North American 3rd Leg, Fall 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhowells

The Fly
I've got to get something straightened out and quick! Does anyone have any idea when we may hear more info regarding the North American 3rd leg in the Fall? Will the dates for the 3rd leg likely just be additional shows in pre-announced cities, or more shows in new cities??? You have to think new cities will be announced, I'm in Calgary and the only Canadian city to get a show so far is Vancouver. Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should participate in the Vancouver pre-sale tomorrow morning or wait until the fall when a Calgary show is likely (hopefully) to be announced.

i'm sure they'll be more canadian dates. toronto and montreal are sure and i would be very surprised if they didn't went to edmonton or calgary

The Fall leg is supposed to be 30 cities. Edmonton AND Calgary both have an excellent chance of being on the swing. If everyone demands to use up their codes now, it could be smooth sailing for presales on the 3rd leg.

I'm not holding my breath, gunslinger. I'm waiting for the 3rd leg, but I'm sure the tix will go fast. Real fast.

When was the 3rd leg of Elevation announced relative to the actual tour dates?

The third leg of the Elevation tour was announced in mid September 2001, a week or so after 9/11, leaving less than a month before the first show in South Bend, IN.

I wouldn't expect the third leg to be announced any earlier than July. It was already stated in one of the interviews or press releases that dates would not be announced til summer. As far as citied being visited, a good start would be to go back to the list of the original tour dates that was leaked back on 12/21 and add in the cities that had been scheduled for the first leg, but are bieng skipped. That should give you a pretty good idea of where they will play.

Toronto and Montreal were both on that list, so expect them for sure, but I think Calgary and Edmonton are unlikely to be played.

Not to split hairs, but the dates were announced on u2.com on 9/10/01. A week later, the first round of onsale dates were postponed slightly, but no show dates changed.

If the fall leg ends up in thirty cities, we could probably speculate fairly accurately which cities.

First round of speculation:

New York City
East Rutherford
Hartford
Boston
Detroit
Phoenix
SLC
Oakland
Portland
Calgary
Montreal
Toronto
Chicago
Minneapolis
Kansas City(?)
St. Louis(?)
Austin
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Atlanta
Charlotte
Hampton
Philly
Los Angeles
Indianapolis
Cleveland
Ames
Louisville
Albany

Last edited:
jedi Larry said:
If the fall leg ends up in thirty cities, we could probably speculate fairly accurately which cities.

New York City
East Rutherford
Hartford
Boston
Detroit
Phoenix
SLC
Oakland
Portland
Calgary
Montreal
Toronto
Chicago
Minneapolis
Kansas City(?)
St. Louis(?)
Austin
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Atlanta
Charlotte
Hampton
Philly
Los Angeles
Indianapolis
Cleveland
Ames
Louisville
Albany

Add Tampa in there before/after Miami

jedi Larry said:

New York City
East Rutherford
Hartford
Boston
Detroit
Phoenix
SLC
Oakland
Portland
Calgary
Montreal
Toronto
Chicago
Minneapolis
Kansas City(?)
St. Louis(?)
Austin
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Atlanta
Charlotte
Hampton
Philly
Los Angeles
Indianapolis
Cleveland
Ames
Louisville
Albany

Out of these dates I do not see Hampton VA, Louisville, KY Kansas City, MO and Ames, IA getting a show. You forgot Las Vegas, Washington, D.C. Cleveland ( the home of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame), Providence, and Anaheim getting another batch of dates.

Hey! Jedi Larry! You committed the mortal sacrilege of putting Albany at the bottom of your list....grrrrr:mad:
I'd like you to remember that the band have played here for every U.S. tour since we built an arena in 1990..except the stadium Popmart, of course.

We also hold the unique distinction (in the 90's anyway) of being the only city with a spontaneously added tour date due to popular demand...they weren't supposed to play Albany twice, but the local radio stations started a petition that was circulated at all the record stores in April 1992 (the Albany show had been the 5th show on the tour, 3rd week of March) asking Bono to "keep his promise and come back." It got 25,000 signatures in 2 weeks, and was dropped off at PM in NYC. The band added the Saratoga Harness Track to the summer's list, August 22, 40,000 people, muddy as Woodstock, and loads of fun. Me: 22nd row, on Edge's side of the stage. (Thanks Prop...cost, including fees: $34.50..read it and weep...)

as for tix going fast...they can't possibly go any faster than now, can they?:

( All I know is, I'm a former Prop member, got my letter and card before the site went up, successfully registered a week after the site went up (not nervous about that, being "far down on the list " and so on, b/c of allthe people who had problems and thus had to do it all over again..I got it right the first try), and have an unused code, never did the presale. Plus I'll know better what to do and have more money.

Last edited:
It would be shocking if U2 didn't play either Edmonton or Calgary on this tour. Why?

