North American 3rd Leg, Fall 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to see em in Des Moines opening the new arena. I think it holds more than Omaha. And they nearly sold out the football stadium in Ames on the Zoo tour. So there is a strong fanbase here. But I doubt it will happen. But the company that manages it does the bookings for 1/3 of the arenas in the US.

so do you guys think that they will hit Miami in the beginning of the third leg, in the middle, or at the end? I am so ready for this tour to start! Then i am going to be CRAZY excited for the third leg so I can see them!

swanny said:
And they nearly sold out the football stadium in Ames on the Zoo tour.

I was at that show, didn't look sold out to me. If it was, it was likely due to the traffice coming east on I-80 from Neeebraska:wink:

Either way, I'd drive to Dez Moynez in a hearbeat -- anything but another damn plane ticket.

Only part of the back section was not filled. Over 55k were there. How much more full could it be in the middle of nowhere?! What more could I expect from a Husker fan :)

U2 will play a show in Winnipeg. They built a brand new arena for concerts like u2. It would be a crime if U2 did not return to Winnipeg because the popmart show was so great. The manager of the mts centre also told me that he was activley pursuing a U2 date for the fall of 2005.

swanny said:
Only part of the back section was not filled. Over 55k were there. How much more full could it be in the middle of nowhere?! What more could I expect from a Husker fan :)

There were 48,822 people at the Cyclone Stadium show in Ames, IA on September 11, 1992, as apart of the ZOO TV (Outside Broadcast) tour.

thetitans2k said:
U2 will play a show in Winnipeg. They built a brand new arena for concerts like u2. It would be a crime if U2 did not return to Winnipeg because the popmart show was so great. The manager of the mts centre also told me that he was activley pursuing a U2 date for the fall of 2005.

That's a big if.

If they do, they'll only play one show at the MTS Center (15,000) considering how high ticket prices are these days.

I think that two shows in Winniped would be asking alot but I would be satisfyed with one show as long as I got a ticket. I dont think they should play montreal, Toronto and Ottawa. that would be stupid. We need more concerts in central Canada. Its too long a drive to Alberta. But perhaps I could drive down to Minneapolis if they play a show there. But still U2 come to Winnipeg.

NoControl said:

May 14, 1997
Memphis, TN
Liberty Bowl
ATTENDANCE: 22,734
GROSS: $1,131,570
AVERAGE PRICE: $49.78

U2 won't ever be playing Memphis again, unless their prices drop.

So where are you getting these figures? By the way, could you get the data for the Lexington, KY, May 4, 2001 show?

I would be more precise and say U2 won't ever play The Liberty Bowl again unless their prices drop.

They could still do Memphis in a smaller venue(like Mid-South) and come out just fine.
The problem was playing Memphis at a stadium with a 60,000+ capacity and only drawing a little over 20,000.
Booking a stadium that size is never cheap.

And their subsequent shows in Tampa and Jacksonville were downright disastrous. 15,000-20,000 in massive stadiums, putting on a very expensive production........ :sad:

Last edited:
If you are them (U2), what is the point of playing a place if you are not going to sell it out?? Bands usually tour for two reasons, one they want to meet their fans and play for them (usually U2 falls in this category), and two to make money (everyone does). No offense, but smaller markets will not draw the amount of interest that a bigger market will draw. I would love to see them do stadiums, but they will only do them if they sell them out... I saw Bruce at where the Mets (about 55 K seats) play last fall, it looked really really bad when not all the seats were filled. When it costs money to rent out a stadium, it hurts when there isn't a sell out. I am sure they will add places like Miami, DC, maybe Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Vegas, Toronto, Montreal, possibly an Edmonton or Calgary, Ottawa, and maybe Portland because they will draw people there. Or they could do a show at Notre Dame or another big college, but given ticket prices, that is a gamble. Expect some added shows for the bigger cities too like NYC/NJ, Boston, LA, and Chicago.

thetitans2k said:
I think that two shows in Winniped would be asking alot but I would be satisfyed with one show as long as I got a ticket. I dont think they should play montreal, Toronto and Ottawa. that would be stupid. We need more concerts in central Canada. Its too long a drive to Alberta. But perhaps I could drive down to Minneapolis if they play a show there. But still U2 come to Winnipeg.

So they should go to Winnipeg and skip the biggest Canadian cities? Yeah right... I'm all for them going to central Canada, but that doesn't mean they should skip the rest... And they won't anyways. They'll never skip Montreal, like in or not. They came two times during ZooTV and two times during Elevation (3 shows total), and Edge said in a Propaganda interview that Montreal was close to Slane when asked about the best crowd of the whole tour... They could sell-out 10 nights in a row here if they wanted to.

They could sell Winnipeg out 10 tens also its just a matter of them coming here. Im not saying they shouldnt go to montreal. but I am saying the need to show some love to Western and central Canada.

U2 come to Winnipeg!

Blue Room said:
Also the markets you mention that people from KC went to instead of the KC show are markets they are playing. So if people from KC will travel to those markets and those markets sellout, why add a show in KC?

That's a rediculous statement. That's like saying why have shows in Chicago or Denver. Lets have all the shows in KC...make them come here.

I was one of those fans that travelled to see U2 on the last tour. Not once but 4 times. All without knowing if they would come to KC. That show had everything going against it. Timing, Weather, Linkn Park. It was the coldest moment of my life standing in line for the heart. That is no BS. It was 2 days before Thanksgiving if I remember right. A lot of my friends were out of town.

Also, people were starting to get sick of U2. They were everywhere. I personally think they milked the tour dry and some of the non-die-hard fans had enough of them. Put them on the first leg with enough time to promote and it sells out every time.

Yes Kemper is a dump. Period. And sadly, they may skip us this tour and go to Omaha instead. That is fine, but they will be back in 2009 when we have our new area built. U2 has a history in Kansas City.

swanny said:
What more could I expect from a Husker fan :)

Please take a close look at my identity --- "Buffs" would represent a state university one state to the West; been here nearly 20 years, not a Husker fan.

The other KC poster referencing Elevation is absolutely right -- it was freezing that night, the tour was about over, and any fan from this general region had probably already traveled to some other show.

Bottom line for me... those of us in the Midwest should consider ourselves lucky if we get a Minneapolis, KC, Omaha, or St. Louis option. I'm betting on one of the four, but hoping for two.

shmeedt said:
So where are you getting these figures? By the way, could you get the data for the Lexington, KY, May 4, 2001 show?

I have the near complete data for U2's past two tours. Most of it can be found in this site's archives in the U2 Chart & Sales Stats thread.

But here's something that can't be found from the above.

May 4, 2001
Lexington, KY
Rupp Arena
CAPACITY: 24,000
ATTENDANCE: 16,642
GROSS: $1,143,878
AVERAGE PRICE: $68.74

jedi Larry said:
I would be more precise and say U2 won't ever play The Liberty Bowl again unless their prices drop.

They could still do Memphis in a smaller venue(like Mid-South) and come out just fine.
The problem was playing Memphis at a stadium with a 60,000+ capacity and only drawing a little over 20,000.

And their subsequent shows in Tampa and Jacksonville were downright disastrous. 15,000-20,000 in massive stadiums, putting on a very expensive production........ :sad:

No, they wouldn't be able to sell much more than 10,000 tickets in Memphis at an average price of $100 on this year's tour.

thetitans2k said:
They could sell Winnipeg out 10 tens also its just a matter of them coming here. Im not saying they shouldnt go to montreal. but I am saying the need to show some love to Western and central Canada.

U2 come to Winnipeg!

10 nights at which venue in Winnipeg and what is the average ticket price?

Buffaloes....Huskers.....they both blow. I saw your name but you referenced Nebraska. Didn't know if you were in school there or what.

No use speculating on 3rd leg til July. How accurate were the 1st leg ones?!?! Just chill and enjoy it when they come around.

Thanks for the accurate info nocontrol. Can you find the Oct. 87 Iowa City show?

And I i can't take NE out. All the heartless thumpings on lesser opponenets. I am enjoying watching em now. :)

swizzlestick said:

That's a rediculous statement. That's like saying why have shows in Chicago or Denver. Lets have all the shows in KC...make them come here.

I was one of those fans that travelled to see U2 on the last tour. Not once but 4 times. All without knowing if they would come to KC. That show had everything going against it. Timing, Weather, Linkn Park. It was the coldest moment of my life standing in line for the heart. That is no BS. It was 2 days before Thanksgiving if I remember right. A lot of my friends were out of town.

Also, people were starting to get sick of U2. They were everywhere. I personally think they milked the tour dry and some of the non-die-hard fans had enough of them. Put them on the first leg with enough time to promote and it sells out every time.

Yes Kemper is a dump. Period. And sadly, they may skip us this tour and go to Omaha instead. That is fine, but they will be back in 2009 when we have our new area built. U2 has a history in Kansas City.

I was in that line too... coldest day of that winter, or so it seemed after standing in line starting at 7am (and I was #88!). One of the most memorable days of my life, though.
Girl with my group danced with Bono that night. Guarantee she won't forget it anytime soon.

swanny said:
Thanks for the accurate info nocontrol. Can you find the Oct. 87 Iowa City show?

And I i can't take NE out. All the heartless thumpings on lesser opponenets. I am enjoying watching em now. :)

October 20, 1987
Iowa City, IA
Carver-Hawkeye Arena
CAPACITY: 15,846
SOLD OUT

swanny said:

Yeah, those thumpings against lesser Hawkeye teams.:giggle:

Last edited:
jedi Larry said:

Wouldn't they play at the new FedEx Forum? That'd be a perfect venue...

Bocagator and Monkey79...that's great to hear! I know the GA's will be hard to get, but (while I would love them) my first priority is just getting tix, so I'm glad to hear I at least stand a chance...I'll be on the phone, the net, and possibly with someone in line the moment this mofo starts, I better get tix!

Will either of you guys be in Atlanta?

NoControl said:

October 20, 1987
Iowa City, IA
Carver-Hawkeye Arena
CAPACITY: 15,846
SOLD OUT

Not to nitpick, but it was about a thousand short of a sellout.

U2 could sell out any arena in North America if they were still charging $16.50 for a ticket (which that show was)

VertigoGal said:
Bocagator and Monkey79...that's great to hear! I know the GA's will be hard to get, but (while I would love them) my first priority is just getting tix, so I'm glad to hear I at least stand a chance...I'll be on the phone, the net, and possibly with someone in line the moment this mofo starts, I better get tix!

Will either of you guys be in Atlanta?

Most definitely! :yes:

I hope the presale fiasco will get straightened out by then. I'd love to score some GAs. I had GA for the 1st Elevation leg and was right in front of the Edge. Nothing like it!

Back
Top Bottom