Message to American Fans Complaining Of Nosebleeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
beli said:
At least people with nosebleed arena seats, or 3 miles from the stage stadium seats are going to actually be at a U2 concert.

signed

The Southern Hemisphere

:up:

Originally posted by bathiu
Stadiums are BETTER than arenas...

On a "failure" PopMart Tour, after an album with medium comercial succes, 3.9mln fans saw U2 live...
On a "succesfull" ElevationTour after comercialy succesful album only 2.1mln fans saw U2.

Arenas are not fair...

Um, Popmart played bigger venues and lasted longer. That is why more people saw it, but that doesn't make it a better tour. In fact, Elevation is frequently referred as one of their best tours, by fans and critics alike.

On the Popmart tour, U2 - for the first time in their career - had attendance problems.
On the Elevation tour, U2 sold out virtually all shows - certainly all seats they put on sale.

At least people who posted in this thread will see U2 live.
Signed, non northern and western Europe.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are actually saying Stadiums are better to see U2 then arena's!!!

Obviously anybody who states this is either on crack or hasn't seen/heard U2 blow up a 18-20k seat arena...

Talk about night and day.

Arena's are all about intamicy.Just look at the pictures of the Elevation tour in the US and look at how insane the setup is.

JR#9 said:
I can't believe people are actually saying Stadiums are better to see U2 then arena's!!!

Obviously anybody who states this is either on crack or hasn't seen/heard U2 blow up a 18-20k seat arena...

I have, but have you seen and heard U2 blow up a stadium with 60+K in attendance? ;)

JR#9 said:
Arena's are all about intamicy.Just look at the pictures of the Elevation tour in the US and look at how insane the setup is.

It could me just me or just Boston, but on the Boston DVD the crowd does look a bit lame to me.

I've only seen U2 in stadiums (Popmart and Elevation) and think both of those shows kicked some serious ass.

Having said that. I want to state here that I prefer stadiums/large festival grounds over Arenas. Arenas are substitutes for bands who can't fill stadiums.
I don't really find Arenas intimate. Great intimate concerts are given in clubs/ tents/other venues with <5000 spectators. Those can be really great....Arenas, I'm sorry, but they're not my thing, and Yes, I've been there.

Of course I believe that seats at the back of stadium suck.....Seats suck anyway. You don't want seats, you wanna be on the ground and jump around, dance around if you like. Big crowds, when played well, are better than smaller crowds (or go really intimate).
I'd rather be anywhere at Slane then at any seat in Boston.....

My grandpa can sit if he wants.....but then he isn't going to a rock show!!! :mad: :rockon: :macdevil:

Last edited:
bathiu said:

...so a fan that doesn't WANT to see U2 because of the place is more important than a fan that want but CAN'T be on a U2 concert because of the place?
You should realy make your priorities right...

Thanks...:up:

...good point...

my priority is fine

I want to pay money to SEE U2, as well as hear. And not freeze my ass off doing it.

zoopop said:
I wish they were playing stadiums. ^LOL^ bono_man2002, thats better than the keychain.

Hi!

Don't remind me........I missed out on a key ring!

carol
wizard2c

:tsk:

RadRacer said:
Bathiu, I'm so down with you! You tell 'em! That's what I'm trying to say. Why do so many people care about the four members of poor old U2 - they're doing what they want to do and how they wanna do it. If they've got a problem, they change plans. You might be more concerned about Chester, the screaming voice of Linkin Park, who may be killing himself for the fans, but even he takes responsibility for his own life. We're the fans, man, and we can damn well tell U2 what we want. If they don't want to play to all of us, anymore - if they've got aches and pains - let them retire, or play to small limited audiences, but they can't call themselves the biggest rock band of the world and shame us like that.
I'm down with you on stadiums; I'll rock with you, man. Only problem is, seems you're situated in Poland, and I'm in Florida. Sadly we don't have more fans like you here in the US.
I think I'll start another pro-stadium thread, soon.

And, cardosino, obviously you're not a real U2 fan if you just turn down a chance to see them if the stadium offends you. You gotta decide where your love is, the arena or U2.

I've been a fan since 1981 and seen them over 50 times in 5 different countries.

You ?

My love is U2, but only in an environment that I can actually enjoy them. When you've been a fan as long as I have, you can come lecture me about it.

Until then, as Larry said.....

I think it's great to see U2 in either venue, as long as you're in a good place.

Stadiums are great because you get to hear the roar of a huge crowd around you, and the open sky. You feel like the whole universe is with you. Naturally if you're in crappy seats, however, I can see where that would make it quite unpleasant.

I have to definitely say that there is an intimacy to arenas as well. I've been lucky enough to never have a crappy seat, if you can call any seat in an arena crappy. Don't ask me how, just dumb luck. But there really was no better feeling than being right in front of the band within hands reach.

For a moment I thought this thread was going to the dogs. Then, I saw this statement by Popmartijn - "Which proves that the American audience must be really lame" - and I thought: "SO true. That would be the end of the road."

Vorsprung, I think, makes the best point ever on this thread, you should go back and read it.

Cardosino took me on personally, and his ass is going down in flames.
Listen, there are plenty of people who would "freeze their ass off" to see U2 and you're NOT one of them, face it! Just because you've been a "fan" since 1981 - prick, I wasn't even born, then. You wanna call yourself hardcore - that just makes you old.

RadRacer said:
Listen, there are plenty of people who would "freeze their ass off" to see U2 and you're NOT one of them, face it! Just because you've been a "fan" since 1981 - prick, I wasn't even born, then. You wanna call yourself hardcore - that just makes you old.

No one's ass is going down in flames on this board. I think some of you need to be reminded that we have rules here.

Rules

Debating and having differences of opinon is fine, but name calling, constant bickering and personal attacks are not. The mods will not hesitate to close threads like these and the administrators will not hesitate to remove forum access from users that repeatedly break the rules.

cardosino said:

I've been a fan since 1981 and seen them over 50 times in 5 different countries.

...Well, then it's about time you'll start to give more attention to your grandchildren and go with them to Disneyland and leave your tickets to others that actualy need them!
-----------------

by this logic, you all prefering arenas would be OK when U2 did a tour in clubs for 1000 people... make it X100 shows and tickets for 500$... that would beat the Elevation's box office, because I'm sure U2 would find 1mln people wanting to spend that money...
They would beat another record... but so what if only 1mln people saw them?

U2 can have the bigest grossing tour in history with this logic... but so what if so few could see them.

PopMart was very succsesful because 3.9mln people were able to see U2 (no U2girl it didn't last longer than Elevation, 95 PopMart shows vs 113 Elevation shows)

RadRacer said:
For a moment I thought this thread was going to the dogs. Then, I saw this statement by Popmartijn - "Which proves that the American audience must be really lame" - and I thought: "SO true. That would be the end of the road."

Vorsprung, I think, makes the best point ever on this thread, you should go back and read it.

"my ass" is fine thank you for caring.

Looks liek you threw the first punch, swing and a miss.

RadRacer said:

Listen, there are plenty of people who would "freeze their ass off" to see U2 and you're NOT one of them,

Try Aberdeen Scotland in February and get back to me ! LOL!!!!

RadRacer said:

face it! Just because you've been a "fan" since 1981 - prick, I wasn't even born, then.

That explains your maturity level I guess.

RadRacer said:

You wanna call yourself hardcore - that just makes you old.

older, and wiser

And no, I don't want to call myself "hardcore", I was just pointing out that you are in no position to lecture ANYONE on their "fandom" just by whether or not they'd be willing to stand in a field and watch U2 from half a mile away in the freezing cold an dpay $150 for the privelege.

Sheesh........

bathiu said:

...Well, then it's about time you'll start to give more attention to your grandchildren and go with them to Disneyland and leave your tickets to others that actualy need them!

Why ? I'd just be accused by some moron in Florida of not being a true fan.

