Music quality of concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastmiele

The Fly
My friend is a bigger U2 fan than I am and has gone to 3 seperate U2 concerts over the years. He says they give a really good show, but the one thing he is not impressed by is the amplification of Bono's voice. He says do they something to make him sound kind of like a chipmunk.

I didn't really know what to really say because I have never gone to a U2 concert before until Friday's concert. I have gone to many concerts over the years and saw quite a number of the big performers/bands (ie. Elton John, The Eagles, Phil Collins, etc). My review of U2's performance is very good. Lots of energy and the music sounded pretty good too. I listened very closely at how well the instruments are played. The Edge played the guitar great and Larry did an excellent job on the drums. I don't care how loud the music is, I can't stand it if it sounds distorted.
In this case, the sound was pretty clear but it was a bit too loud because its really not good when you come out and your ears are ringing and can't hear very well.

However, I did notice what my friend was talking about. They did something to the amplification of Bono's voice and on some songs it sounds weird and doesn't sound the same like on their music CD's and DVD's. I wouldn't say he sounds like a chipmunk, but it doesn't sound good in my opinion. What do you people think of the quality of music performance for vocals and instruments ?

Last edited:
I went to the show tonight (Friday). Bono's voice sounded a little bit higher pitched than normal, I think his vocal chords were just worked out. And the sound was totally oversaturated, I could barely hear what Bono was saying during parts heavy with instruments.

But it didn't take away one bit from the greatness of this concert.

my friend says all the other U2 concerts he went to Bono sounded like a chipmunk so it seems like a regular thing ?

This phenomenon seems to happen only in some parts of the arena. For instance, I noticed it when I was outside of the ellipse, but when I was inside of it, he sounded totally normal. I'm pretty sure it's not Bono himself causing this to happen, but something with the sound setup. I'm not sure if it's because of the way the sound bounces or what, but it is odd.

At each of the nine U2 shows I've attended over the years, both indoors and outdoors, this has always happened. Maybe "chipmunk" isn't right word, but it's close enough to get at the point. It hasn't ruined any of the shows for me by ANY stretch, but it still happens. It was most noticeable during PopMart (the first time I saw them), most likely because we were outdoors and if there are any sound "problems," they're only amplified by that sort of setting.

I do remember, though, thinking to myself, "Is THIS what he really sounds like? Have all the albums, professional live recordings, and VHS tapes lied to me...???" It was disorienting as hell at first, but all was well quickly enough.

At last Monday's show, I was seated directly across from the sound board, and the sound was excellent. Bono's voice was superb, with no distortion or unusual highness. I really do believe it depends on where you are seated. I'm going tonight as well, and sitting very close to the stage. I'll let you know.
(The last Elevation show I saw had quite a bit of aural distortion, from where I was seated.)

Theedge070 said:
At Boston 3 his voice was unusually higher. I wouldn't say chipmunk though.

Really? Where were you? I was section 307 first night, inside the ellipse second and third, and never once noticed a sound problem during U2's set.

got exactly the same at Cardiff (stadium, but closed roof) - i was on the front rail outside the ellipse (so about on the halfway line)

My friend said it was down to vibrations - it was quite bad during Beautiful Day in particular - a lot of people moaned about the soudn quality at that time but not everyone - so it does depend on where you are.

If you shout... said:
At each of the nine U2 shows I've attended over the years, both indoors and outdoors, this has always happened. Maybe "chipmunk" isn't right word, but it's close enough to get at the point. It hasn't ruined any of the shows for me by ANY stretch, but it still happens. It was most noticeable during PopMart (the first time I saw them), most likely because we were outdoors and if there are any sound "problems," they're only amplified by that sort of setting.

I do remember, though, thinking to myself, "Is THIS what he really sounds like? Have all the albums, professional live recordings, and VHS tapes lied to me...???" It was disorienting as hell at first, but all was well quickly enough.

Great post, very clear and straight to the point. I am thinking of writing to the U2 group administration and asking them what is going on with the high pitch.

I too was thinking the same thing. "Is THIS what he really sounds like? Have all the albums, professional live recordings, and VHS tapes lied to me ?" It really was disorienting at first because you are expecting the same voice on the music cd and then you hear something very different.

gorman said:
This phenomenon seems to happen only in some parts of the arena. For instance, I noticed it when I was outside of the ellipse, but when I was inside of it, he sounded totally normal. I'm pretty sure it's not Bono himself causing this to happen, but something with the sound setup. I'm not sure if it's because of the way the sound bounces or what, but it is odd.

When you are in front of the ellipse, don't they use different speakers ?

I remember when I went to different band concerts they had smaller speaker boxs in front of the stage. So for the people in the front on the floor they were listening to those speakers instead of the monster speakers hanging down from the ceiling.

caragriff said:
i have been to 6 shows and he has never sounded like a chipmunk to me. at all.

at boston 2 i thought he was hard to hear and the guitars were up too loud, but that's all.

You would think that with the master control board they would have everything perfected. With any band and many of the different concerts I have went to there is always something wrong, either the bass is too loud, sound distorted, etc.
It really dampens the purpose of going to a live concert for me because I am a high fidelity listener.

I really don't understand why its so hard to get things down pat. Isn't this why they have a sound check in the afternoon ?
Of course, I am sure there are many other factors that I am
not aware of, but I am still disappointed though. Many of my friends just laugh at me for wasting my money going to live concerts because they say its better listening to the studio version on music cd. They just don't understand you can't reproduce the same sounds from The Edge's guitar on a home music system.

Back
Top Bottom