MERGED-->willie's gone + Where's Willie going???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridonohue

War Child
willie's gone

willie's latest tour diary says he has left the tour. isn't really clear if it was planned in advance (since he never mentioned it before) or sudden, but he is gone. also doesn't make clear if he will be joining up for future legs. anyone know anything about it?

sucks since his diary is the only portion of the paid site i use.

He's just off for the remaining Europe dates, it says this on u2.com:

Willie Signs Off
Willie Williams final tour diary entries of the summer have just gone live.

There are just nine remaining shows on the summer leg of Vertigo 05 and Willie, who has been documenting the tour for U2.Com since March, is now on a well-earned break.

Willie will be back on the road at the start of the third leg in Toronto in September.

Check out his entries covering the two nights of the DVD shoot in Milan - including the drama of a power-cut during the first show!

wow, i'm shocked.

edited to say: Forget it. Not so shocked. It seems to just be a little vacation.

Last edited:
Pop Artist said:
He's just off for the remaining Europe dates, it says this on u2.com:

Willie Signs Off
Willie Williams final tour diary entries of the summer have just gone live.

There are just nine remaining shows on the summer leg of Vertigo 05 and Willie, who has been documenting the tour for U2.Com since March, is now on a well-earned break.

Willie will be back on the road at the start of the third leg in Toronto in September.

Check out his entries covering the two nights of the DVD shoot in Milan - including the drama of a power-cut during the first show!

Thanks, the thread title scared me for a bit :yikes:.

Where's Willie going???

Just been catching up on my fix of U2.com and I read that Mr Williams, stage master supreme, is calling time for a little while. Anyone know the reasons behind this? Sure he didn't do this on the last tour.

Answers on a postcard please people!

possibly just a little downtime for him, as it says he will be back from the 3rd leg

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly doubt he is taking down time - as I asked (suggested) before I would bet all my marbles that he and Mark Fisher are taking time to design the Rolling Stones shows.

They were both on the last tour - and now as the U2 show is a well-oiled machine, I bet they had the agreement that after the tour was at this point in time, they could jump ship for a number of weeks to design and program the Stones show.

I was actually waiting for this announcement as the Stones and U2 basically share a lot of the same design team, except the stones have a different lighting designer than U2. U2 has Bruce Ramus and the Stones have Patrick Woodroffe (2 of the best in their field.) But, they both use Mark Fisher - U2 employs him as their "stage architect" and the Stones employ him as their "stagte designer" (Williams' role for U2.) Williams was the video guy for the Stones on their last tour - and I am sure he has signed on again for this one.

Which raises the question - I wonder how the two tours will be different and the same as each other...

(In my opinon the Stones last tour was a much better designed show than Vertigo.)

...I just checked Willie's diary.. an other striking fact: no entries in his diary in the week of the Amsterdam shows....
... I also place my bets on Willie Williams being involved in the Rolling Stones tour...

god, i'm glad he's not gone for good. as one of you said, he's the only part of u2.com i read!

Not unusual. Willie left the Elevation tour before the third leg. Sounds like he is just taking a vacation this time.

Blue Room said:
Not unusual. Willie left the Elevation tour before the third leg. Sounds like he is just taking a vacation this time.

that was a shame. the third leg was great and i am sure they would have been some of his best diaries.

in the past they were free, but now since we pay for them, anyone think u2.com will get someone to fill in?

ouizy said:
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly doubt he is taking down time - as I asked (suggested) before I would bet all my marbles that he and Mark Fisher are taking time to design the Rolling Stones shows.

They were both on the last tour - and now as the U2 show is a well-oiled machine, I bet they had the agreement that after the tour was at this point in time, they could jump ship for a number of weeks to design and program the Stones show.

I was actually waiting for this announcement as the Stones and U2 basically share a lot of the same design team, except the stones have a different lighting designer than U2. U2 has Bruce Ramus and the Stones have Patrick Woodroffe (2 of the best in their field.) But, they both use Mark Fisher - U2 employs him as their "stage architect" and the Stones employ him as their "stagte designer" (Williams' role for U2.) Williams was the video guy for the Stones on their last tour - and I am sure he has signed on again for this one.

Which raises the question - I wonder how the two tours will be different and the same as each other...

(In my opinon the Stones last tour was a much better designed show than Vertigo.)
I can only judge the stadium design's as I've seen them both live... And yes, the Fourty Licks stage was better than the Vertigo stage... However, the stage layout is always the same with the Rolling Stones... It wasn't fresh the way Vertigo is! Fourty Licks was larger, had far more lights and moving screens... Still Vertigo felt better...

Back
Top Bottom