New York V Setlist Watch and Party Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, because yor opinion would have more merit, actually being at the show as opposed to sitting behind a screen.

Over and over, it's the same thing: people moan about Vertigo 2x, only to be followed by people who saw the show and say it works.

U2girl said:
No, because yor opinion would have more merit, actually being at the show as opposed to sitting behind a screen.

Over and over, it's the same thing: people moan about Vertigo 2x, only to be followed by people who saw the show and say it works.

I saw it in Boston in May and something else would've been better.

Don't just assume the people who were there loved it.

U2girl said:
I didn't, and don't assume everyone hated it.

No-one's assumed that. People have just expressed disappointment that a band with a huge catalogue like U2 is actually repeating a song in concert.

haha, looks like i missed a good time tonight

i see u2.com has walk on and i will follow listed in their setlist

idiots

also i cant believe all the abuse that was thrown at axver. he is a respected member of the board who very rarely lets emotions get the best of him, and when they do he still doesn't insult anybody because of it. so what if Axver was expecting to see more variety over these 5 days at MSG, i think we all were. there is no need to call him names over that.

Axver said:

No-one's assumed that. People have just expressed disappointment that a band with a huge catalogue like U2 is actually repeating a song in concert.

I know they did, I have also seen people expressing the opinion that Vertigo twice works.

It's not like your mind on repeating Vertigo wasn't made up before you saw the Boston shows anyway.

Last edited:
The big news of the week from this run in NY? No POP songs. Is it safe to say Discotheque is dead?

Alos, looks like Vertigo X2 has reared its ugly head and initated another spirited debate about the merits of playing this twice.

Chizip said:
also i cant believe all the abuse that was thrown at axver. he is a respected member of the board who very rarely lets emotions get the best of him, and when they do he still doesn't insult anybody because of it. so what if Axver was expecting to see more variety over these 5 days at MSG, i think we all were. there is no need to call him names over that.

Thanks, Chizip, I appreciate the kind words. :)

U2girl said:

I know they did, I have also seen people expressing the opinion that Vertigo twice works.

It's not like your mind on repeating Vertigo wasn't made up before you saw the Boston shows anyway.

I love how you assume you know what I thought. Before the three Boston shows, I reasoned that we'd likely have Vertigo x2 at least once, so if they did do it, I wouldn't let any preconceived ideas sway me and see just how fun it is, as some people whose opinions I respect said it was great in person. And sure, it was fun, a bit of a kick, but I didn't really think it to be anything noteworthy at all.

Chizip said:
haha, looks like i missed a good time tonight

i see u2.com has walk on and i will follow listed in their setlist

idiots

In case they take it down, here's the whole article:

Walk On New York City
Gloria and Walk On in for fifth show at Madison Square Garden. Check a great set list, report to follow.

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Gloria
Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can’t Make it on Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

First Time
Stuck in a Moment
Fast Cars
With or Without You

All Because of You
Walk On
Yahweh

:|

I cannot believe the total incompetence of U2.com. This is embarrassing to the band.

Axver said:

I love how you assume you know what I thought. Before the three Boston shows, I reasoned that we'd likely have Vertigo x2 at least once, so if they did do it, I wouldn't let any preconceived ideas sway me and see just how fun it is, as some people whose opinions I respect said it was great in person. And sure, it was fun, a bit of a kick, but I didn't really think it to be anything noteworthy at all.

What did I assume? You were railing against Vertigo x2 right from the Seattle show on first leg.

U2girl said:

What did I assume? You were railing against Vertigo x2 right from the Seattle show on first leg.

Of course, I was disappointed they did it, but people who actually witnessed Vertigo x2 said it was good so I put aside my biases for my concerts so that I could enjoy it as if I'd been at the Seattle show.

You're free to disbelieve me as much as you want, but I know my own mind and thought processes.

To those of us who follow these setlists religiously, of course we may get a bit too philosophical when they don't 'mix things up enough', but for the 15000 people at MSG last night who haven't seen a setlist all tour (that's allowing 5000 to be mulitple show attendees/setlist lurkers, which is very high in my estimation) this had to be a show to remember.

Always remember that there is a large group at each show who are seeing U2 for the first, and possibly only, time in their lives. The band has a responsibility to play the hits... most people would be disappointed if some of the dream setlists posted here were ever actually played. The number of die-hards, as evidenced by those who posted in this thread (assuming that die hards would be on interference) is infinitesimal... relatively speaking. What I'm trying to say is that there would be a very small minority at any given show who would really appreciate that Mofo, Wire, or any of these b-side rarities were ever played. The majority of the audience would likely be going: :scratch:

The band recognizes that and structures their setlist accordingly, IMHO.

Last edited:
Missed the party, but I wanted to weigh in on this...you know, it's not a bad setlist actually. From a personal standpoint, I don't like Fast Cars or Stuck, so I'd rather have had Crumbs & OOTS, or Walk On again. But again, that's just me...