Are we now choosing to discriminate against the elderly in Poland ? Well, maybe with the life expectancy there being so low I can see why you'd think 43 was old.

bathiu said:

by this logic, you all prefering arenas would be OK when U2 did a tour in clubs for 1000 people...

Focus young man, focus. The argument was "stadia vs. arenas", clubs had nothing to do with it.

bathiu said:

PopMart was very succsesful because 3.9mln people were able to see U2 (no U2girl it didn't last longer than Elevation, 95 PopMart shows vs 113 Elevation shows)

Popmart was a financial flop the band doesn't want to repeat. Their criteria, not mine.

Maybe if they could more than half fill a Florida stadium it might have been more successful.

We know how many "fans" they have down there.

Popmart (for me) = 6 shows, and after the first one I never spent more than $10 outside. And had my pick of seats!

That's about the only good thing I'll say about stadium shows. Looking forward to this round of arena shows!

cardosino said:
Are we now choosing to discriminate against the elderly in Poland ? Well, maybe with the life expectancy there being so low I can see why you'd think 43 was old.
Well, now that's worth of a republican babling... changing a personal discusion to a national problem...:rolleyes:
Thank you, we're fine here in Poland, why? you feel like attacking another country after Iraq?
Just remember that unlike the Iraqis we have some WMD, a few nukes here and there in the woods... from Soviet Union.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And now seriously:
1) where are the mods?
2) don't say anything about maturity... with posts like that!:tsk:
Older->wiser?:lmao: You just proved it.

cardosino said:
Popmart was a financial flop the band doesn't want to repeat. Their criteria, not mine.
OK... the next time someone will want to make a "flop" and gain (read below)mln$ from doing something... tell them about me, I'll be happy to make such "flop".
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
http://www.u2world.com/news/article.php3?id_article=306

Last edited:
First of all, "your ass is going down in flames" was an expression. I'm a real colorful talker, much like U2, being Irish. Last time I checked, Bono was a fan of throwing about colorful expletives. Now, I'm not even trying to get up to his level. Oh, I did leave that word "prick" in there. My bad. I guess it qualifies as a more severe insult in some people's book. Well, so would "moron", but I don't take offense.
When you said "older and wiser" and you tag the word "immaturity" onto my statement of youth, it reminds me of a certain old man I know who thinks he's sooo smart, who thinks he's seen so much in his life, but whenever we meet he just uses me as ears that he can dump his stories on, because the fact is he never achieved anything. Now, I'm not saying you're as low as that man. First of all, you know how to use forums. I'm just saying that age does not equal wisdom and the way you use wit to strike off my comments as opposed to dealing with the issue of "fandom" just reminds me of him. Oh, and by the way, that man is a genuine prick.
I didn't think it was nice of you to hit on Poland, but I'm just letting you know that I'm going to skip your insults, next time, completely.

Fandom, I think, has to do with being in a place where you can at least hear the music of U2 and have it come into your heart and warm you from the inside. By the way, I'm not really from Florida, so I know really harsh, cold weather. Or, think about the Russians - I don't think it bothers them.

It's no secret that Pop scared off some "fans". All That You Can't Leave Behind brought those back. Would Elevation have filled stadia? Yes, with or without fans like you. If U2 had done the market research, they wouldn't have the problems of overbooking one tour and underbooking the next. Let's take the dissing of stadia on grounds of Pop's failure out of the picture. I like Pop, you didn't; it has nothing to do with the stadium. I'd say U2 are at the pinnacle of their career, right now. This should be their biggest tour. It is a shame they aren't stepping up to the challenge. It looks like you will have your way. But if they did play stadia, you should not complain too much, since you're such a great U2 fan, and you've been with them for so long. You'll see them until they inevitably slow down, one or two tours down the road, and become like David Bowie, go into those Van Morrison days. But, right now, you should let as many people as possible, young and old, get in on the fun of seeing a big U2 tour, and not being shut out like on Elevation. Later on, U2 will play arenas, perhaps even clubs. You won't have a problem with Bono just because he'll have only half a head of hair, left, will you? Then again, if U2 would do like the Stones, playing smaller venues when they feel like it, but not neglecting to rock the stadia of the world, on the same tour, we wouldn't even have this discussion. There's no denying that smaller venues with a band this big are an imbalanced equation. If you have the money, it should be no problem to see them on those "intimate" dates, but I'm guessing you have the money anyway, since you're a supporter of arena tours at a time like this. Scalpers would have a harder time making money if there were more tickets to go around.

LOL!
Right on the point, Bathiu! Our Republicans here twist the truth all the time, leading people by the nose. Cardosino, you should listen to him. Last time America disregarded the opinions of the world, they hugely embarrassed themselves.
Cardosino, don't stereotype on the grounds of nationality. I hope you don't think I stereotype the elderly, because I honestly don't. ... Get it? 43. Elderly. LOL! I'm just kidding! I've got tremendous respect for those with more experience and wisdom. And you're not elderly; just an elder to me. But don't hit Bathiu on the subject of his nationality. Poles get stereotyped enough, but take it from someone who knows a lot of them when I say: Poles are REALLY COOL! So are Russians.
LOL! Now Bathiu don't incriminate yourself with talk of those WMDs in the forests of Poland everyone knows about. Someone may come by and take that as a threat. Hope the forum administrators don't, because we all drop lines like that, at times. It wouldn't be a nice world if we got thrown into prison just for that.

Bathiu, you're really on fire! :)
Not just that you post while I'm writing my reply for the day, you just won't allow the fools to stay foolish. Well, now that all that talk about Pop "flopping" should be over, people. Right?

H said:
Just be glad you are seeing them in Arenas and not the Stadiums that we are here in Europe, where even the best seats will be about 3 miles away.

Too right.

Being a bit clueless about UK stadiums, I didn't realise how ENORMOUS Twickenham is when I got my tickets. Saw it on TV the other day and nearly fell off my chair in amazement.

Not complaining though - at least I'm going to see them!

bono_man2002 said:
You should get free u2.com member binoculars with your membership.
:lmao::laugh:

Last edited:
beli said:
At least people with nosebleed arena seats, or 3 miles from the stage stadium seats are going to actually be at a U2 concert.

signed

The Southern Hemisphere

Exactly. Well said Beli. I'm not going to open the can of worms about whining , selfish, greedy, ungrateful little.... hang on, I'm opening it, aren't I?

*throws can of worms as far away as possible*

Okay, that's better. Next?

Re: reply

wizard2c said:

Hi!

Don't remind me........I missed out on a key ring!

carol
wizard2c

:tsk:

you can have mine, carol - it's shit. :lol: ;)
RadRacer said:

Have you considered learning some manners? The whole point of a forum is to discuss - not call each other names like silly little brats in the playground.

Just a thought, involving common sense and a bit of decency.

Last edited:
Popmart, as we know, had U2 facing attendance problems. Not good for such a famous band, especially considering they're well known for their live shows.

Elevation lasted from 24 March - 2 December 2001
Popmart lasted from 25 April 1997 - 21 March 1998

Last edited:
bathiu said:

Well, now that's worth of a republican babling... changing a personal discusion to a national problem...:rolleyes:
Thank you, we're fine here in Poland, why? you feel like attacking another country after Iraq?
Just remember that unlike the Iraqis we have some WMD, a few nukes here and there in the woods... from Soviet Union.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And now seriously:
1) where are the mods?
2) don't say anything about maturity... with posts like that!:tsk:
Older->wiser?:lmao: You just proved it.

Right here, thanks, we do occasionally sleep or leave the computer. ;)

In the future if you're going to say a post is offensive to a country, try not to follow it up with a rude post that's also offensive to a country. Just report it and let us deal with it please.

I think we've had enough flaming and bickering in this thread. It's too bad Sicy's first warning in this thread wasn't heeded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom