No GA? Expensive tickets!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosleftone

Refugee
Yea, that's what I heard.

It's second hand information from a "source" that I wouldnt call concrete by any means, but the rumors are that there will not be a general admission area and tickets will be in the $70-$80 range with the best seats being over $120.

I do trust the "source" based on the fact he's industry and has not told me BS before, but I know how U2 like us fans and wouldnt do that to us but with ClearChannel being the lead sponsor, it's a strong liklihood and something that I want to at least be prepared for.

Don't want to scare anybody, but until true concrete info (unless there is and I havent read it) is out it is a real possibility.

yea Im not taking any stock at all in this rumor whatsoever, but it cant be ruled out this day in age until we know for sure.

I really don't think it's the bands fault/problem if the tickets are that price, they seem very reasonable and about par with elevation when converted to sterling or to euro's.

I have heard the no GA rumor also but it only applies to N. American shows because Europe is a different stage concept. Supposedly it will be evident why there is none when you see the stage concept for arenas. Again, what I have heard is also a rumor so take it with a grain of salt. Just adding my 2 cents! :lol:

cdparky said:
After Elevation there is no chance that they'll drop the GA tickets.

how can anyone say that considering that GA was a gift with Elevation, the whole point of Elevation was a stripped down tour.

If you compare these prices to other superstar acts like Clapton, The Eagles and Madonna, it makes sense.

I will not be surprised at all if GA was not on this tour. Elevation spoiled a lot of fans in this regard (myself included).

The rumors are out there though, a non-GA tour is very likely.

With clear channel anything is possible. Its a corporation and they put money ahead of all else.

$80 to get in to see a Clear Channel run U2 concert is very cheap for todays standards. Clear Channel had the Stones and Madonna lower level seats for $350. U2 is bigger them both of them. I can understand the replacement of cheap GA tickets for top priced lower level tickets in order to cover the overall low ticket prices.

I know EVERYONE will disagree with me on this one...but I'm hoping for no GA....all the other U2 concerts I have been able to be close to my favorite band in the whole world...EXCEPT Elevation! Just because I couldn't (or wouldn't) sleep on the sidewalk for 12 hours, I was in the middle of a crowded, rude group of people (some of whom were only there to hear Streets Have No Name), and my poor 5'4" wife missed almost the whole show.

Give me an assigned seat, and if a rude drunk guy comes to close to us, security boots em!

Don't get me wrong...I had a blast at the show, and would pay double to do it again in a heartbeat (excuse the pun). And maybe I am getting too old (I'll be 30 on March 1st next year), but give me an assigned seat any day over GA.

And hey....if this is how the boys make their money, I'll pay $100 to see them....I mean this might be the price we pay for downloading their albumn before it comes out. No problem for me! Bono even thanks us most shows for spending out "hard earned cash"!

Looking forward to some great shows, boys!!!!

I have to agree with you U2Mass! I just can't see myself wanting to spend 12 hours in line to *maybe* get close enough. When I did GA it was a horrible experience. Most U2 fans are cool, but the few that aren't make it really horrible.
Give me a seat too! (Not that I'm gonna use:wink:)

Last edited:
I think that you are weak. GA is the way to go. Seats suck and how can you be as close without going through a ticket scalper? GA you have a better chance getting up close if you put time into it. Reading these last posts, you are letting yourselfs down. This is like the only time you will ever enjoy yourselfs, since you work almost every single week. I consider taking a mini-vacation(1 or 2 days) just to see a U2 show.

If they do arenas and don't do GA, ALL the best tickets will end up in the hands of scalpers. They said before Elevation that they would not have done it indoors if they couldn't do GA tickets - if they do arenas as all seated venues then the front rows will almost always be filled only with those who can afford or are willing to pay the scalpers. If it is GA, then they are guaranteed to have fans in the best places. If you don't want to stand in line, then buy seats - it isn't like the whole venue is GA. But don't think you have a realistic chance of being closer than you will with a GA ticket.

If you did GA last time and didn't enjoy it, then it's very simple - get seated tickets this time.

See ya all GA line first show of the tour. Wish I could go to Washington Square due to my splint coming off my hand.:sad: SNL no need to, no one except maybe the first person in line will get into either the live taping or the rehearsal.

Blue Room said:
I have heard the no GA rumor also but it only applies to N. American shows because Europe is a different stage concept. Supposedly it will be evident why there is none when you see the stage concept for arenas. Again, what I have heard is also a rumor so take it with a grain of salt. Just adding my 2 cents! :lol:

This seems very logical. If the stage is in the center, no reason to have GA, especially if it is some type of revolving stage.

I mean NO DISRESPECT TO THE BAND, but it one sense they are very much a business. I think the GA offering is not only good for Fans it sell more tickets on the floor which is good for the business. When push come to shove, I say the business will win.

The other thing is, I think GA has a strong sense of democracy in that no matter who you are, or what you have, if you are willing to give up your time, you will be rewarded with a good GA experience.

I would be VERY surprised if there was not some sort of GA.

Murph' - St. Louis

U2's stage will be similiar to Metallica's in the round stage. For Metallica and BIG hardcore fans we get the Front of the House side since Lars drumkit starts and ends the show. So we get 6 songs and everyone else in the arena gets 3 songs. GA is the way to go. Stop being pussies about having seats. First come, first serve, thats how it should work.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
Please, help a poor stupid guy like me,
if you go to GA, are you sure to get tickets?

I have no clue what you're getting at here. GA means general admission and applies to a "floor" area most of the time (somtimes it includes seats but its rare in arenas or stadium to include seats in GA). GA means that if you can stand/sit anywhere in the General Admission area. On Elevation that included the entire floor and inside the heart. First people on line got the best spots.

You are NEVER guaranteed tickets to any show regardless of them being GA or not. If there is a GA section to this tour, there is no guarantee you will get them as like Elevation they will be the most sought after tickets. Even if there is no GA it still will be hard.

I have a feeling this is going to be the most insane tour ever, just because of the amount of people trying to get tickets.

Last edited:
Super_Fan said:
U2's stage will be similiar to Metallica's in the round stage. For Metallica and BIG hardcore fans we get the Front of the House side since Lars drumkit starts and ends the show. So we get 6 songs and everyone else in the arena gets 3 songs. GA is the way to go. Stop being pussies about having seats. First come, first serve, thats how it should work.

And that's your OPINION. I just don't enjoy being pushed, shoved, leaned on and trampled over. Not to mention when I have done GA I've had beer spilled on me and people talking and making out near me. I only like having a seat so I have an actual spot that is mine to stand in without all that crap. I certain don't sit down. It's very nice that you and others like GA. If they do it, then I'm happy for you guys that do like but I don't. Just because I don't, doesn't make me weak (or the other great name you used!).

Last edited:
Lisa71 said:

And that's your OPINION. I just don't enjoy being pushed, shoved, leaned on and trampled over. Not to mention when I have done GA I've had beer spilled on me and people talking and making out near me. I only like having a seat so I have an actual spot that is mine to stand in without all that crap. I certain don't sit down. It's very nice that you and others like GA. If they do it, then I'm happy for you guys that do like but I don't. Just because I don't, doesn't make me weak (or the other great name you used!).

I guess Super_Fan doesn't realize that it's aggressive people like him who give GA a bad rep in the first place.

GA's only "bright spot" is the first come, first serve chance at getting the best "seats" in the house.

I am also in the minority, I like having seats. I had first 20 rows for Popmart and loved it. I loved the Elevation shows I went to, but I dont like having to show up at the arena 12 hours before the show to assure myself of getting close.

If you want to play the "first come, first serve" card, then be first on Ticketmaster when tickets go onsale to get the best seats.

It's going to be seated in all liklihood.

GA for Elevation was rather simple. You just had to know the crowd mentality. Most of the people who slept out early made a bee line straight for the front of the stage in the Heart. I went to the Boston two nights GA, and GA in DC and Baltimore. Got to the arena about four hours before the show, (reasonable three in the afternoon) and was on the outside rail of the Heart all four times, usually at the spot Edge and Bono did the mock bull fighting during UTEOTW.

GA would be preferred for this trip, because tickets for seats always seem to end up in the hands of scalpers and brokers, and that is not what should happen.

GA without a heart

I am 40 and loved GA last tour BUT I was part of the few, the proud who were on the heart (as I am sure most of you were). It was a relatively protected space. Outside the heart looked scary unless you were next to the stage but even then you had hundreds behind you (God forbid you had to go to the bathroom). I probably would not do GA if there is not a similar set up to last tour.

Last tour was by far the best seating for me since I first saw them - UF, also GA.

Any rumors if fans will be able to get tickets as was done through Propaganda in the past???

mdonal01 if you sign up for the new membership on U2.com, your shot at priority seating is included in the $40 membership fee :drool:

I really liked the GA for the Elevation tour, probably because I ended up about 5 feet from Bono :drool: :drool: :drool: but I'll be happy with whatever they choose to do!

Thanks for the membership info. Is that part of the new site to be launched this week? I have signed up for the mailing list but no sign of a fee.

Thank you, thank you!

barrett said:
$80 to get in to see a Clear Channel run U2 concert is very cheap for todays standards. Clear Channel had the Stones and Madonna lower level seats for $350. U2 is bigger them both of them. I can understand the replacement of cheap GA tickets for top priced lower level tickets in order to cover the overall low ticket prices.

Even so, that doesnt make it RIGHT.

I think everyone's getting a little up-in-arms too early. Bottom line, people - VERY FEW bands at U2's level do GA. Elevation was an exception. It would make more sense in the grand scheme of where they're at as a band NOT to have GA.

There really isn't a right or wrong here - ticket prices aren't set to screw people. They're set to recoup production costs, and most importantly (though some people hate this thought for some reason), TO MAKE MONEY. For the band, for the venues, for all management and promoters. And they will do it however they can. There really isn't a right or wrong, it's just capitalism at work in a BIG business. Is it maybe UNREASONABLE that Madonna charged $300? Perhaps. Is it "wrong"? I don't think so - how is it "wrong"? What would be right, letting everyone come for free and losing money on the tour?

Bottom line: this tour is NOT going to be cheap or easily accessible for anyone. Those days are gone; Elevation's success saw to that.

frozenmuze04 said:

Bottom line: this tour is NOT going to be cheap or easily accessible for anyone. Those days are gone; Elevation's success saw to that.

The bottom line is that no one knows for sure what the prices will be yet. Anything else is pure guesswork at this point.

Back
Top Bottom