The only true mistake is the return of Vertigo X2. Sure, it's sort of cool (and yes, I've seen it in person, Dublin 1). But it's kind of a "cheap thrill", like going to the art museum and seeing a nude - my Beavis & Butt-head side is like "boobs, cool!" but the thrill wears off in like 2 seconds. As much as I love 40 I think Vertigo actually works as a closer; how about not playing it early then? IMO a nice compromise would be playing it last, after One, before the encore...but whatever.

I can't believe those other songs were on the setlist originally! :ohmy:

now THAT would have been an amazing show!!! Walk On is my favorite U2 song :heart:

and I thought last night was great :shrug: Yeah, I was admittedly a bit disappointed about the setlist at times (like when they started First Time and then Vertigo again) and I would have definitely rather have seen 40 close. But, oh well!! It was a really good show overall :up: :hyper:

HelloAngel said:
Ouizy.. if you don't want to get yelled at here, feel free to email me and we can talk about the show.

it's kind of sad that someone who went to a show can't come back and give an honest review without fear of being ridiculed

I'm glad that this party is still going strong. :rockon:

I don't think anyone who didn't enjoy the show should worry about being "shot in the back". At least you were there and can actually have an opinion of what transpired at the show.

After reading a few of the comments from the people here who were there I was actually waiting to get on u2tours and see similar reactions. There are only 3 reviews up so far and those are extremely positive. This just reinforces my belief that everyone will feel differently. Some people will have had the time of their lives, others will have thought the show was crap and some will be somewhere in between. No one is right, no one is wrong and no one should worry about being ridiculed for their opinion.

I'm actually quite interested in seeing the shows next week in a city that has yet to be exposed to Vertigo. Maybe after 5 nights in MSG both the band & many of the repeat attendees were just going through the motions. If you read the reactions here you get that impression, if you read the 3 reviews on u2tours, nothing can be further from the truth. :shrug:

Do I like setlist shakeups and new songs premiered? Sure. Do I think the songs being played suck. No. MSG 1 & 2 are currently ranked as my favorite of the 10 I've attended to date.

As far as the setlist party goes, the insults/condescending comments were flying in both directions. Hopefully we'll all take a minute to peruse Sicy's sticky regarding these parties. :|

I think people on both sides are taking this too seriously. everyone needs to calm down.

this is a u2 forum, people have the right to give their opinion on the band. It's not like Axver is some hater just jumping on here to ridicule the band and then leave.

The guy flew all the way from Australia to Boston to see some u2 gigs, imo he can give his opinion all he wants on some setlists.

Axver said:
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Gloria
Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can’t Make it on Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

First Time
Stuck in a Moment
Fast Cars
With or Without You

All Because of You
Walk On
Yahweh

I cannot believe the total incompetence of U2.com. This is embarrassing to the band.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking this might be the setlist that u2 sent out to u2.com, before the show started.

Do the people that work at u2.com go to every single concert?
I doubt it.
So is it wrong for them to assume that u2 will play the setlist they emailed to them?
I don't think so.

u2.com are just trying to get the setlist out quickly after the setlist.
That effort should be appreciated.

Making mistakes is only human.

And no, I'm not a member of u2.com.

Any way, I remember Rambling Rose saying that MTEdge text her that U2 had already changed the setlist 3 times.
She wasn't sure what it meant.
I believe after that Lila posted that perhaps he saw the original setlist.

Maybe this is what they originally planned on playing.
Sometimes things change at the last minute.
And different things can influence that.

But what do I know.
Just posting what I was thinking.

Last edited:
It's on nights like this that we could use the middle finger as an emoticons and shove it to the face for those who think they know better than the band themsefl....

It's been going on since San Diego 1.....enough allready.

ramblinrose :up: I'm also curious to see what we get in DC having had no Vertigo at all yet....
RademR :up:

u2wedge: Congrats on 1000! Was it a good one? :wink:

Cigar said:
It's on nights like this that we could use the middle finger as an emoticons and shove it to the face for those who think they know better than the band themsefl....

It's been going on since San Diego 1.....enough allready.

Don't worry it will be over soon there are only 66 days of this left. :(

I just read through all 3 pages of setlist "party" here. I could say a lot, but I'll just say that some of you should stop slamming Axver here. Sure, I saw his reactions to some of the setlist party threads that were started too early in his opinion, thought he needed to calm down, but your name calling and abuse in here was just ridiculous. Axver may only be 18 years old, but his behaviour was immensely more mature than all of you who attacked him. Axver :up: for not taking to this kind of behaviour yourself in this thread.

On another note, I'm disappointed to see that ouizy couldn't post his review because of, well, what was said above. I hope you'll do it anyway, somewhere, ouizy.

U2Man said:
I could say a lot.

So can I.
But I choose not to.

I made a very consicious decision to stay out of it.

Besides, I highly doubt anyone is interested in what I have to say about it anyway.

My post will likely be ignored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom