NA Stadium Tour--Could (should) they do it next time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tommycharles said:

You forget, though, that in 1992, not only had they not played America in five years, but that in the mean time they'd released two albums.

So demand was bound to be higher in 1992 than it is right now.

Well, the time off between the Elevation Tour and the Vertigo tour was 4 years and the demand for the shows this year clearly showed that if the band had chosen to do a stadium tour in North America, they could have done it. In Europe, the band is more popular than they have ever been in their history. The European Vertigo tour is the highest grossing tour in the history of Europe.

Back in 1992, Achtung Baby had just been released and came after Rattle And Hum 3 years earlier. 5 years away can sometimes sink an artist, as well has help build up demand. Typically though, it only takes 3 years away from the road to insure the maximum demand possible for a new tour for veteran artist from that perspective. Album sales and other things will also impact demand.

Re: Re: NA Stadium Tour--Could (should) they do it next time?

babyman said:

Well, if they're able to fill the arenas with 20.000-25.000 people for each night when they play 2-3 or 4 shows in a row, why should they not fill the seats in a stadium?
Imagine: 4 arena shows in a city, each with 20.000 people.

What would this mean?

1 stadium show in that city, 80.000 people

U2 would fill every hole on earth

:wink:

Indeed the band could have done a stadium tour in North America in 2005 instead of an Arena tour. The problem now is that many of these markets have just recently had U2 play there anywhere from 2 to 10 times depending on the city. These markets have in some ways been depleted of demand and it will take more time to build it up to where it was prior to the start of the tour. There is certainly left over demand because U2 did not fully satisfy demand everywhere last year, but when you play stadiums, you need maximum demand levels to insure sellouts. I'm sure U2 could sellout a several stadiums in various places in North America, but more Arena shows actually would probably be a better fit for most cities given the number of people the Vertigo tour has already played to in North America.

But Europe on the other hand could easily sellout another 32 stadium shows!

U2FanPeter said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that u2 have yet to successfully start and end a tour in North American Stadiums.

u2fp

Technically thats true I guess although POPMART did start and end in Stadiums in North America, although there were several shows that had poor attendance, for a stadium show.

The band could have started in Stadiums in North America on ZOO TV, but chose the arena's in order to test the waters and guage what demand was like. Clearly though, the demand was there and the fall leg in 1992 featured some of U2's strongest attendance levels for various North American cities in stadiums.

The same could also be said about the Joshua Tree tour and the Vertigo tour. In hindsite, its clear that the demand was there for a full stadium tour for both tours.

IMO, arenas provide a far better "band" experience unless you're a fan of watching a video screen to really see the action. Yes, the set for the Vertigo stadium shows looks amazing but if you're into the up close and personal experience, arena shows are the way to go. I've seen both arena and stadium legs for multiple tours and the best experiences by far were on the arena legs.

Also, I think it's kind of skewed to base demand for stadium shows on the band selling out a series of arena shows in a given city (unless we're talking major markets like NY, LA, etc). I imagine there are a lot more multiple attendees at arena shows than you think. Probably not the best comparison, but look at the Hawaii show which has yet to sell out...

bratty_cat said:
IMO, arenas provide a far better "band" experience unless you're a fan of watching a video screen to really see the action. Yes, the set for the Vertigo stadium shows looks amazing but if you're into the up close and personal experience, arena shows are the way to go. I've seen both arena and stadium legs for multiple tours and the best experiences by far were on the arena legs.

Also, I think it's kind of skewed to base demand for stadium shows on the band selling out a series of arena shows in a given city (unless we're talking major markets like NY, LA, etc). I imagine there are a lot more multiple attendees at arena shows than you think. Probably not the best comparison, but look at the Hawaii show which has yet to sell out...

Well, you have to be careful and know that 60,000 tickets sold from 3 arena shows is probably the equilavent of selling 45,000 tickets to one show. The thing is, U2 failed to satisfy demand with the multiple shows they did in North America. Philadelphia had 4 shows, but they could have added another 2 shows. 6 Arena shows is essentially the same as 2 stadium shows at roughly a 50,000 capacity for each show.

