Normal to not remember much of the concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I saw U2 in Minneapolis of September of last year, and while I remember the setlist and some songs, I don't remember the song that didn't rotate COBL, Vertigo, etc...

I do remember The Ocean, Miss Sarajevo, Streets, The First Time, Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Crumbs From Your Table

But the other songs, I didn't remember -- maybe it was because I had heard and saw them already? I was taking a lot of pictures that night too, perhaps that's what made me forget a lot?

It's probably somewhat normal. Even though it was a highlight, it's still a 2 hour window of time from several months ago. Bootleg audio/video helps fill in the gaps for me.

Quite normal for me too.

There's always been one very distinctive memory from each that I've been to (not that many), be that a song, the weather, or one of Bono's 'Come To Jesus' speeches.

My first U2 concert was in Madison, WI in 1992, and I barely remember anything about it. (Luckily, most of the Zoo shows were very similar, so I can pretty much guess what the show was like. :wink: )

Even at my first Vertigo show last year, I felt this weird disconnect, like I was watching it on TV or something, even though I was two heads back from the outer rail of the Ellipse. Thankfully, during SYCMIOYO, the switch was flicked, and I was RIGHT THERE in the moment.

Good times.

I was in LaLa land and as soon as I saw them walk by me to enter underneath the stage I was in hysteria, I think thats what takes over and prevents you from thinking, but you can sing everysong word for word and two days later you cant even say what the set list was.....it make you think you went:crazy:

Most times when I had a huge level of adrenaline rush or exitement (good or bad), I don't remember much. I don't remember my first gymnastics meet, my first day of high school or college classes, my first time hearing Bono speak, I don't remember much of my first U2 concert either. All the other ones I can remember the most insignificant details, but I don't remember much from the first one of the tour besides LAPOE was the opening song.

corianderstem said:
My first U2 concert was in Madison, WI in 1992, and I barely remember anything about it. (Luckily, most of the Zoo shows were very similar, so I can pretty much guess what the show was like. :wink: )
Coriander - :cool: - that was my first U2 show as well! :yes: I'd flown from KY where I was living to Green Bay where my best friend lived at the time & then we drove down to Madison.

I specifically remember when the first few notes of EBTTRT started, looking over to my left, across the top of the stadium & the full moon just hanging there like I could reach over & touch it. :drool:

(Most everything else from that night is a complete blur, however. :giggle: )

Good post !
I am happy to read that I'm not alone in this situation, which is frustrating. I only keep specific sequences very clear in my head, mostly images (Adam smiling, Edge "riding" over the crowd, lights on Bono on Miracle Drug and Larry banging LAPOE), but I can barely remember how was Streets, Vertigo, or other moments that I should have print in my head for ever ... :banghead: For audio memories, my perception of the concert is little by little replaced by that of the boot, which is annoying, but helps remember other stuff anyway ...

BluRmGrl said:

Coriander - :cool: - that was my first U2 show as well! :yes: I'd flown from KY where I was living to Green Bay where my best friend lived at the time & then we drove down to Madison.

I specifically remember when the first few notes of EBTTRT started, looking over to my left, across the top of the stadium & the full moon just hanging there like I could reach over & touch it. :drool:

Yes, I remember that, too! The only other things I really remember were Bono saying "shut the fuck up" during "Unchained Melody" because his mike was giving him trouble, and the fact that we couldn't see the stage thanks to the tee shirt booth set up directly in front of us on the field. We were PISSED. Our seats should have been amazing (first row of the stadium seats, directly in front of the stage), and we had to watch the show on the screens.

I have almost no memories of my first show, Popmart in Philadelphia. Our seats weren't great, but I was 18 and so excited that I nearly passed out when Mofo started :reject: My friend actually made me sit down. After that, I vaguely remember I Will Follow, With Or Without You, and One. Besides that? Nothing (except the people around me laughing at me for spazzing out). I've got a recording of the show, though, and it's great! Too bad I don't remember much :wink:

OMG I know this feeling! It is so amazing and wonderful and sad and a plethora of emotions and feelings all in one evening of entertainment that will change your life and you will never ever forget. No one but a true U2 fan who has experienced this would understand. I just triy to take in so much, not wanting to miss anything and in the process I guess I blank things out and the next morning it feels like I wasn't really there. I love when I see footage of the show then, and get the bootleg because then it all comes back to me....magically! :wink:

I remember I did a lot of cheering, and singing my voice was horse...

I do remember that they were going to play 40, I saw Adam and Edge switch instruments, but Bono yells Encora, and they do Vertigo again.

Wild Horses was great, I really loved that. Miss Sarajevo, Bono talked about the first few legs of the ZOO TV tour, then proceeded to sing, but when the operatic moment came, it was amazing.

Elevation, at the beginning he pulled a girl up on stage, who had lost like 80 pounds to dance with him.

The Ocean, Bono walked around the elipse, saying something like "That Minneapolis jazz... Adam Clayton, turn up that bass..." and Bono sang, the song was about 2 minutes long.

Miracle Drug he gave his speech about the Mayo clinic, and Edge being from the future.

With Or Without You, he pulled a girl up, but Bono had trouble doing the falsetto.

I don't remember Yahweh.

I remember Vertigo X2, kinda disappointing.

I definitely know the feeling. But like someone said above, bootlegs help fill in the gaps. I have the boots from all three shows I've been to.

Thankfully the Chicago setlist isn't too different from Minneapolis's, other than the encore... so the DVD helps

Back
Top Bottom