North American vs. European Setlists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on your argument that NA setlists were more varied as regards the "Boy" songs.
It's true that they played different songs from Boy in the states.
The reason they don't do it in Europe is the lack of response these songs received in the states. I remember reviews in the states talking about half the audience going either to the toilet or queue up for beers during An Cat Dubh. (And I'm pissed because I would love to hear the transition from An Cat dubh - Into the Heart).

All the North American shows were better than all the Euro shows, except in one case:

-- That first Chicago show where Bono was sick was not as good as the Croke 3 show...

Other than that, no comparison - North America had better shows because of:

1. Better setlists, more variety, not just a 'greatest hits' show like in Europe, North American fans are more open-minded and dedicated

2. Better performances, more energetic, Bono talked to the audience more, told good stories, didn't spit on anyone

3. Small little arenas, very intimate, the worst seat in the arena (behind the stage) was better than the front row at one of those caves in Europe, where you could only see 3 pairs of shoes shuffling around because the stage was 15 ft tall

4. Better visuals - lights and lasers work better in the dark - it sucks playing "Bullet The Blue Sky" while half the audience is busy slapping on suntan lotion at 8pm

5. Better fans - no smokers, no one going back and forth getting beers during "One", no one waving annoying red and white bedspreads in your face, everyone having a good time

6. Better ticket prices - $49 for General Admission

7. Better security for GA line - get your numbered wristband in the morning, go back to the hotel to rest up, come back to the arena by 5pm for the line up - no standing in the hot sun for 12 hours so you can stand on the 50 yard line and stare at four ants in the distance

8. Better sound - the arena sound was crap, but was far superior to that cave-echo from Europe, where you get to hear every song twice (and "Vertigo" x 4)

9. Better tapers - the North American tapers did a much better job than the Euro tapers so far - try listening to that Croke 3 audio recording, it's atrocious - now, try listening to the Glendale 2 recording - wow, awesome

10. Better dancers/performers - check out Iris shaking her ass with Bono at San Jose 2 during "Mysterious Ways", or that tall blonde girl playing guitar with Bono in Chicago, or that stripper who jumped on stage in Los Angeles - highly entertaining. The Euro performers have sucked thus far, except that little girl who tried to strangle Bono with her cowboy hat

11. Shorter rides home after the show:

18,000 fans = no traffic jams
120,000 fans = see you in 14 hours

Just mho.

Last edited:
:crazy:

Thanks for not being too opinionated. I'll take it you went to San Jose for sure, (possibly some others in the U.S.), but I didn't quite get which European shows you've been at this leg.

I didn't know that the tapers had any influence on U2s performance. That's news to me. Thank you for giving me insight. Next concert, if the athmosphere is lame, I'll blame the tapers instead. Come to think of it: Of course it'll be lame. It's a concert in Europe.

And North American fans are more open-minded and dedicated, you write. I seem to recollect that the american audience were really supportive during Popmart. No half empty stadiums. So of course you're right.

And the people who come onstage dance better in the States.
You're the rhytm nation I guess....
(somehow that makes me think of Janet Jackson. Oops, I know that's a delicate subject in the states. She revealed her NIPPLE!! Can you believe it?)

Last edited:
5. Better fans - no smokers, no one going back and forth getting beers during "One",
I was in the ellipse in Chicago and everyone around me was chain-smoking through whole show...against the law for sure, but everyone did it and nothing was done about it. As for the beer...the drinking got so bad that by Chicago 4 they had to put large garbage cans inside the ellipse to cut down on the mess. Not that it helped. The floor was still littered with beer glasses, one of which dumped all over my foot. The garbage cans did come in handy for all the people who got so drunk that they started puking during "One" though.:wink: Seriously they're were people puking in the ellipse, not to mention coming and going all the time to get beer and go to the bathroom.

pulle28 said:
My take on your argument that NA setlists were more varied as regards the "Boy" songs.
It's true that they played different songs from Boy in the states.
The reason they don't do it in Europe is the lack of response these songs received in the states. I remember reviews in the states talking about half the audience going either to the toilet or queue up for beers during An Cat Dubh. (And I'm pissed because I would love to hear the transition from An Cat dubh - Into the Heart).

I don't agree with that assessment: it seemed everyone had a great time rocking along to ACD/ITH at Boston III.

4U2Play said:

Just mho.

Just your "HUMBLE" opinion? :wink: LOL. Or is that just your "honest" opinion? Either way, I find your comments too extreme to ring true (i.e., the production, concert environment and crowd are all good in the States and all bad in Europe).

Saw the first 10 shows of leg 1, three Dublin shows and the two Paris shows. Overall the European experience was better. I was in the ellipse / front of the floor for 13 of the 15 shows. European fans are NUTS compared to the Americans. Nothing like the floor of a stadium going apeshit for two hours straight. The band is playing better now, which is obvious simply because they're warmed up. The setlist thing is entirely preference. I like them all. It is definitely a more intimate environment in arenas, but nothing beats the floor "bounce" of a stadium.

Los Angeles :

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart, Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment..., Yahweh, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Zoo Station, The Fly, Vertigo

Encore(s): Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One, All Because Of You, 40

That's 25 full songs vs. 20 full songs... Enough said :madspit: :wink: [/B][/QUOTE]

Excuse me.....where did you get this setlist from? This setlist doesn't even exist. Stuck hasn't even been played on Vertigo yet....

US: going back to arena (UF, arena tours...good)
EUROPE: going back to stadiums (87-97) STADIUMS!!! GREAT!!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

as long as i dont have to hear vertigo twice:yikes: [dammit!!]

If I had the money and the opportunity, I'd have seen both. This tour, didn't turn out that way.

But I do love the European crowds. And most of their cities are fabulous to spend a day in.

lemon_vr6 said:
Saw the first 10 shows of leg 1, three Dublin shows and the two Paris shows. Overall the European experience was better. I was in the ellipse / front of the floor for 13 of the 15 shows. European fans are NUTS compared to the Americans. Nothing like the floor of a stadium going apeshit for two hours straight. The band is playing better now, which is obvious simply because they're warmed up. The setlist thing is entirely preference. I like them all. It is definitely a more intimate environment in arenas, but nothing beats the floor "bounce" of a stadium.

Now this is a guy who knows what he's talking about! Case closed.

By the way: Why whas it so hard for U2 to sell out stadiums during Popmart in the States?
As I remember, the Popmart shows were truly great.

4U2Play said:
All the North American shows were better than all the Euro shows, except in one case:

-- That first Chicago show where Bono was sick was not as good as the Croke 3 show...

1. Better setlists, more variety, not just a 'greatest hits' show like in Europe, North American fans are more open-minded and dedicated

2. Better performances, more energetic, Bono talked to the audience more, told good stories, didn't spit on anyone

3. Small little arenas, very intimate, the worst seat in the arena (behind the stage) was better than the front row at one of those caves in Europe, where you could only see 3 pairs of shoes shuffling around because the stage was 15 ft tall

4. Better visuals - lights and lasers work better in the dark - it sucks playing "Bullet The Blue Sky" while half the audience is busy slapping on suntan lotion at 8pm

5. Better fans - no smokers, no one going back and forth getting beers during "One", no one waving annoying red and white bedspreads in your face, everyone having a good time

7. Better security for GA line - get your numbered wristband in the morning, go back to the hotel to rest up, come back to the arena by 5pm for the line up - no standing in the hot sun for 12 hours so you can stand on the 50 yard line and stare at four ants in the distance

8. Better sound - the arena sound was crap, but was far superior to that cave-echo from Europe, where you get to hear every song twice (and "Vertigo" x 4)

9. Better tapers - the North American tapers did a much better job than the Euro tapers so far - try listening to that Croke 3 audio recording, it's atrocious - now, try listening to the Glendale 2 recording - wow, awesome

10. Better dancers/performers - check out Iris shaking her ass with Bono at San Jose 2 during "Mysterious Ways", or that tall blonde girl playing guitar with Bono in Chicago, or that stripper who jumped on stage in Los Angeles - highly entertaining. The Euro performers have sucked thus far, except that little girl who tried to strangle Bono with her cowboy hat

Just mho.
would love to know which european shows you have been to this year?

U2's stadium show is fricking amazing to say the least

pulle28 said:

By the way: Why whas it so hard for U2 to sell out stadiums during Popmart in the States?
As I remember, the Popmart shows were truly great.

the shows at the start of the tour were doggie-doo...I'm sure that didn't help.

if anyone wants to see a great crowd...throw in the "Rush in Rio" DVD. Holy cow those people went nuts! Even if you don't like Rush, you have to be impressed by the Brazillians at the show.

Rush?

I saw a concert with Iron Maiden the other day. They have a great crowd as well.
Even though 99% of the audience is longhaired males.

The North American setlists were far superior, not even close.

As for all you euros who prefer to see concerts in 60,000 seat, hot and sunny football stadiums rather than 18,000 seat darkened basketball arenas... that seems a bit odd.

Maybe it's because you people love watching those gigantic video screens instead of the tiny figures on the distant stage, or maybe you like waiting 30 minutes in line to purchase your required liquor, or maybe you all have very powerful binoculars...

... stop, you're making me jealous.

Last edited:
Far superior setlists...
Following songs have been played more often in Europe:
Who's gonna ride, All I want is you, Miss Sarajevo, Still haven't found, with or without you, I will follow.

No one can deny that in the States the following songs have been played more often:
Gloria, An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, 40, Bad.

Is that really all that makes the first leg superior? You have a bad case. Drop it.

"The Ocean"....Stop, You're making me jealous.

Who wouldn't want to hear that songs instead of, for instance, All I want is you?

Last edited:
4U2Play said:

Just mho.
Your humble opinion? Please... You just make me sick! :shame:

Just for your information! U2 wanted to do stadium all over the world this tour! The only reason why they're doing arena's in the states is because that's the only way to have some fun from the audience... They hate the fact that in the US stadium's GA isn't legal... They hate the fact that lawyers and CEO's have the front seats in the stadium's... They hate the smell of popcorn when they're walking down a stadium catwalk...

So believe what you want... Tháts the reason... Call it luck that you're having arena shows; U2 want's stadiums really... Now stop the bullshit!

Last edited:
Dulce de Leche said:
I can't believe people are arguing about this. :|
I can unserstand that people want to discuss about the difference between arena and stadium gigs... But this is becoming a US vs EU thing... With 4U2Play up front! The crap that he has put down in this discussion is just unbelievable! I hope he was kidding a bit, but if not; comparing the traffic and dancers at US and EU gigs... It's just sad!

And for neutral : I don't know what the overal rules are in the US, maybe it differs by state.. But if you remember every U2 gig (but also Stones, Pink FLoyd and other stadium acts); the complete stadium was packed with chairs... Resulting in high ticket pricing for the closest seats, meaning the wealthy are up front... Thát whole reason is why the band loved Elevation Tour so much... The cheapest tickers are the best tickets now... Though that's not possible in US stadiums, else U2 would really have done stadiums in the US too this tour!

And about that popcorn this.. That is a quote from Bono himself... He was sick and tired of the smell of the popcorn up front (refering to the rich people in the front seats who we going a night out)...

What is interesting at this point in the discussion is why U2 chose not to do stadiums in the US.
Neilz: There must be other reasons than just Bono trying to avoid the smell of popcorn up front.
I think other reasons must be of importance.
But... I actually don't get why they don't do stadiums in the US. Anyone have comments from bandmembers?
Maybe they found out during Popmart, that it is a bad idea to do stadiums in the US.
And: I can understand why first leg was an arena leg. They need to get an idea of the demand.
What I don't get is the third leg being indoor as well. I mean, it has nothing to do with the season. U2 has played outdoor in the states in the fall before.

Last edited:
If you watched the Dutch show with the tall blonde guy he asked Adam that question.

According to Adam they don't like the fact that in the U.S. seats are required on the field and that kills the festival atmosphere.

I can't say if that's the real reason or just an excuse.

pulle28 said:

"The Ocean"....Stop, You're making me jealous.

Who wouldn't want to hear that songs instead of, for instance, All I want is you?
I would take The Ocean over AIWIY any day.

guitar on original of the species clearly makes europe the winner. but the 3rd leg of the elevation tour was the shiznitz

But... I actually don't get why they don't do stadiums in the US...
Maybe they found out during Popmart, that it is a bad idea to do stadiums in the US

Uhhh yeah, it IS a bad idea to do stadiums in the US and Canada... stadium concerts suck compared to arena concerts.

This is not a North America-Europe thing. If they played stadiums here and arenas in Europe, I would criticize the North America leg just as well.

As for the PopMart Tour, U2 put out their worst record in 1997, then did very little promotion for it here in North America (unlike the two recent tours), then went on a stadium tour with chairs on the pitch (their choice), then charged $50 a ticket, which was a far higher price than any other concert tickets at that time, then made fools of themselves by erecting an absurdly gigantic stage that completely dwarfed the performers (Rage Against the Machine looked like lost little boys out there)... hence, few sellouts.

I think the euros loved the PopMart Tour because of the McDonald's arch, that's what I heard.

Nowadays, why pay 80 euros to sit 100 yards away from the band, forcing you to watch them on huge TV screens that are obscured by blazing sunshine, when you can pay $49 and only be 40 yards away, at the very most?

It's amazing to me that these euros actually prefer stadium shows over arena shows, whether Edge uses a guitar on OOTS or not. Maybe it's because they can all smoke their lovely cigarettes all day long at outdoor shows.

The real question is why doesn't U2 do arena shows in Europe? Too few quality venues, I've heard. However, maybe the real reason is because of the no-smoking rule.

Regarding setlists, it is obvious that the euro fans can only handle the "greatest hits" package. Any deep cuts like "The Ocean" or "An Cat Dubh" are far too esoteric for their tastes, they need "With Or Without You" and "Still Haven't Found" to be happy. Familiarity breeds contentment over there, I guess.

Besides, everyone knows that U2 is just using the European tour as a warm-up for the 3rd and 4th Legs in North America, Oz, NZ, and South America. Wait until you hear those bootlegs, they'll blow away the predictable euro sets being done right now ("Crumbs" anyone?).

As far as these euro posters who claim that North America doesn't have GA in stadiums, please explain to me why my Green Day ticket for the local baseball stadium in September is GA...

Also, please explain why Live8 in Philadelphia and Toronto were not sit-down concerts...

Last edited:
All I want is you and I still haven't found..., With or without you,
full band Original of the species, Who's gonna ride your wild horses, I will follow. (Miss Sarajevo)

Bad and Until the end of the world weren't regulars anyway.
Skipping slow Boy songs and 40.
:shame: for dropping Running to stand still

Yes, Europe is totally worse off setlistwise. What were they thinking?

The reason U2 is playing arenas - and has since Popmart - in US is they probably don't feel confident in selling out apart from big markets like New York, Chicago, LA, Boston... that said I'd prefer seeing U2 in a place where I wouldn't need binoculars to see them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom