News story on the ticket mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I paid £96.50 for a London show (I don't know what that is in US dollars) Today I feel a little bit of a mug. Having followed the band for 25 years this is a new feeling. Normally I am just pleased to get a ticket. But this time I feel a little bit srewed. Sorry to be so negative, but that is how I feel. An explanation from band management might help, but it all leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

That's exactly how I feel Zola. I had no choice but to go for reserved seating and ended up with a bill for 2 tickets of £190.50. Once the furore surrounding the pre-sale itself dies down, I really hope we get answers as to why they have suddenly hiked their ticket price through the roof.

Wow. I really had no idea the problem was this widespread. I was lucky enough to get 2 GAs to San Jose, but have to agree with everyone here that this presale was handled extremely poorly. Propaganda handled it much better - with them it seemed more like an in-house deal where members were taken care of, rather than a special arrangement with ticketmaster without much thought to the fans.

There definitely should be some sort of official response from the U2 camp on this one.

Last edited:
Chris--

The link you put up for groovevolt's story isn't working. Can you please eliminate the trailing backslash at the end of the URL? That's causing the error.

Thanks

Angtre01 said:
Do I feel lucky I got GA tickets in Boston now! People cannot even get any tickets???

Itried for two hours for tickets in boston....

I am in the upper deck, 13the row.

stevec said:

U2 - U suck!

DrMusk said:
U2 - wankers

Public Service Announcement

:huh: For the last time:
THE BAND DOES NOT SUCK!

U2.com sucks shit from a dead cow's arse (beautiful, poetic imagery for you there).
Ticketmaster sucks.
Their inability to communicate with each other, and us, sucks.
This farcical situation sucks.
Not the band.

Do you really believe that the band sat there plotting to fleece as many of their loyal fans as possible? I can see it now:

Bono: I have a cunning plan. Let's deliberately fuck up the website that sells tickets to our fans - that way we won't have to worry about touring at all; I didn't really want to go on tour anyway.

The four evil geniuses then came up with a variety of ways to piss us off as much as possible.

Get real!!! :rolleyes:

wolfeden said:
I _don't_ fault the band in this -- but I do fault a breakdown in the reality-checks of a great many people within the business structure of the U2 corporation. Fanfire? Ticketmaster? Please. They had to know this would be nothing but a crisis. To have thought otherwise is either the result of naivete, stupidity, or outright disregard for the dedication of the fans -- and all three are dismaying to this 21-year veteran.

What in hell was PM thinking??

Now, THAT'S more like it!:yes:

Last edited:
barrett said:
I have no problem with getting shut out of the presale. I paid $40 for the CHANCE to get seats before the general public. My problem is that I was offered the LAST row of the UPPER level in the FURTHEST section from the stage at the United Center for $95 plus surcharges. These are the seats that were offered to the fans. I basically paid $40 for the opportunity to snag the worst seats in the house. Prince, DMB, Pearl Jam, REM...we all know the kind of seats they provide (same as PROP used to give out).

same here, U2.com said they had reserved good seats for presale. Who the hell wants to pay for the last row nearly behind the stage on presale, and double the price of the best seats. Why were these seats even offered!!! That's what makes me mad.

Do not give up the fight. Continue faxing today (I have re-faxed the ones I sent yesterday to both offices).

Principle Management NY : +1 (212) 765-2372
Principle Management Dublin: + (353) 1 6777 276

royo said:
Chris--

The link you put up for groovevolt's story isn't working. Can you please eliminate the trailing backslash at the end of the URL? That's causing the error.

Thanks

Fixed!

Added some more links too...

sallycinnamon78 said:

Public Service Announcement

:huh: For the last time:
THE BAND DOES NOT SUCK!

U2.com sucks shit from a dead cow's arse (beautiful, poetic imagery for you there).
Ticketmaster sucks.
Their inability to communicate with each other, and us, sucks.
This farcical situation sucks.
Not the band.

Do you really believe that the band sat there plotting to fleece as many of their loyal fans as possible? I can see it now:

Get real!!! :rolleyes:

Oh dear, you need to get real. I really do believe U2 want to fleece as many people as possible. If you look at U2's albums they promote U2.com, it is their official site, it also says on that site regarding the pre-sales that U2 will offer General Admission floor tickets giving fans the best view in the house for the lowest ticket price. Reserved seat tickets in the stands will also be available.. U2!! If this problem had not have arosed you'd probably be talking about how great U2 are for devising this U2 pre sale thing but now it's gone wrong we better not mention U2 have anything to do with it.

Did ticketmaster issue 4 different versions of HTDAAB, did they issue 4 different versions of that Vertigo single, did ticketmaster sell way too many pre-sale codes at $40 a pop (because who really is going to fork that out for a crap piece of plastic and a key ring?). No! U2 did! To get more money out of people. This is what's happening now. More people are being fleeced & of course it's the loyal fans, they are the easiest people to fleece.

Wake up and smell the coffee. U2 suck. :|

Last edited:
I don't see why I should defend what is after all, only MY opinion Sally. However, I will say it again.....

"U2" are not just the band members, although they do take as active a part in touring aspects as time or practicality will allow by all accounts. "U2 - the product" are also McGuinness and Principle Management, who it would appear, are now in the business of simple profiteering. Again, my opinion - right or wrong.

Decisions made by band and/or management will reflect upon the band, therefore actions taken by promoters and ticketing agents for and on behalf of U2 - the product, also reflect on U2 the band. When things go right, they're great and the band are applauded. When things go wrong, it's a natural reaction for many people to include the band when complaining.

It is hard for me to separate band from overall product, as they are all so inter-connected with eachother. I never said anything like them being 4 evil geniuses with a plan, so to make it sound like I did was not fair and is just a poor attempt at sarcasm. I do think however, that the prospect of making a lot of money has perhaps clouded the U2 camp's vision a little.

Where my comments have not been a deliberate attempt to bait people, I think that I and anyone else who wants, should be entitled to be angry at the events of the last 24 hours. Much, much worse has been said I can assure you. If you are really so offended then I am sorry.

There were ways to orchestrate this presale which would have resulted in far less chaos. If fans recognise this, then I fail to see why so-called professionals such as PM and Ticketmaster could not. This is not after all, U2's first world tour.

If you look at my other posts, they were all pointing the finger at U2.com and TM for the technical problems and to a degree, misrepresentation. U2 the band got off lightly.

"Get real"? I thought I had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom