Opening Song before U2 comes Out??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bravoland

The Fly
Relax... It's not another one of those threads..

What is everyone's opinion comparing wake up with the opening jingles of tours past

let's see..the beatles all you need/sgt peppers before elevation was great

i throughly enjoyed Miss imp/bittersweet symp. before popmart

television drug of nation before zoo

i think the popmart was the best... to be honest i miss the days of popmart.. i've enjoyed the elevation/vertigo tours but their was something very cool in the air looking back on popmart..

Zoo TV was in a league of it's Own..

All of them have been pretty sweet actually, tough question

:hmm: Tough question.

Here are the opening music songs I have heard/seen in person:

-Joshua Tree: All You Need Is Love
-Zoo TV Indoor: Be My Little Baby
-Zoo TV Outside Broadcast: Television, Drug Of A Nation
-Popmart: Bittersweet Symphony (Howie B did others on the first leg also, but I dont remember what they were. Born Slippy maybe was one?)
-Elevation: (several songs actually were played right before they came on) All You Need Is Love, Sgt Peppers, Higher Ground. There were several others as well.
-Vertigo: Wake Up

I dont think you can go wrong with Beatles songs (I would say it fit best on the Joshua Tree). Other than those I liked Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder.

All are pretty good really. Unf. Fire Tour had the worst one (even though I didnt see it). 4th Of July. :down: :wink:

Meh...I don't really care what songs are played before they come out.

Blue Room said:
All are pretty good really. Unf. Fire Tour had the worst one (even though I didnt see it). 4th Of July. :down: :wink:

And that one would be my favourite.

ouizy said:
Good Post.

:up:

I think Bush doing the "We will rock you" bit

kind of blew my mind...

:hmm: Is this thread about the show intro music or the song played before the show starts? Sort of the same I guess, but different.

If we are counting show intro music its no contest for me. Pop Muzik from Popmart followed closely by the Elevation Influx mix intro.

I actually think Wake Up sounds the very best. It's an amazing song, and the Wake Up/Vertigo transition is magnificent. I haven't experienced other shows, but I've been thinking that they should keep it for the rest of their tours.

I love Pop Muzik, but lisetning to Pop bootlegs... that thing went on forEVER! Jesus! How did they scream for so long! Maybe a song half that length. The Bush intro for ZooTV is pretty damn awesome, as is Drug of a Nation.

Wake Up gives me chills, but I don't really LOVE it.

Blue Room said:
:Unf. Fire Tour had the worst one (even though I didnt see it). 4th Of July. :down:

Axver is correct, again...

Blue Room, you have no idea how awesome 4th Of July sounded as the guys slowly made their way onto that stark, bare Unforgettable Fire stage with the house lights still up...

We went absolutely bonkers.

I think the contrast between the gloomy, funereal dirge of "July" wafting over the PA system, and the screaming excitement of 10,000 teenaged U2 fans created a most memorable atmosphere.

Bono would slowly walk to each end of the stage, smiling and waving to the upper levels, causing instant connections with many fans who believed he was waving directly at them.

Those moments are forever etched in my hazy memory, 20 years later, and cause me to still get goosebumps whenever I hear the eerie, strange sounds of 4th Of July on some of the old bootlegs.

PS. Anyone remember which song came on before OOC on the War Tour?

Last edited:
4U2Play said:

Blue Room, you have no idea how awesome 4th Of July sounded as the guys slowly made their way onto that stark, bare Unforgettable Fire stage with the house lights still up...

I think the contrast between the gloomy, funereal dirge of "July" wafting over the PA system, and the screaming excitement of 10,000 teenaged U2 fans created a most memorable atmosphere.

Bono would slowly walk to each end of the stage, smiling and waving to the upper levels, causing instant connections with many fans who believed he was waving directly at them.

Those moments are forever etched in my hazy memory, 20 years later, and cause me to still get goosebumps whenever I hear the eerie, strange sounds of 4th Of July on some of the old bootlegs.

I'm sure it was. I was joking, thats why the :wink: was after my thumbs down. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
It was, I would have put a :laugh: after it also but I get accused of being sarcastic by some here when I use that smilie. :shrug:

Yeah, I know what you mean...

I hate being accused of being sarcastic, ruins my whole fucking day.

I should learn how to use those smilie things properly.

I could say some really mean, nasty stuff, then just put one of those smilies at the end and everyone will think I'm just kidding around.

For example:

"U2 is the most overrated band in history, Bono is a self-important asshole and Larry can't even drum properly"

:wink:

Hey, this is fun

Wake Up was awesome! The open chords just grab your attention and the crowd singing and swaying back and forth to the "Oooohhhhh ooohhhh ohhhhhh's" gave me chills. Though I do remember Pop Muzik sending the crowd in Edmonton into a frenzy. :ohmy:

4U2Play said:

they did something similar at one of the shows i saw on the joshua tree tour. the house lights were still on when Stand By Me began to play. the crowd was growing restless and began singing along when bono came out with his mic to sing along with us. it was amazing.

By the sounds of it, I think Wake Up is one of the best... Because right before it comes on, you have that few second silence. And those pounding, raunchy, ryhtmic chords just take the staidum/arena. And I agree, when everyone would just belt out the "ooohhh ooohh, ohh ohh ohhh oh oh."

One of the most exciting points in the concert is when you hear that song come on.

4U2Play said:

Axver is correct, again...

PS. Anyone remember which song came on before OOC on the War Tour?

Yes, I saw two UF shows! I remember the flags on the stage. I don't remember what was played during the War tour. I just remember them coming out. It was a pretty small venue.

Back
Top Bottom