MERGED-->Will Live 8 in North America? + Live 8 time?? +Australia's Live 8 "Broadcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, we need to get this answered for those of us in the US.. i figure i'll watch the webcast of the show.

Yay!

I just want to mention that not ONLY is July 2 the date of Live 8, but it's also my birthday. And that rocks.

I wish I were in London! Ho-hum.

Gotta set my VCR!

-Christine

It really hurts to say this but...... Although I would REALLY like to see 3 hours straight of U2, *deep breath* not everyone would. And this event is supposed to raise money for a very worthy cause, and more people are gonna donate more if they see their favourite band there, so the more bands they can squeeze in, the better because then you'll get all the fans of all the bands phoning in (or whatever they're meant to do) and donating their cash.
And even if it means squeezing U2 into 15 lousy minutes, it will be worth it for the cause.

Did that make sense? Oh well, it did to me anyways.....

:wink:

matt_tx00 said:
MTV.com lists "Live 8's The Long Walk To Justice" Saturday from Noon to 8PM ET.

VH1.com lists "Live 8" from Noon to 8PM ET.

MTV2 will not be broadcasting the concerts.

If they start airing at Noon ET that basically means they will start the broadcast about halfway through the London show. Then will probably get cut off sometime before the Philly show ends. The two shows together will be like 14 hours long somehow compressed into 8 hours on U.S. TV I guess.

So looks like we're going to get a "highlights" type of broadcast in the U.S. rather then the entire London concert. Really would like to see the WHOLE THING on some channel.

yeah, you pay all this money for cable and cable channels, and you still get shit. We should be able to watch the whole thing if we choose, doncha think? I should be able to watch all of London or wherever... Damn, I pay enough monthly!:madspit:

In Holland it will be shown on MTV and without commercials on NED3...

Also on radio 3FM...

Neilz said:
In Holland it will be shown on MTV and without commercials on NED3...

Also on radio 3FM...

it was 20 years ago today...man o man I can't F*** wait!!!

Meghan said:
It really hurts to say this but...... Although I would REALLY like to see 3 hours straight of U2, *deep breath* not everyone would. And this event is supposed to raise money for a very worthy cause, and more people are gonna donate more if they see their favourite band there, so the more bands they can squeeze in, the better because then you'll get all the fans of all the bands phoning in (or whatever they're meant to do) and donating their cash.
And even if it means squeezing U2 into 15 lousy minutes, it will be worth it for the cause.

Did that make sense? Oh well, it did to me anyways.....

:wink:

Live Aid was about charity, Live8 is for political justice. They're not asking for your money...they're asking for YOU.

^ I've heard that statement SO many times now!

matt_tx00 said:
MTV.com lists "Live 8's The Long Walk To Justice" Saturday from Noon to 8PM ET.

VH1.com lists "Live 8" from Noon to 8PM ET.

MTV2 will not be broadcasting the concerts.

If they start airing at Noon ET that basically means they will start the broadcast about halfway through the London show. Then will probably get cut off sometime before the Philly show ends. The two shows together will be like 14 hours long somehow compressed into 8 hours on U.S. TV I guess.

So looks like we're going to get a "highlights" type of broadcast in the U.S. rather then the entire London concert. Really would like to see the WHOLE THING on some channel.

I am confused :scratch:

What is the difference between the VH1 and MTV feeds? I am moving on saturday and the only channel i will have for the day is VH1 - i'll be so f'ing pissed if they don't show U2.

Will VH1 and MTV show the same thing? Can't be, right? :confused:

I, too, couldn't find any schedules online. . .

Actually, both their websites have the Saturday broadcasts listed. You just have to really look for it. Click through about 10 different pages until you get to the 7/2 broadcast schedules. Also Tivo has Noon to 8PM marked for Live 8 broadcasts as well on both channels. Also, ABC has a 2 hour "Live 8" special listed from 8 to 10 PM Saturday evening.

I think its actually going to be the same feed on both channels - the MTV feed. MTV indicated there would be "interviews, hosts", etc, so it doesn't look like they're going to just plop a camera down in front of the show and let us watch the whole thing. I'm just worried a lot of the London show will be cut out on the MTV broadcast.

Last edited:
If you want to listen to the London Broadcast you can from here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ starting at 4:00am Pacific.

3.jpg

4.jpg

live8.jpg

CTV will deliver the most all-inclusive Live 8 coverage possible beginning at 7:00 a.m. ET on July 2. "Greatest Hits" recap to air in prime time after nearly 17 hours of worldwide coverage.

01:00 a.m. -- Tokyo Concert begins (no footage made available until later in the day)

07:00 a.m. -- Live 8 on CTV signs on -- Host Seamus O'Regan welcomes to viewers to an unprecedented day of coverage with live performances from Johannesburg and possible recaps from Tokyo. Throughout the morning, O'Regan will introduce acts performing around the world as each Live 8 concert signs on for broadcast. Jon Dore will report live on location from Park Place in Barrie as the production crew puts the finishing touches on Live 8 preparations and the first concert-goers begin to arrive.

08:00 a.m. -- Tokyo concert ends. Berlin concert begins.

08:30 a.m. -- London concert begins with Paul McCartney and U2 singing "It was 20 years ago today…" in an updated rendition of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

09:00 a.m. -- Host Tanya Kim joins Dore on location in Barrie as the gates open at Park Place for Live 8 Canada.

09:30 a.m. -- Rome concert begins

10:00 a.m. -- Paris concert begins.

10:30 a.m. -- Host Ben Mulroney joins the Live 8 on CTV broadcast team from master control in Toronto.

11:00 a.m. -- Concert hosts Dan Aykroyd and Tom Green take to the stage as Live 8 Canada begins. Exact line-up details are TBA. Tanya Kim is backstage to provide exclusive interviews as each artist finishes their set. Jon Dore reports from the crowd as nine hours of music gets underway. Moscow concert begins. (Footage is TBA)

12 noon - Concert-goers at sites around the world unite in the international "click moment". Philadelphia's concert begins.

12:45 p.m. - Sir Bob Geldof addresses the world.

02:00 p.m. - Johannesburg concert ends

03:00 p.m. -- Moscow and London concerts end.

04:00 p.m. -- Rome concert ends

05:00 p.m. -- Berlin and Paris concerts end

06:00 p.m. -- Philadelphia concert ends

07:30 p.m. -- Live 8 Canada begins grand finale featuring Neil Young.

08:00 p.m. -- Hosted by Ben Mulroney and Tanya Kim, the most memorable moments from Live 8 concerts around the world are presented in The Greatest Hits of Live 8 on CTV. Special guests discuss the impact of the day's events and their favourite acts.

I got 2 VCRs set up for taping and I'm going to sleep early tonight. Hopefully, they use common sense in who they broadcast on TV. Don't not show Pink Floyd in favour of showing Sam Roberts, I love Sam Roberts but original Pink Floyd live for the first time in 20yrs, c'mon.

Enjoy the show and don't forget to sign up and give your voice. This is about something bigger than rock n roll.:applaud:

I believe EST. I have to get up at 4am to start watching the beginning.:huh:

The CTV times are the itinerary for CTV's coverage in Canada , according to it, U2 is opening the London show at 830am EST which is 530 am PST. CTV's has 17 hours straight of coverage. :applaud:

I don't get MTV or VH1 so I don't know what the US broadcasters are doing.:wink:

There is a break of about 30 mins here in the UK from 21.30-22.00 for the news so hopefully this will give me enough time to encode the U2 performance from DVD MPG > VCD MPG > WMV before I start recording again at 22.00.

Then I can put it up on my website :yes:

Failing that it will be up on Sunday morning :)

I should also have a sweet FM recording of the entire thing from my other PC if Radio 1 broadcast all the performances from Hyde Park and Philly :wink:

enajh2 said:
There is a break of about 30 mins here in the UK from 21.30-22.00 for the news so hopefully this will give me enough time to encode the U2 performance from DVD MPG > VCD MPG > WMV before I start recording again at 22.00.

Then I can put it up on my website :yes:

Failing that it will be up on Sunday morning :)

I should also have a sweet FM recording of the entire thing from my other PC if Radio 1 broadcast all the performances from Hyde Park and Philly :wink:

:up:

enajh2, you rock, as always :bow: :hug:

A mod at the Traders Den has said it is okay to torrent Live8 stuff there so I will probably start a lossless audio upload there and then mail a copy to him because my upload speed is frankly pants :sigh:

I'm not sure what U2torrents policy is on torrents containing soon-to-be-official material because an official DVD is in the pipeline and torrenting any Live8 audio or video at Dimeadozen has been confirmed to be a no-no.

We'll have to see what happens when the first recordings appear on U2torrents :|

CTV, huh? Dang, figures that here in Seattle I get CBC. Good for watching the Olympics, bad for Live 8. :wink:

Actually corianderstem, the next Olympics will be broadcast by CTV too, they outbid CBC for it. They have to live up to quite the legacy as CBC's Olympic coverage over the years has been unbelievable.

i've been spending the whole day configuring my PC so i get a hiccup free recording :p

i'm just afraid desynching will occur after 17 hours of recording :) (and 70GB of HD space!!)

i'm actually doing some test recording up to this point because i don't know if i want to hook my pc up to the digital cable and record via s-video which i haven't even done yet, so its experimental and i might get problems and the recording will be ruined.. or i could go the safe route with my TV tuner card, but i can only get standard cable then which is a little fuzzy (especially on the dark spots of a picture)

Last edited:
How Can I Watch Live8 Online?

hey all

where can i watch live8 online?

i know i can on aol but i duno how to do it

an answer asap would be appreciated!

cheers!
quad

i c, well will the bbc be broadcasting it over the web maybe aswell?

and also what time should i go to the aol website? time as in australian eastern standard time....

Back
Top Bottom