No Willie Williams = Same set list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt76

Acrobat
but, it's ok and understandable. Reckon the next leg will get a good shake up on the set list..

Bad hasn't been regular, so I don't know that they are sacrificing that for Miss S. So Matt, are you suggesting since Willie is on break they can't change the screen graphics and hence can't change the setlist?

ruffian said:
Bad hasn't been regular, so I don't know that they are sacrificing that for Miss S. So Matt, are you suggesting since Willie is on break they can't change the screen graphics and hence can't change the setlist?

Yeah that's what I'm suggesting, since Milan and Willie left there has been only 2 changes that I can think of (no doubt someone will say i am wrong), with Party Girl swapping out with Yaweh. I'm NOT complaining about there being no set list change, just I think they are likely to be less likely to take a chance on switching things round...

Some 3rd leg suggestions, and I'm being realistic. Vertigo should open, Bad should close - worked well at the last Chicago show. Keep Miss Sarajevo. And add a mini acoustic set in the middle, before the Love and Peace cycle. How about an acoustic Stuck in a Moment to go along with Yahweh?

As if Willie has any vote in the setlist :-D

The fact that it's a stadium leg with a very broad audience is the reason...

Neilz said:
As if Willie has any vote in the setlist :-D

The fact that it's a stadium leg with a very broad audience is the reason...

No, he does not vote. But he would be the one in charge of coordinating the sequencing of the lights and audio in they decide to change the order of the songs.

Matt, your point makes a lot of sense. So Lisbon will get pratically the same setlist...

Great observation...I am quite sure it is playing a role. How many think he is actually taking a break, or working on the Stones? :wink:

matt76 said:

Yeah that's what I'm suggesting, since Milan and Willie left there has been only 2 changes that I can think of (no doubt someone will say i am wrong), with Party Girl swapping out with Yaweh. I'm NOT complaining about there being no set list change, just I think they are likely to be less likely to take a chance on switching things round...

yeah, good point since he does the main design...and i think one of the reasons they don't change the setlist more is that it would require changing the visuals and re-sequencing them.

U2@NYC i did not read your post and yet we said the same thing. :madspit: I thought it before you wrote it, i swear.

Willie has nothing to do with the setlists. Its all the bands decision and he has to work with what they give him. He is their employee. Regarding him being gone being the reason the setlist is static just isnt true. Its static because of what Neilz indicated in his post and the shows since Milan have been single night shows only.

Willie was not on the entire third leg of the Elevation tour and those setlists were not all the same. U2 have great people working for them in all aspects of their production. Just because Willie is not there does not mean the lighting could not be adjusted or changed.

Blue Room said:
Willie has nothing to do with the setlists. Its all the bands decision and he has to work with what they give him. He is their employee. Regarding him being gone being the reason the setlist is static just isnt true. Its static because of what Neilz indicated in his post and the shows since Milan have been single night shows only.

Willie was not on the entire third leg of the Elevation tour and those setlists were not all the same. U2 have great people working for them in all aspects of their production. Just because Willie is not there does not mean the lighting could not be adjusted or changed.
the simple thing is when this tour gets back to the U.S. it will prove a point, mulitple show will=different sets, we havent had many multiple shows here in europe so why would they do multiple sets if the shows they are doing are in a different part of tne country?

...and croke 3 was different than the other nights.

blueroom, i don't know how much the setlists changed without willie before, but i would imagine, since he does so much design,that he would be instrumental in aiding with design. this is not to imply that willie decides the setlists! i do understand he is their employee.

ruffian said:
...and croke 3 was different than the other nights.

blueroom, i don't know how much the setlists changed without willie before, but i would imagine, since he does so much design,that he would be instrumental in aiding with design. this is not to imply that willie decides the setlists! i do understand he is their employee.

No, but Willie's assistants that do alot of his work for him are the ones that run it when he is not there. They are just as capable as he is. Willie may be more talented at the new design aspects. But if we are talking just the setlists, which it appears we are, and how they are currently static, I'm saying Willie not being there doesnt have anything to do with it. Thats all. :shrug:

If I remember correctly, Willie is quoted in his U2.com diary as being critical of the band for not changing up their setlist more. I think that proves his involvement is only in the production, i.e., after the band decides what songs to play. Also, not all songs have a video component (which was a source of a bitch post last week).

Fact is, as already stated, there are very few multiple night stands on the 2nd Leg. Those with multiple night stands got variety (except Milan, which is because it was a DVD shoot).

Blue Room said:

I love the strident earnest claims by both sides of this topic when not one soul on here has a clue what really happens.

Especially when it is spoken like it is first hand knowledge.

I would wager U2 depends on Willie a hell of a lot more than we think. A U2 performance may be the farthest thing in the world from 4 guys rocking out on stage. When I interviewed with Terry Lawless at the San Diego opener for an assistant position, I was stunned at how much manpower is required to operate a show, above and beyond the physical stuff. It is staggering.

But what the hell do I know? :wink:

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

I love the strident earnest claims by both sides of this topic when not one soul on here has a clue what really happens.

Especially when it is spoken like it is first hand knowledge.

I would wager U2 depends on Willie a hell of a lot more than we think. A U2 performance may be the farthest thing in the world from 4 guys rocking out on stage. When I interviewed with Terry Lawless at the San Diego opener for an assistant position, I was stunned at how much manpower is required to operate a show, above and beyond the physical stuff. It is staggering.

But what the hell do I know? :wink:

:laugh: Do you honestly think Willie is the only lighting technician that knows how to run the lighting for U2's stage?? How do other artists make it with a light show without Willie!!! :laugh:

They depend on the lighting staff and the ENTIRE production crew, not Willie as an individual as the end all be all with that. If U2 said they wanted to change up the order of the setlist do you seriously think Willie is the only person that could program the lighting for the new sequence of songs? Come on, that doesnt even make sense.

Willie basically indicated in his Elevation diary when he was leaving the tour that he was leaving U2 in very capable hands with the people around him and if Willie was the ONLY person that could make any changes every single setlist on the third leg of Elevation would have been the same under the theory of this thread. That wasnt even close to the case. In fact U2 added new songs that had not been done on the tour prior to that.

I will say that if they were going to do a new song they had not played before and wanted some type of video to go with it, they would probebly want Willie there for that or his input. But simple setlist changes of songs that have been played on this tour, there is NO WAY he needs to be there for them to pull that off.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:laugh: Do you honestly think Willie is the only lighting technician that knows how to run the lighting for U2's stage?? How do other artists make it with a light show without Willie!!! :laugh:

They depend on the lighting staff and the ENTIRE production crew, not Willie as an individual as the end all be all with that. If U2 said they wanted to change up the order of the setlist do you seriously think Willie is the only person that could program the lighting for the new sequence of songs? Come on, that doesnt even make sense.

Willie basically indicated in his Elevation diary when he was leaving the tour that he was leaving U2 in very capable hands with the people around him and if Willie was the ONLY person that could make any changes every single setlist on the third leg of Elevation would have been the same under the theory of this thread. That wasnt even close to the case. In fact U2 added new songs that had not been done on the tour prior to that.

I will say that if they were going to do a new song they had not played before and wanted some type of video to go with it, they would probebly want Willie there for that or his input. But simple setlist changes of songs that have been played on this tour, there is NO WAY he needs to be there for them to pull that off.

No.

I don't think Willie is the only person and never implied he might be. Nobody thinks that.

My comment was more in response to your blatant stated fact that "Willie has nothing to do with the setlists". Stated as if you are a personal friend or member of his staff. You, and all of us, really have no idea his level of involvement and the point of the thread was one of observation that there seemed to be a coincidence that as soon as he left the tour, the setlist became virtually static. Of course there may be other reasons, but it was a good observation none the less. My feeling is that he perhaps has something to do with the setlists, on whatever scale.

I just would like to see some information to back up your claim that you are asserting so passionately...that Willie Williams has absolutely nothing to do with the setlists.

I will say, however, Blue Room...us mountain people...we are sexy.:wink:

Albuquerque, NM - Elevation 5314
Denver, CO - Elevation 5280

Last edited:
MumblingBono said:
I hope so. I have no interest in hearing Miss Sarejevo where Bad should be.

Nobody realises how great an effect Miss Sarajevo has just after Bullet The Blue Sky.

Bad has no place there.

Can't you see?

A trio of war songs -> a prayer for peace.
Bad is a love song damnit.
Other than that I think Miss Sarajevo is 10 times better than Bad.

Bad could (and should) be replacing With Or Without You, and Mysterious Ways should be put back instead of All Because of You...

The encores should be:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

Yahweh
Bad
Vertigo

Everybody'd be happy then, even Bono who gets his Vertigo x 2.

cmb737 said:

No.

I don't think Willie is the only person and never implied he might be. Nobody thinks that.

My comment was more in response to your blatant stated fact that "Willie has nothing to do with the setlists". Stated as if you are a personal friend or member of his staff. You, and all of us, really have no idea his level of involvement and the point of the thread was one of observation that there seemed to be a coincidence that as soon as he left the tour, the setlist became virtually static. Of course there may be other reasons, but it was a good observation none the less. My feeling is that he perhaps has something to do with the setlists, on whatever scale.

I just would like to see some information to back up your claim that you are asserting so passionately...that Willie Williams has absolutely nothing to do with the setlists.

I will say, however, Blue Room...us mountain people...we are sexy.:wink:

Albuquerque, NM - Elevation 5314
Denver, CO - Elevation 5280

OK, maybe me saying he has nothing to do with the setlists was a stretch. I was more referring to this thread though in that people are saying the current static nature of the setlists is because Willie is not there and I'm stating, because its only logical, it has nothing to do with Willie not being there. The band takes suggestions, especially in the rehearsal, from alot of people on their crew. Willie is one of those people. So he does have some input (which I also indicated he would be a factor if they were playing something new). But the decision as to what gets played is the bands only. Those were my two points.

If you dont want to believe me thats fine. :wave:

Blue Room said:

OK, maybe me saying he has nothing to do with the setlists was a stretch. I was more referring to this thread though in that people are saying the current static nature of the setlists is because Willie is not there and I'm stating, because its only logical, it has nothing to do with Willie not being there. The band takes suggestions, especially in the rehearsal, from alot of people on their crew. Willie is one of those people. So he does have some input (which I also indicated he would be a factor if they were playing something new). But the decision as to what gets played is the bands only. Those were my two points.

If you dont want to believe me thats fine. :wave:

Not that I don't believe you, you may be 100% completely accurate. The point was that the thread was started about an observation that was made, and is interesting to consider based on the fact that none of us really know anything.

Everything is based on opinion and observation, and nothing is based on fact.

cmb737 said:

Not that I don't believe you, you may be 100% completely accurate. The point was that the thread was started about an observation that was made, and is interesting to consider based on the fact that none of us really know anything.

Everything is based on opinion and observation, and nothing is based on fact.

Well, I'm basing my information on things the band, Willie and other members of their crew have said in the past. I'm not sure what concrete fact you are looking for. But combine that with what is logical and there are few other reasonable conclusions.

Blue Room said:

Well, I'm basing my information on things the band, Willie and other members of their crew have said in the past. I'm not sure what concrete fact you are looking for. But combine that with what is logical and there are few other reasonable conclusions.

Reading all the same things you have, I would suggest that the band is less willing to shake it up without Willie being there. Same "facts" different conclusion.

cmb737 said:

Reading all the same things you have, I would suggest that the band is less willing to shake it up without Willie being there. Same "facts" different conclusion.

OK, I will play, what part of what they said causes you to think that specifically?

Blue Room said:

You sre contradicting yourself here, on the one hand you are suggesting they need Willie to do a new song and on the other hand saying they don't. Fact is they need him to do a new song, because they need the visuals for that particular song. I still stand by my original point that it is too much of a coincidence that there has not been a set list change (save for 2 songs) when Willie has not been there..

matt76 said:

You sre contradicting yourself here, on the one hand you are suggesting they need Willie to do a new song and on the other hand saying they don't. Fact is they need him to do a new song, because they need the visuals for that particular song. I still stand by my original point that it is too much of a coincidence that there has not been a set list change (save for 2 songs) when Willie has not been there..

No, I'm not, read what I said. Something people dont appear to do when they respond to me. I said to mix up the setlist they dont need Willie there. Thats not the same thing as playing a song they have not played at all on the tour yet that "may" require some type of new video.

Back
Top Bottom