One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
slimJim said:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one put off by that speech before the song. A buddy I went to the show said to me, "F**k Africa! The only thing they’ve contributed to the world the last 100 years has been AIDS!" Kinda harsh but pretty accurate. The only time the world wants US intervention is when they want our money. They view us as stupid, fat, immoral, and easy marks.

The "Ugly American" - Exhibit A

Are you for real?

starvinmarvin said:

Are you for real?

Well, this isn’t the typical U2 thread. I lost friends on 09/11 and know people currently serving in Iraq and I just find it amazingly naïve and somewhat offensive that some people think that they can change the world with a few well-spoken words and warm sentiments. We’re already up to our necks in a cesspool in Iraq trying to crawl towards the light to get out and now Bono thinks it would be a great idea that before we even have a chance to clean the crap off ourselves to jump into the Deepest Darkest Circle of Hell aka Africa. The entire continent is a basket case rife with corruption, famine, disease, terrorists, slave traders, tin pot dictators, soccer fans, genocidal wars that no one seems to care about, crimes against the environment, and general lawlessness and disrespect for basic human rights. So what is it that WE are supposed to do about it? I love Bono and the band but please stick to singing songs and playing music.

Remember our latest foray into Africa namely Somalia. Remember how that turned out? We were trying to bring them food for God’s sake and what did we get for our trouble? We fought two wars and a cold war in Europe and now most “evolved” Europeans hate our guts and look on us with disdain. I had a well-heeled educated woman say to me in French café paraphrased “most of the problems in the world today are directly attributable to American policies and actions”. Like if America magically disappeared that would solve all the worlds’ problems. I guess she missed that day in school when they taught about WWI, WWII, Vichy, the holocaust, Communism, Fascism, and about the tens of millions of people that died and lie forgotten. America was left holding the baggage and bill, with a lot of help from the USSR, while now chaste peaceful Europe has gone on to more important things like making delicious wines and cheeses, expensive cars, impossibly tight shoes, and now passing moral judgments.

I’m all for human rights and you’re proselytizing to the converted with me but I find the whole “One” campaign remarkably glib and pretentious. America has already done her part but the game is stacked against us. We loose if we play. We loose if we don’t. “Why aren’t the American helping?” turns too quickly to “Why are the Americans here?”. We have our own problems and it’s time for Europe and the rest of the world to step up and for America to tend her own garden awhile. Kosovo is a European problem but who’s keeping the peace? Europeans? And for anyone who’s interested I’ll be reprising MY role as the “ugly American” in Frankfurt 06/04 – 06/16 so come holler at me. We’ll have coffee and talk about something boring and bourgeoisie like fashion or music.

sociopathetic said:
I’m all for human rights and you’re proselytizing to the converted with me but I find the whole “One” campaign remarkably glib and pretentious. America has already done her part but the game is stacked against us. We loose if we play. We loose if we don’t. “Why aren’t the American helping?” turns too quickly to “Why are the Americans here?”. We have our own problems and it’s time for Europe and the rest of the world to step up and for America to tend her own garden awhile. Kosovo is a European problem but who’s keeping the peace? Europeans? And for anyone who’s interested I’ll be reprising MY role as the “ugly American” in Frankfurt 06/04 – 06/16 so come holler at me. We’ll have coffee and talk about something boring and bourgeoisie like fashion or music.

What the hell. I cannot believe I'm reading this.

slimJim said:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one put off by that speech before the song. A buddy I went to the show said to me, "F**k Africa! The only thing they’ve contributed to the world the last 100 years has been AIDS!" Kinda harsh but pretty accurate. The only time the world wants US intervention is when they want our money. They view us as stupid, fat, immoral, and easy marks.

:|:|:|:|

Unbelievable...what a sweeping, untrue and sickening statement.

Do you honestly think that you deserve the things you take for granted like medicine and drinking water more than they do? They don't want handouts, they want to be able to stand on their own....as things are now they don't even have a chance to climb up the development ladder and AIDS is just a small part. Do you understand what the definition of 'extreme' poverty is or even how your own country plays a part in their situation?

Last edited:
What a joke. One is still an awesome song and one of the songs that I'm sure most people want to hear.

The comments made regarding Africa must come from someone who takes everyday life for granted. Maybe he should go spend a year in Africa and see how he handles it.

Back to the subject, drop Pride if you want but no f'n way drop One. :mad:

Last edited:
"I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one put off by that speech before the song. A buddy I went to the show said to me, "F**k Africa! The only thing they’ve contributed to the world the last 100 years has been AIDS!" Kinda harsh but pretty accurate. The only time the world wants US intervention is when they want our money. They view us as stupid, fat, immoral, and easy marks."

You're pathetic. Tell me, how often do you masturbate to photos of Himmler?

Well....that's what happens when you mix music and politics. You have people who agree and disagree with the cause. You know....kind of like red states and blue states. Personally, I'm not a big fan of musicians who do it and I could do without it but it's Bono's stage and he can do what he wants. Anybody doesn't like it can go get a beer and take a bathroom break.

Its the artists that speak out harshly against something or for something that has nothing to do with them, and that they do nothing about that need to shut their mouths.
One freakin rocks. Yeah I could do without pride, its getting old. But one takes on a totally different meaning every time I hear it.
:lol: its like the bible :wink:

Okay, let's everyone chill out here. I'm inclined to say that everyone is entitled to an opinion on Bono's involvement with Africa, but it is extremely offensive, not to mention incorrect, to suggest that the only thing that Africa has contributed to the world in the last 100 years is AIDS.

At the same time, as I said, Western involvement in Africa is a complex issue on which a variety of opinions may be held. But let's remember that Africa is a huge and diverse continent, and despite what we may think of Western involvement there, it is clear that a lot of innocent people are suffering needlessly in Africa.

Thank you, carry on.

To stick to the original topic...

One is one of my favorite all time songs, but I feel it's lost something this tour. The band just seems tired of it I guess. I remember during the Elevation Tour being brought to tears with "One." My 2 shows in Chicago I didn't feel anything like that.

Then again I find the whole "rollercoaster ride" of Elevation really absent with the Vertigo Tour. I have a feeling that if they stuck "One" in an encore with OTTS, Yahweh and 40, the emotion might come out much better.... When it's sort of "stuck" between Streets and Zoo Station, there isn't really any time to get off the high of those faster songs.

starsgoblue said:

Do you understand what the definition of 'extreme' poverty is or even how your own country plays a part in their situation?

Yeah, like I didn’t see that one coming. Somehow it always boils down to how the Americans are keeping the rest of the world from having clean water and medicine. No matter how much we contribute to charity it never seems to be enough. Hey, remember we don't have national insurance in the US and besides I live in Jersey so half the people I know don't have clean water or medicine. Yes there are poor sick people all over the world and no one should suffer needlessly no argument there and the comments made by a friend where made out of general frustration after getting raped by ticket scalpers, parking, and then seeing $5 shirts selling for $90 because they have a U2 logo on it. Top it all off when some rich guys comes off saying in the middle of a fuckin concert “now we need to help Africa”. Excuse me but we’re fighting our own civil rights battle here in the US and AIDS is still a big part of our community. Believe me I’ve seen suffering and poverty and it’s right outside your door. You don’t have to go half way round the world to find it. Fine, you want to help Africa. Stick a donation box in the arena next to the Amnesty Int. booth or merchandise kiosks and take donations. I’ll be the first one to contribute. But nix the phony canned feel good speeches that offer no solutions.

No...extreme poverty isn't in America. It's really only in developing countries, which the US isn't considered. Extreme poverty means households cannot meet basic needs for survival--they are chronically hungry, lack safe drinking water and sanitation, cannot afford basic education and basic articles of clothing.

Yes, there is definetly poverty in the United States....not that kind however....unless people in Jersey have to pay for the liberty of taking a crap. Comparing the health system in America to what is going on in Africa is a joke, don't even get me started on that...

"Sticking a donation box" isn't going to really cut it either...you seem to paint with a very broad brush. This ISN'T an issue of charity at all. There is alot of factors behind the reason that a country such as Africa is in the situation it is, inlcuding debts and the fact that it is not afforded the ability to have a fair market etc......and what's more is that is a solvable problem, not just an idealistic pipedream.

Last edited:
slimjim, you have some really valid points. yes, were fighting uphill battles here right in america, and we do get bashed left and right for being the source of all the worlds problems.
But we still have to try to help. Not just us, but other countries too.
The problem has to be at least acknowledged and not just swept under the rug.

I think it's the way One is segued...

One after Streets is not really a good combo in my opinion, I think it was better after With Or Without You. It was better...

I'd rather see it like this;

With Or Without You
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One
Yahweh

It would be a good closer.

if they closed like that people would be asleep before they even got to 40

they just need to drop one altogether, i know they wont because of the whole one campaign and everything, but they arent doing the song justice on this tour

thats just my opinion though

I guess I've never thought One was great live, even during ZooTV. The recorded version really can't be topped. But that's just me.

Look, I’m not getting into the whole my suffering is bigger than your suffering thing. I know that compared to the rest of the world we got it made. You’ll not get an argument from me there. I just don’t see how a tour of the most developed countries of the world and some nice words is going to change anything let alone some abstract notion like “establishing fair markets”. I’m not blind to the plight in Africa and maybe I’m a freak for thinking maybe some money sent their way might actually help with providing food, safe drinking water, clothing, and education but maybe I’m thinking too small scale. I’m one of those easy marks than rather just talk about helping the homeless actually give them a few bucks so they can get something to eat. Rather than just describe the problems give me some solutions. I Will Follow.

starvinmarvin said:

Are you for real?

I can’t believe I actually expressed in public what I did earlier but it was early and I wrote what came to mind so I guess that’s what I feel. But I hate that term and other derogatory terms applied at groups. As part of work I travel quite a bit and I’ve felt the stares and heard the snide comments. I’ve sat in coffee shops and cafés and listened to average people seriously put forth theories that Israel or the CIA were behind 09/11 and politely smile while inside my heart was breaking. It’s been almost four years since I lost my friends and I still don’t know why they had to die or understand the hatred behind such a horrible act. I just want to forget about the real world for a couple of hours and enjoy a show like before. When we were all together laughing, singing, and dancing without a care in the world and our lives ahead of us. I hate the war in Iraq. I dread my trips to Europe and feel like a pariah though I think I am a good person. I hate the fact that so many people die everyday because they are poor or due to senseless violence. Bono was right. “It’s a fucked up world”.

You know I'm really appalled at what this country has come to. The ignorance of some people makes me sick to my stomach. Why don't some of you imagine being in Africa's shoes for one day? I'm sure you will understand then what they are going through. Can you imagine if the roles were reversed? And Africa was the one who was in charge of the whole world and we were in a state of disarray? I can't understand how we can let these people die. They don't deserve it at all. Noone deserves to live in poverty anywhere. </rant>

Back
Top Bottom