They played to almost 100,000 people in Edmonton for Popmart, believe it or not that is almost double the attendace for the only Los Angeles show on that tour. Considering Edmonton is about 1/10th the population of LA the attendace of those two shows promted Bono to say something like "How come we've never come here before?".

Both the Elevation shows in Calgary sold out, again a great showing from a secondary market city.

If they skip Alberta they are nuts!

the olive said:
It would be shocking if U2 didn't play either Edmonton or Calgary on this tour. Why?

They played to almost 100,000 people in Edmonton for Popmart, believe it or not that is almost double the attendace for the only Los Angeles show on that tour. Considering Edmonton is about 1/10th the population of LA the attendace of those two shows promted Bono to say something like "How come we've never come here before?".

Both the Elevation shows in Calgary sold out, again a great showing from a secondary market city.

If they skip Alberta they are nuts!

I agree. This is what I am holding out for. Otherwise I'm in trouble. I live in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan. Unless they hit Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg, this could be really expensive.

Super_Fan said:

Out of these dates I do not see Hampton VA, Louisville, KY Kansas City, MO and Ames, IA getting a show. You forgot Las Vegas, Washington, D.C. Cleveland ( the home of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame), Providence, and Anaheim getting another batch of dates.

wait wait wait, Ames IA?!?! since when does ISU deserve to see U2? and yes, i'm a Hawkeye. :wink:

Johnovox said:

Yes, great shows. But they may not do Providence if, as rumored, they return to Boston.
It'll all depend upon scheduling. The reason Providence got leg 3 Elevation shows was the FleetCenter was heavily booked with the circus, Bruins and Celtics at the time U2 was in the northeast, so they went to Providence instead.

Super_Fan said:

Ok so as much as I would like to see Hampton on the list (as I am only about 45 min from there and they have not been there since ZooTV) I am not holding my breath. However they will most definatly do multiple shows in DC. At least 2 hopefully more. I would love to see them do something like Philly this leg where one show is one weekend and the next show is the following weekend, but that is logistically dicy. Anyway just my $.02

HJ

OOOOhHHHHhhhhhhhh.......

hibricc said:
Not to split hairs, but the dates were announced on u2.com on 9/10/01. A week later, the first round of onsale dates were postponed slightly, but no show dates changed.

.......no wonder i missed the original notice of upcoming tix announcement!!!

I didn't have a computer then [i was gifted with one very reccently but can't afford Internet anyway]so I relied on various public & non-profit places to get on the net.

ScheduaL-wise i counldn't get on every day either, so i didn't hit ethe 3 main u2 sites each time i got on the net.

And being a NYC'er 9-11 knocked U2 out of my conciousness anyway, for some days and my nearby [brooklyn] library's server was in lower manhattan so no net.

it's so much clearer now!

Ames Iowa will not be getting a show. A city fairly close though probebly will be. Omaha, brand new arena, I think they will play this facility over KC and Ames. I dont think KC will get a show because it was one of the few on Elevation that did not sellout.

For sure shows are

Chicago (rumor is 2 more, possibly 3),
Boston 3 more, (they may only do 2 in Boston and 1 or 2 in Providence/Worcester and/or Hartford also)
New York/NJ (4 more, at least!, they are grossly underselling this market on the first leg),
Montreal (probebly 2 shows),
Toronto (2 possibly 3 and Toronto will open the third leg)
DC (probebly 2 shows)
Philly (1 or 2 more)
Atlanta (2 shows)
Tampa or Orlando (1 show)
Miami (2 shows, and it will close the 3rd leg)
Minneapolis (1 show)
Cleveland (1 show)
Detroit (1 show)
SF/SJ(bay area) (2 shows)
LA/Anaheim (2 maybe 3 shows)
Dallas (1 show)
Houston (1 show)
Austin (1 show)
*** One of the TX markets may get 2 shows, most likely Dallas**

On the bubble markets (will probebly get shows but are not a for sure thing)

-Calgary (if they play here they will do 2 shows, logistically doesnt look good though IMO)
-Omaha
-St. Louis
-Indianapolis
-Milwaukee
-Pittsburgh
-Sacramento
-Las Vegas

The rest, who knows other than U2, their staff and a hand full of promoters and venues. U2 typically plays a few markets though that are unusual for them on each tour. So I'm sure there will be a few surprises.

Blue Room said:
Ames Iowa will not be getting a show. A city fairly close though probebly will be. Omaha, brand new arena, I think they will play this facility over KC and Ames. I dont think KC will get a show because it was one of the few on Elevation that did not sellout.

In defense of KC, the Elevation show was not announced until a few weeks before the actual show and it was on a weeknight. It was a close sell out, though. Also, U2 has played on every tour in KC AND STL since 1983, so I think there is a good chance they'll do both. If they dont, they might play in Columbia MO... which is just up the road from me :)...

