Observation about repeat stage appearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faithingrace

War Child
I know a lot has been discussed about the Elevation Boston "inside the heart" contraversy and that the lottery system on this tour was probably divised to ensure that "new faces" end up inside the ellipse, so here is my question: why does Bono pull up so many people who have already been on stage? Especially those who made it on stage more than once on this tour. I'm must admit that part of me is a little jealous that some people have made it up there more than once, however, the other part is happy that it is Interferencers making it on stage. Just the thought that rambled through my head earlier today. Please don't bite my head off. Just share the wealth!!!

It's probably more a matter of odds rather than preference. The girls he's pulled up multiple times go to so many concerts, they obviously have an enormously greater chance of being along the railing, especially in the ellipse, so have a better chance of being pulled up regardless of whether Bono even recognizes them.

I think it's more than a coincidence that Bono frequently brings the same people up on stage. My theory is that he just feels more comfortable with fans that he has had contact with before. Bringing someone on stage can be a potentially dangerous situation for the band, so maybe Bono prefers a familiar face when he sees one; someone who he knows will play along and have fun, but won't get too carried away and won't be a threat to him or the rest of the band.

Bringing people up on stage is completely at Bono's discretion, so if he wants to bring the same people up multiple times, then that's up to him. And congrats to those people. They're obviously doing something right for Bono to make them frequent stage visitors.

Zootomic said:
I think it's more than a coincidence that Bono frequently brings the same people up on stage. My theory is that he just feels more comfortable with fans that he has had contact with before. Bringing someone on stage can be a potentially dangerous situation for the band, so maybe Bono prefers a familiar face when he sees one; someone who he knows will play along and have fun, but won't get too carried away and won't be a threat to him or the rest of the band.

Bringing people up on stage is completely at Bono's discretion, so if he wants to bring the same people up multiple times, then that's up to him. And congrats to those people. They're obviously doing something right for Bono to make them frequent stage visitors.

Yeah, what he said. Visitors on stage has nothing to do with the ellipse lottery. BTW, Bono picks people from within the ellipse and outside as well.

While it could very well be that Bono chooses people he feels comfortable with, this IS a guy who sees and meets an incredible amount of people everyday, who's to say that after dancing with a girl for about 4 minutes on stage he'll remember her face from then on? Especially if the next time he comes in contact with her she's dressed differently, etc. While I'm sure there are a few dancing girls who stick out in his mind, I think that there is a pretty good chance he doesn't realize he is choosing the same girl, at least in most cases.

faithingrace said:
I know a lot has been discussed about the Elevation Boston "inside the heart" contraversy and that the lottery system on this tour was probably divised to ensure that "new faces" end up inside the ellipse, so here is my question: why does Bono pull up so many people who have already been on stage? Especially those who made it on stage more than once on this tour. Just share the wealth!!!

I think the two issues you brought up are mutually exclusive of each other. Having the lottery system or not having the lottery system is exclusive from Bono's choice to pick the same girl numerous times. For example, one person in particular was pulled up, once, OUSTIDE the ellipse and the other time INSIDE the ellipse. Therefore I guess your real question is why Bono's picks the same people over and over. Maybe he has a bad memory? :shrug: However, I feel that if he has enjoyed a girl's performance and he wants to have fun with her again...well you can't blame him. :wink: He is a man! :lol::

he picks people that catch his eye. if he finds the person appealing once, good odds he'll still think that person is appealing the next time he sees them, whether he remembers them or not....i do think some of the girls he has picked more than once he must recognize and chooses because he knows they are not going to freak out up there. (and they appeal to him :)

I'd like to clarify what I meant earlier. I know Bono recognizes some girls and probably pulls them up b/c he's seen their reactions before and knows they're a "safe" choice. I didn't mean to imply that Bono doesn't recognize girls and never realizes he's pulling them up more than once. I guess what I meant is, I don't think Bono pulls up a girl in general b/c it's a girl he's had before. I think he makes a choice to pull someone up.....and then he makes a choice to pull someone up during a certain song....and then he looks around to see who's available and just might choose someone he recognizes. I don't think he sees girls he recognizes and then thinks "oh, her again, yeah I could pull someone up tonight..." or looks around and doesn't see anyone he recognizes and thinks "oh, none of the girls I know....I guess no one's coming up tonight." So this way, of course girls who attend 20-30 shows are automatically going to have a better chance at getting pulled up more than once, b/c once Bono's decided to pull someone up and you're on the rail at 30 concerts, the odds are in your favor whether he recognizes you or not.

Am I making any sense?

Also keep in mind that it's not just 20-30 shows in multiple cities, states and countries that Bono sees some of these faces...but also outside the venue, outside the hotel, at speaking engagements, outside the recording studio, outside his private residence, etc.

How many people have made repeat appearances? I only know of one, the girl who played Party Girl in Chicago, and then there's Tattoo Dan who's been on stage both this tour and past ones.

Wouldn't it be crazy if some huge guy rushed the stage and got tackled, only to have the guards called off by Bono and then proceed to carry Bono around the stage like his newlywed bride?

:sexywink:

Axver said:
How many people have made repeat appearances? I only know of one, the girl who played Party Girl in Chicago, and then there's Tattoo Dan who's been on stage both this tour and past ones.

the girl who got pulled up for Mysterious Ways for the Chicago DVD has made it up at least one more time on the tour, the second Phoenix show, I was at both of those shows. I think she got pulled up another time too. She was also pulled up a few times during the Elevation Tour. Another girl who posts here AlliDreamsOutloud has been up a couple times on this tour too.

Except for the people he pulls up specifically for a reason ... like party girl from Chicago... I don't think he really remembers the people he pulls on stage. How could he. They just happen to be repeatedly in the right place at the right time and have a look. And most of the time he pulls up the same type of looking people... No offense to those who have been on stage ..

UnforgettableLemon said:
Wouldn't it be crazy if some huge guy rushed the stage and got tackled, only to have the guards called off by Bono and then proceed to carry Bono around the stage like his newlywed bride?

It'd be like finding a diamond in the rough.

the same girl was brought up on stage for fast cars at msg on 10/7 and 10/11 and now seeing the preview for the DVD it looks like the same girl!

FUIrish said:
the same girl was brought up on stage for fast cars at msg on 10/7 and 10/11 and now seeing the preview for the DVD it looks like the same girl!

The girl brought up on the 7th is not the same girl that was brought up on the 11th (which I believe is also the girl on the DVD)

It "looks" like the same girl cuz they all have the same look. In DC there were 3 girls on the rail who had been on stage multiple times. They were all small, petite, dark hair girls. Some had used a gimmick to get on stage at least once- wearing a belly dancer costume....

ramblin rose said:

The girl brought up on the 7th is not the same girl that was brought up on the 11th (which I believe is also the girl on the DVD)

right. the girl on 10/7 is not the girl from 10/11. the girl from 10/11 is a friend of mine- she's been onstage a total of 4 times (once on Elevation, 3 times on this tour). and yes, she's on the chicago DVD.

i know another girl who has been brought onstage 3 times, once on elevation, twice on vertigo.

tattoo dan has been up i think 6 times, 3 times on elevation, 3 times on vertigo.

bono definitely recognizes some of the people he brings up numerous times- i think it's a combination of being comfortable with them, as well as having some sort of affinity for that person. he probably also thinks that this person adds to the 'show', by not freezing and remaining calm/enthusiastic.

but who knows what he's really thinking... ;)

ladywithspinninghead said:

(although that will have to wait til Montreal because Ottawa is MY turn! My town, my turn!)

i'm rooting for you, julie!! :up: :wink:

and i agree with Miroslava. the girls that have been pulled up this tour have looked very different from one another- blondes, brunettes, redheads, african-americans, asians, hispanics, pregnant women, goth girls... this list goes on and on! in fact, bono's 'type' seems to be beautiful women in general. :wink: :up:

Last edited:
There isn't a similar physical characteristic to the people Bono brings up, but most of them do share something similar in their character...which is the willingness to go to great lengths to make their dream of getting close to Bono a reality...be that on or off the stage.

For example it would be one thing if Miroslava only went to the two Detroit shows on this tour without any sign, and Bono pulled her up...from the 3rd row no less. It's something else to go to shows in multiple cities, states and countries up front/at the tip each time with a sign and then after x amount of times you eventually get brought up. I know a guy who got brought up to play piano on Stay on the last tour. It took several shows in multiple cities/states before Bono obliged (best individual fan performance ever imo).

Of course your odds are even better if your the type of fan who also "meets" Bono outside the venue, the hotel, at speaking engagements, photo exhibits, the recording studio, his house and pretty much everywhere else he goes. Not all fans who are brought on stage or brought up multiple times go to this extreme, but I know some do. Not necessarily in an effort to get brought up, but just to get close. Obviously Bono remembers these people and if he brings them up once and they do a good job on stage...then why wouldn't he do it again? I would think he might even feel a bit obligated understanding how much time and money some fans are willing spend on their U2/Bono obsession. Or maybe getting a restraining order is more difficult than keeping a fan happy by bringing them on stage every now and then?:wink:

atikicat said:

For example it would be one thing if Miroslava only went to the two Detroit shows on this tour without any sign, and Bono pulled her up...from the 3rd row no less.

As it indeed happened here in Detroit and a situation I was involved directly in since April and I happily gave that girl the final push to get on stage! :cute:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no formula for this and in my opinion, those that seem over eager to get on stage are hardly ever the ones that do. :shrug: Going into the show, or hell, even the tour with the mentality of I AM GOING TO GET ON STAGE is just not something I'd recommend... It's certainly was not something I expected...

Yes, signs help, but I bet that if you broke it down to raw numbers, you're probably looking at a 50/50 breakdown of "dancing girls" with and without. As I stated elsewhere, I think that what he's looking for is someone that is truly enjoying themselves and looks comfortable in their own skin.

:|

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:

a similar incident happened in buffalo on elevation....a man was crowd surfing and once he got to the rail the guards started hauling him off but Bono brought the dude on stage and then sent him back into the crowd.

atikicat said:
Or maybe getting a restraining order is more difficult than keeping a fan happy by bringing them on stage every now and then?:wink:

hmmm. if bono had serious concerns about a fan being too obesessed, and wanted to keep him/her 'happy' for fear of the repercussions of not doing so, i highly doubt that he would repeatedly bring that fan onstage. wouldn't that just feed into the very obesession that he's uncomfortable with? :shrug:

anyway, it's always interesting to hear about repeat performances, and those are very lucky fans indeed. but i *love* hearing about fans who get onstage for the first (and only) time, when it's completely unexpected- ie, no gimmick, no sign, no multiple shows, etc. those are always very special experiences, imho. :cute:

Edited to add: i do not mean to take away from those who use signs- your experiences are special as well, since i'm sure more often than not, bono does not end up pulling up the person with the sign. IN SUM, then, i am happy for ALL fans who get onstage! :heart:

Last edited:
I'm not implying there's a formula. Clearly some fans who only attend one show and don't seek any contact with the band outside of the 2hrs their on stage are picked for no reason other than what you mentioned. I'm just saying that in many cases, not all...persistance and familiarity do play a part. Your persistance and sign increased your odds, but weren't a guarantee. The fact that you did an awesome job on stage increases the odds that you may get brought up again, but doesn't guarantee anything.

Lemonfix said:
While it could very well be that Bono chooses people he feels comfortable with, this IS a guy who sees and meets an incredible amount of people everyday, who's to say that after dancing with a girl for about 4 minutes on stage he'll remember her face from then on? Especially if the next time he comes in contact with her she's dressed differently, etc. While I'm sure there are a few dancing girls who stick out in his mind, I think that there is a pretty good chance he doesn't realize he is choosing the same girl, at least in most cases.

I wonder if subconsciously there is something that attracts Bono to the same people repeatedly.

eherncane said:
They were all small, petite, dark hair girls. Some had used a gimmick to get on stage at least once- wearing a belly dancer costume....
Hahaha, I'm sure Jessica would be tickled pink to be referred to as "small" and "petite". :D

Back
Top Bottom