The fact is, the majority of people do not go to multiple shows, although a lot do. Another thing to look at is the rate of sellout. Considering how fast Tampa Bay soldout, I'd say the band could have played to 40,000 people in a stadium on Vertigo.

The Rolling Stones, the top touring band worldwide since 1975 failed to sellout either of their two Hawaii shows with a smaller capacity than U2 is using for their show. The fact is, the Hawaii market at best can only support one Stadium show at the 35,000 capacity level for only the most popular artist. U2 might be able to put on a second show, but its unlikely to completely sellout.

But thats Hawaii, a small market compared to even a moderate sized city like Tampa Bay.

I think what they need to do is have mostly arena shows in the US (like someone said above the setlists tend to vary more in arenas) but do Stadium shows in the big markets, particularly big U2 Markets like Boston (which would technically be in Foxoboro to be in Gillete Stadium)

So maybe a mostly arena tour with some Stadium shows, of course that won't happen because it would be too expensive to develop two shows for the US. So for NA it's either all one, or all the other.

Oh and Sting2, I'm sure they could support another show in Honolulu, I hope they do add one, I really want to go.

powerhour24 said:
I think what they need to do is have mostly arena shows in the US (like someone said above the setlists tend to vary more in arenas) but do Stadium shows in the big markets, particularly big U2 Markets like Boston (which would technically be in Foxoboro to be in Gillete Stadium)

So maybe a mostly arena tour with some Stadium shows, of course that won't happen because it would be too expensive to develop two shows for the US. So for NA it's either all one, or all the other.

Oh and Sting2, I'm sure they could support another show in Honolulu, I hope they do add one, I really want to go.

U2 did both Arena's and Stadiums in North America for the Joshua Tree tour and ZOO TV tour. Cost is not a problem. The Rolling Stones have done this for their past two tours.

U2 could play another show in Hawaii for sure, the question is would they be able to sellout it considering the first show is not completely sold out yet.

I think they could sell it out, they've got 2 months to do so. I'd love to go, but I'm wating on the announcment (or lack there of) to decide as I'd want GA tickets.

<<Hawaii is not sold out yet>>

How much of this is due to the fact it was pre-announced(unofficially on radio and print) that they would play 2 shows?

L03VIk said:
I'm fine with them only doing stadiums i Europe...
Judging on the US Crowd this tour (with some exceptions of course), there will not be a stadium tour there in the near future...

Many people are sitting down during the concert. That works OK for 10 000 people, but you cant have a crowd of 50 000 sitting down... No offence...

I don't think it works in an arena very well either though.

They'll have a shock when they get to Australia. I've been to a fair few Arena shows since I got here at the end of 2001 and I've never seen anything like it. If there are seats, they sit on them and don't move....except to shout at someone who dare stands up in front of them, so I wouldn't expect anything different at the stadium shows in the seating sections.

Tommy Lee of Motley Crue made a point of mentioning it from the stage, gigs by the Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam and Coldplay were all the same. The seating section stayed firmly planted in their seats. How can you enjoy yourself at a rock show by sitting down?!!!! A mate of mine spoke to Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and even he, the nice guy of rock n' roll, said the amount of people sitting down at their arena shows in Oz sucked ass compared to the arena crowds in Europe who stood up and went mental throughout the show - and having lived most of my life in the UK and attended hundreds of live shows, I can't remember ever sitting down in an arena or stadium even if I was in the seating section, and neither did anyone else.

But it's not just a problem in Oz by the sounds of it. In my opinion, the chair does not belong at a rock show unless you are disabled, pregnant or otherwise unable to stand for a couple of hours in which case you have a damn good reason to be sat down.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but just adding to the debate. What are peoples experiences at Arena shows in North America or anywhere else in the world? Did people jump up and dance about in the seating sections at the show you were at or were they all boring bastards and left an indent of their arse in the plastic seat?

Even if it's not exclusively an Australian problem, the band themselves remarked on it during Popmart (I'm sure I remember hearing a boot from one of the Aussie shows where Bono says "we've gotta get the fucking seats out of this joint" or something like that)...and hence we got Elevation. GA shows > seated shows. Especially in stadiums.

Back
Top Bottom