But, in all honesty, I can see the boys playing Omaha. Clapton skipped STL and KC last year (skipped KC for sure) and played Omaha.. Stranger things have happened. We'll just have to see.

ramblingrob said:

In defense of KC, the Elevation show was not announced until a few weeks before the actual show and it was on a weeknight. It was a close sell out, though. Also, U2 has played on every tour in KC AND STL since 1983, so I think there is a good chance they'll do both. If they dont, they might play in Columbia MO... which is just up the road from me :)...

But, in all honesty, I can see the boys playing Omaha. Clapton skipped STL and KC last year (skipped KC for sure) and played Omaha.. Stranger things have happened. We'll just have to see.

November 27, 2001
Kansas City, MO
Kemper Arena
CAPACITY: 17,500
ATTENDANCE: 13,456
GROSS: $1,106,456

I originally thought that the attendance was in the 14,500-15,000 range, according to the third edition of U2 Live: A Concert Documentary. But the above info is from Amusement Business' figures I obtained recently. When Arena & Stadium shows don't sell well, promoters usually give away 1,500 tickets to fill up the venue. It's also known as "papering".

Kansas City was the second lowest attended market on the North America portions of the Elevation tour. There was plently of time for fans to purchase tickets for the show. Kansas City doesn't have a hope in hell of U2 playing there ever again. But if they do, you won't have trouble getting tickets.

Last edited:
NoControl said:

November 27, 2001
Kansas City, MO
Kemper Arena
CAPACITY: 17,500
ATTENDANCE: 13,456
GROSS: $1,106,456

I . There was plently of time for fans to purchase tickets for the show. Kansas City doesn't have a hope in hell of U2 playing there ever again. But if they do, you won't have trouble getting tickets.

Continuing this saga, it was cold as hell, and Linkin Park played the same night, right next door, if memory serves correctly. I gave away a1 GA ticket cuz there was no demand outside the arena. The show was announced very late, and quite possibly, many KC area fans had already made the trek to Chicago or other regional shows and did not feel like coughing up the cash that Monday night.

In various threads, I've posted my hope for Omaha. The wild card is a guy named Warren Buffett -- not a spotlight guy, but worth billions. Bottom line for me, Kemper is old, Omaha's Quest Center is brand new -- and hopefully Mr. Buffet and Bono have already had this conversation (-:

Here's a link to a story connecting him to Bono -

http://www.iavaan.org/Archives/2002...US HEARTLAND ON BEHALF OF HIVAIDS VICTIMS.htm

I think by far the best guage to determine what cities will be played in the fall in North America is to go back to the original itinerary that was leaked in December. I would assume that the plan will be to play those cities that already were planned for then, plus they'll add in the cities originally scheduled for March that were lost due to the entire first leg being rerouted.

In looking at the original fall leg we can assume they'll probably play shows in the following:

Originally scheduled for third leg and not being played on first leg:

Toronto, ON
Minneapolis, MN
Milwaukee, WI
Cleveland, OH
Washington, DC
Pittsburgh, PA
Auburn Hills, MI
Houston, TX
Dallas, TX
Las Vegas, NV
Albany, NY (optional city on original itinerary)
Sacramento, CA (optional city on original itinerary)

Returns to cities played on first leg and also listed on original third leg:

Chicago, IL
Boston, MA
New York, NY
Philadelphia, PA
Anaheim, CA/Los Angeles, CA
San Jose, CA/Oakland, CA

Cities originally scheduled during March on first leg, but left off:

Miami, FL
Tampa, FL
Atlanta, GA
Hartford, CT
Buffalo, NY
Montreal, QC

That should roughly end up being your list of cities visited on the third leg. You can continue to speculate on cities like St Louis and Kansas City, but they appear to be doubtful. Those cities were only added to the Elevation tour as an after thought when the ending of the tour was extended from 11/19/01 to 12/2/01, so expect them only if U2 end up playing all 3 months of the fall leg in North America.

You have to consider that contracts would have been in place between U2 and tour promoters TNA with arenas throughout North America and I'm sure they fully plan to honor those before they even consider adding extra cities not originally planned. Arthur Fogel of TNA stated in the current issue fo Billboard that they plan to return to many of the markets they feel they have vastly underplayed on this first leg, so expect multiple shows in the 6 major markets listed above for return shows.

The third leg in North America was to have run from Sept 16 to Nov 10 before heading off to Japan. They now have about 2-3 weeks of shows that need to be added onto the fall leg in North America so I think Japan and Australia will not happen before December at the earliest, January more likely.

Perhaps if time permits U2 will add additional cities to the fall leg, but people in cities not listed in the original itinerary should probably keep in their minds that they may have to travel to see U2 this fall. I guess we'll all know for sure in about 5-6 months when they announce the fall tour leg.

Last edited:
So, some here feel like me, that the questionable cities like KC and STL may not get shows either?

And I left out Tampa on purpose.

Back
Top Bottom