On guitar... BONO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LJT said:

The extra guitar parts i imagine would all be done on the backing track:eyebrow: ...U2 always have the thing that it is just them as 4 guys playing on stage, any extra parts that are needed including minor guitar parts (if Bonos not playing) would be put on the backing tracks...anyway i have the Twickenham 1 Fly recording and Bonos part sounds fine to me....(someone please correct me if im completely wrong)...

...and to D-Bot i imagine Bonos a lot better than we actually see on stage or hear stage...as has been said hes a bit lacking in confidence with his guitar playing, so its likely hes not going to be doing a brilliant solo live anytime soon but hey who knows in private he could be kicking the edges ass:wink:

Edge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Me>>>>>>Bono>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You

I sorted that one out:wink:

ZeroDude said:

Edge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Me>>>>>>Bono>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You

I sorted that one out:wink:

:eyebrow:

Me everything else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You

...and i sorted that one out:D

LJT said:

:eyebrow:

Me everything else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You

...and i sorted that one out:D

Nah, Bono cannot compete with my pentatonic bizzlenatching:wink: You my honorable friend need not question my priorities for my wording will no doubt be far swankier than thee:wink:

speedracer said:
Maybe Bono really thinks he is playing, but the sound engineers have his track turned all the way down and are piping in a backing track. Now that'd be hilariousl

That actually would be hilarious. :lmao: In a cruel way, of course.

I'm pretty sure he played on I Will Follow last tour, not sure about this one. Also, didn't he play during Gone and Walk On?

Whatever the case, he's a great musician, and undoubtedly much better than some of those who poke fun at his playing. :madspit:

My first live U2 experience was during the last tour in Toronto...and what really impressed me, aside from Bono's vocals and guitar, was the way he played piano on Sweetest Thing.

Didn't he play on Last Night on Earth?

That was Popmart of course...U2 seems to have abandoned that song now, as well as every other song from Pop :tsk:

But it sure sounds like Bono's rockin' The Fly at Twickenham...I don't know why people are so critical of his playing, it's not THAT bad :shrug:

Chizip said:

i heard there was actually somebody under the stage playing the harmonica for him

I think you are just being nutty

harmonica.gif

***Disclaimer***

All posts attributed to "angelordevil" have recently incorporated a rather copious number of visual aids. We expect this activity to subside once the novelty of said poster's new-found discovery of display capabilities diminishes.

Thank you...sincerely

really

truly

:wink:

Last edited:
From what I can tell, Bono actually played the acoustic guitar on "Kite" (see Boston DVD). But I think someone said it best earlier: for Bono, the guitar is essentially a prop (see "Walk On" on Slane/Boston DVDs --- not even close to playing).

redsox04 said:
From what I can tell, Bono actually played the acoustic guitar on "Kite" (see Boston DVD). But I think someone said it best earlier: for Bono, the guitar is essentially a prop (see "Walk On" on Slane/Boston DVDs --- not even close to playing).

I think you're right. You can clearly hear acoustic guitar on Kite, Bono's clearly strumming, and Edge is playing his Les Paul. But I think that for most songs where Bono has his green Gretsch, he's not really playing (take a look at "I Will Follow" on the Boston DVD as well).

Still, Bono's mime guitar isn't nearly as funny as his attempt to play the piano on "Sweetest Thing" (cf, the June 8th 2001 show in Boston).

Dallas Schoo, edge's guitar tech plays a some stuff at the side of the stage afaik, not sure if he is visible though. pretty sure he talked about it in an interview a few years back...

i think that you can't trust those concert DVDs that much, as a lot of the sound is tampered with after the concert for a better product.

as for Bono playing IWF, I'm pretty sure that he's playing the guitar (if you can call that playing). I do that sometimes with my band, I just hit the guitar on a particular chord and basically make a short dry sound to give some beat.

Back
Top Bottom