto your ticket (#2). The market itself does not determine these two things, which in a competitive industry of competing venues and ticketing agencies it (the market) would (determine prices via competition).
I understand the term fine, TM does not have a monopoly.
I don't necessarily think you understand who Ticketmaster is:
Ticketmaster doesn't set the ticket prices...the band/band's management/promoter do that.
They don't determine where the band plays, again, same people do that.
They only provide the system for selling tickets for most of the venues.

They do determine the fee they charge, as Tickets.com determines what fee they charge (shockingly their fees are often as high and sometimes higher than TM's), and NEXT ticketing in New England determines their fees and many other regional ticketing outlets determine their own fees.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by editorinchief

Im up to date- membership number 38XXX !!!!
Damn, I thought I had a kick ass member # at 70XXX
Old 04-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by jammin909
With the Canadian National Anthem replacing Arc as the intro music to www.tenclub.net and Kat and Sea ending there posts lately with ", eh.", it appears that a tour of Canada is in the offing.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:31 AM   #32
Acrobat

looks like Ill be drinking some Molsons.....
Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:56 PM
I checked my membership number last night. lol You have a passport ready? It seems Canada is now requiring a passport rather then just a birth certificate to enter the country. Hmmm, I wonder what Canada is like this time of year? lol
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't think the passport restriction for Canada will go into effect for a couple of years.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #35
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by innocent_eyes
mmhmm, maybe if their music was better people would have listened...lol, jk!
People don't listen to Pearl Jam? Idiot.

PJ do a lot for their fans, more then the just about any comtemporary band.