My Thoughts On Opening Nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
My Thoughts On Opening Night

I wasn't there, but I've listened to the whole bootleg.

1.I really felt like there was a great freshness to this show. They dropped a lot of things - and I don't mean songs - from past tours. I mean they dropped signature PARTS of songs. The SBS Coda - no more, the drum beat starts over but goes straight into Bullet. The One Coda - no more, but it is replaced by CATHARTIC, BEAUTIFUL vocal duet of Bono and Edge(WA AH AH OH OH OH OH OH WA AH OH OH OH OH OH OH). Bullet lost the spoken dialog at the end, replaced by a Hands snippet. The end of Streets was a little different, not the normal 'oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh's. Just stuff like that, not to mention the inclusions of FOUR songs most of us thought were out of the live set FOREVER: The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, and Zoo Station, and also one most of us didn't think we'd hear in its entirety again, "40". Just a great freshness.

2.Bono's voice is 50 times better now than it was last tour. If you weren't convinced by the album, listen to this boot. Listen to a few specific places. Listen to BD, the last 'touch me/take me to that other place/teach me/I know I'm not a hopeless case'. His voice cracked all over the place on those lines EVERY time last tour. Last night, not one crack. He SOARED over those lines. The last 'teach' was heavenly. Listen to NYD, 'newspaper says that true, say that's true that's true and we can break through/though torn in two/we can be one'. Again, cracking all over the place on Popmart and Elevation. Nearly flawless last night. The entirety of Sometimes. Bono hit everything at the end of it. Miracle Drug - the last chorus, the last long 'miracle', he holds it for three or four seconds easy, and it sounds great. And listen to Elevation, last tour the 'woo hoo's were pre-recorded partially, this time Bono is singing them himself and there are no cracks at all. It's just AMAZING how much better his voice is now.

3.The new songs are brilliant live. Miracle Drug is just amazing - Edge nailed the solo and his vocals and everything perfectly, and those last 'MIRACLE's both Bono and Edge held were spine-tingling. They played the best live performance of Vertigo I've heard yet, easily, and SFB in it was awesome. Yahweh....Yahweh. Yahweh acoustic live is 500x the album version. I can't get enough of it. It is a great crowd sing-a-long song. And Edge storming in at the end with the vocal climax...Superbly done. COBL as the opener was the perfect choice. Very reminescent of Streets as an opener in the late 80s. That riff is really a great one to start a show on. LAPOE rocks VERY FUCKING HARD. Bono nailed 'Sometimes', and we know that that really is Bono's song. They even improved ABOY by having Edge sing in a higher octave during the chorus - although I'm a tad disappointed at Bono's scream being omitted, but that's a very minor gripe. These songs sound AMAZING and the scary thing is I think they can still get better.

4."40" - Sometimes I would wonder if U2 even remembered what they did in the 80s, with one member leaving the stage at a time and all that. Obviously they haven't. The song still sounds as good as it did then.

Last edited:
Finally, a review I agree 100% with. It seems like most reviewers were so wrapped up in the fact that they didn't get inside the eclipse that they paid no attention to the band's performance itself. Either that, or the new stage wasn't "flashy" enough. U2 isn't going to be around forever. The fact that stuff like that kept people from enjoying what was truly an awesome performance is very, very sad. I'm very glad to see posts like yours :)

I agree with all of this. I guess I was lucky because I had very good seats and didn't have to worry about anything before the show.

I was in awe the whole show. Just got home and can't wait to download it.:drool: :drool:

Love Peace or Else was my definitive highlight.

I heard the boot and agree. I think the mix was a little rough and there were some bumps, but this show is going to be amazing in two or three weeks. That new version of the Fly rocks. Loved Bono singing "Miles and Miles' at the end of Electric Co.

You should also mention Bono butchered The Fly, Zoo Station, and Electric Co. by flubbing lyrics. He better buy some of his albums and look up the lyrics. He was really bad last nite.

Listening to the boot and the similiarities to Elevation tour the one thing I wish they held over musically was that beautiful intro to The Fly.

I'm on my second time through the bootleg right now. I knew the show completely rocked last night as I watched it, but rehearing it is just incredible. This is the freaking opener! I can only imagine what this tour is going to turn out like. Great job U2. Great job indeed.

Running to stand still, love and peace or else, the electric co. w/ send in the clowns snippet, yahweh, 40. Some highlights of the boot for me.

One song that really didn't work in the show - Elevation. It was a great opener for the last tour. Anywhere else in the setlist is just blah for me.

ramblin rose said:
I agree with all of this. I guess I was lucky because I had very good seats and didn't have to worry about anything before the show.

I was in awe the whole show. Just got home and can't wait to download it.:drool: :drool:

Love Peace or Else was my definitive highlight.

How was the band's energy level?
Did they just played or were they playas??

:D

I thought they had great energy. Bono seemed very playful and the adrenaline seemed to be flowing. Seeing him rock the drum during Love and Peace with his headband and red jacket was crazy. It may just be me, but I thought the energy was certainly there. They might have been a bit tight out of nervousness or whatever, but it was great for an opener.

Re: My Thoughts On Opening Night

namkcuR said:

3.The new songs are brilliant live. Miracle Drug is just amazing - Edge nailed the solo and his vocals and everything perfectly, and those last 'MIRACLE's both Bono and Edge held were spine-tingling. They played the best live performance of Vertigo I've heard yet, easily, and SFB in it was awesome. Yahweh....Yahweh. Yahweh acoustic live is 500x the album version. I can't get enough of it. It is a great crowd sing-a-long song. And Edge storming in at the end with the vocal climax...Superbly done. COBL as the opener was the perfect choice. Very reminescent of Streets as an opener in the late 80s. That riff is really a great one to start a show on. LAPOE rocks VERY FUCKING HARD. Bono nailed 'Sometimes', and we know that that really is Bono's song. They even improved ABOY by having Edge sing in a higher octave during the chorus - although I'm a tad disappointed at Bono's scream being omitted, but that's a very minor gripe. These songs sound AMAZING and the scary thing is I think they can still get better.

That's one big difference for me compared to the Elevation tour. I might be wrong but it seems for alot of people on that tour were older songs-After only one night I could see a few that might end up being The moment of the night

I thought they had tremendous energy.

I'm sure this show will just get better and better as they get more comfortable. The shows in May, 2nd leg and 3rd leg are probably going to blow even the naysayers away.

Oh and Mr. Brau, I think its called improvisation..;)

Opening night-well what a night-I feel like I need to go through a de-briefing or something with a shrink. After waiting four very long years-the anticipation and expectations were high. Given that-I realized it was opening night and there would be major flubs-And there were, we have all bitched about them-enough already I say. Openings nights have to happen-duh-but I don't think I have the gusto to endure one again-All I kept thinking last week was Everything you know is wrong-We are really spoiled by U2-The music, personalities, culture are all bigger than life-The music just channels through all four of them, and when that channeling isn't quite clear and lucid, we need to cut them some slack. They have been together for over 30 frickin years-how many bands can say that? And they are yet to put out a crap album, I happen to think Pop was one of their best yet-Look at all that copy cats that tried to emulate that tour, InStink,etc.I love U2, but I will be a closer rather than an opener from here on out-:edge: :happy:

Back
Top Bottom