MERGED-->Will Live 8 in North America? + Live 8 time?? +Australia's Live 8 "Broadcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
- Geldof’s Hearts Club band to open Live8

Maurice Chittenden and John Follain

SIR Paul McCartney and U2, dressed in Sgt Pepper costumes, are due to open next weekend’s Live 8 concerts singing “It was 20 years ago today” — a reference to the Live Aid concert of 1985.

The lyrics were the opening line of the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band concept album.

McCartney will return to the stage in London’s Hyde Park seven hours later to end the show by leading an ensemble rendition of The Long and Winding Road, a rallying call for people to travel to Edinburgh to put pressure on the G8 summit starting four days later. -

Well it doesn't seem to be a joke anymore. Plus there is other cool news in the Sunday Times article. I won't spoil but Pink Floyd will do 3 songs and you can read about in the article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1669554,00.html

Re: Re: Re: WARNING - POTENTIAL LIVE 8 SPOILER

Lemonfix said:

Twas my thought as well. Are they gonna play the rest of their set dressed in crazy outfits? Crazy outfits made famous by the greatest rock band of all time? You know how much shit they would get if this were true?

Agree. The only thing to say to U2's defense is that this has to be McCartney's idea. I don't think anyone could force him to do this if he didn't like it. If they do turn up in uniforms, I think there's gonna be a break after Sgt. Pepper. I cannot see them perform Streets and Pride etc. in these legendary Beatles outfits. They really shouldn't, anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNING - POTENTIAL LIVE 8 SPOILER

U2Man said:

Agree. The only thing to say to U2's defense is that this has to be McCartney's idea. I don't think anyone could force him to do this if he didn't like it. If they do turn up in uniforms, I think there's gonna be a break after Sgt. Pepper. I cannot see them perform Streets and Pride etc. in these legendary Beatles outfits. They really shouldn't, anyway.

It wouldn't be the first time they've donned them publically so I don't really think they would have problems again. :wink:

Lila64 said:
5:00am in Los Angeles? :no: :no: :no:

say it ain't so... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :no: :(

You're lucky thought if you can make it through the first 4 hours you are set!

With me... starting at 10 pm... after U2/Macca the difficulty of staying awake has just begun.

I'm a night owl, obviously. I never see the light of day until about 10:00am. You have NO idea what 5:00am means. Only if I had a plane to catch perhaps, but... Gee, wondering if cable box will be able to be programmed :hmm: expecting a new one this week. :scratch:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNING - POTENTIAL LIVE 8 SPOILER

timothius said:

It wouldn't be the first time they've donned them publically so I don't really think they would have problems again. :wink:

Hmmm? Where did they wear them?

I did read somewhere that Bono mentioned Paul McCartney was opening the concert, but did not mention U2 would be playing alongside him. He just said they would be coming on after Paul McCartney and would definitely be playing 'Beautiful Day'. I have also read reports that U2 will be playing 'One' but as yet there are no details as to how many songs they will be playing

Aw shucks...I want ol' Macca sing to sing HEYY JUDDEEE....don't be afraid. It doesn't fit with the day, but who cares!

Here in the states MTV and VH1 are broadcasting it live from 12 pm ET (9 am PT)... which is late afternoon in London. That means we'll probably miss U2 if they're up first and just have to settle for some recorded highlights. :(

Do you think MTV and VH1 will have different coverage from each other? I mean what if you're watching VH1 and they show them on MTV:der: Surely no. All the stations must be coinciding with each other and broadcasting the same footage right:scratch:

Last edited:
oh i have a question...in the US (well Los Angeles for me), will they televise London or Philly? I'm not really sure how they're doing this, I'm jsut armed with my 1 VCR and ONE band

Paul and U2 should sing
"It was 20 years ago today,
that Sir Gedolf told the bands to play..."

U2 on Live8

What is the date of Live8? I live in Australia and they are showing 2 1/2 hours of the concert...I hope they show U2. Apparently Bono is doing a version of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band with Paul McCarteney...I read it somewhere but I think I'm wrong.

Anyway.

Supposedly U2 are playing for 15 minutes and I want to see it all. Does anyone know when U2 are playing, in Australian Eastern Standard Time? Could watch the concert on the web somehow?

If Paul and U2 do perform together it's a little strange because Paul has his regular band there with him, who know how to play this song very well. Since Paul is also ending the show, he and his regular band could dress in the uniforms and then dress in other clothing for their later appearance.

If he does it the song with U2, it does make it more unique and in line with most of these charity type gigs where acts on the bill collaborate together at times. The thing is, would Paul really want to risk playing this song with a potentially under-rehearsed U2 as opposed to knowing his own band could pull the song off flawlessly? And, as people have pointed out, would U2 dress in these outfits when they supposedly will play their own set right after Sgt. Pepper's is played.

You know the band, at least Bono and The Edge, would love to play with Paul. Bono has publicly stated that his favorite band of all time is The Beatles and that their "White Album" is the blue print for U2. He's also been singing lyrics from Paul's song Blackbird on this tour at the end of Beautiful Day. The Edge was seen at Paul's Dublin concert in May 2003, so he is enough of a fan as well.

AngelofHarlem01 said:
Do you think MTV and VH1 will have different coverage from each other? I mean what if you're watching VH1 and they show them on MTV:der: Surely no. All the stations must be coinciding with each other and broadcasting the same footage right:scratch:

i'm pretty sure depending on the country you'll get different coverage-- now i'm not sure what happens if you have 2 stations in the same country showing it...

I don't think anyone is getting anything more than 15 mintues. I don't think U2 should be treated any differently. This concert isn't about them. It's about Africa.

smurf_sista said:
channel 9 is showing it..... but on sunday around like 8.30

i'm holding a live 8 party on sat night!!! coz i have fox!!

I hate to invite myself over but...:lol:

XHendrix24 said:
Fifteen minutes?

THEY GIVE THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD A MERE 15 MINUTES?!?!?!??!

...I'm okay. Really.

They have to fit in a HUGE amount of bands. I think 15 minutes is actually very reasonable.

The channel 9 version only goes from 8:30 till 10:45 I think...:(:(...meaning we are going to cee very little of U2...:sad:...I don't think I can take it!!!!:scream:

Will it be on the web anywhere?

Bono's shades said:
I don't think anyone is getting anything more than 15 mintues. I don't think U2 should be treated any differently. This concert isn't about them. It's about Africa.
Yeah, and which performer has done more work on behalf of aid to Africa than Bono? That alone should get U2 more stage time. I mean, jeez, Bono could just speak about Africa for fifteen minutes and it would be better than half of the performances that will be put on.

MTV.com lists "Live 8's The Long Walk To Justice" Saturday from Noon to 8PM ET.

VH1.com lists "Live 8" from Noon to 8PM ET.

MTV2 will not be broadcasting the concerts.

If they start airing at Noon ET that basically means they will start the broadcast about halfway through the London show. Then will probably get cut off sometime before the Philly show ends. The two shows together will be like 14 hours long somehow compressed into 8 hours on U.S. TV I guess.

So looks like we're going to get a "highlights" type of broadcast in the U.S. rather then the entire London concert. Really would like to see the WHOLE THING on some channel.

Back
Top Bottom