MERGED --> Why does he dedicate Running to Stand Still to Soldiers? + the brave men..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techie2000

Refugee
Why does he dedicate Running to Stand Still to Soldiers?

I thought it was a song about a girl who is battling a heroin addiction, and it just doesn't make sense as to why he would dedicate a song about drug addiction to the soldiers?

Why was BTBS turned into an anti-gun song on the Elevation Tour? who knows, I don't like them changing the message of song like that just to fit the times we live in now. It takes away from the song.

I think it’s a song about someone in crappy situation they have no control over, that they can’t get them selves out of. Spinning their wheels, running to stand still. I was confused when I first heard him say it, its my best guess.

And then there's also the Human Rights Declaration at the end of the song, which is also eerily appropriate nowadays.

Don't forget the tribute he did on ZOO TV for his bodyguard, who was a soldier. The whole BTBS into RTSS with the B-stage and the flares and everything was symbolic. I believe you can read the whole story in the U2 book At the End of the World.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

this sounds like the most logical explaination (for the song dedication)

well...that was just a joke.

Anyway, this may be off topic, but about the Human Rights thing, do you guys think it's the "Sarajevo Link" of the Vertigo tour?

Opening night Bono admitted that the crowd might not have recovered from it. What daya think? I think they should get rid of it, especially if it leads into "Zoo Station?" :huh:

Re: Why does he dedicate Running to Stand Still to Soldiers?

Techie2000 said:
I thought it was a song about a girl who is battling a heroin addiction, and it just doesn't make sense as to why he would dedicate a song about drug addiction to the soldiers?

"Runing to stand still" is an old expression that refers to a situation that you cannot escape from no matter how hard you try - the title isn't Bono's own.

So it can be applied to the current military situation most of your guys find themselves in in Iraq.

How many body bags for how many barrells of oil?

Wake up Americans!

Don't get me wrong, my country's political standpoint on Iraq is just as corrupt.

Groucho Marx said:
Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Re: Why does he dedicate Running to Stand Still to Soldiers?

Techie2000 said:

Sounds like clever Bono being opportunistic :yawn: Bono can say anything and make it sound cool, and make everyone go "Yeah", and then everyone goes and wolfs down burgers after the show

Recent Bono is ambigous and contradictory on the question of war, and it's true that he likes to bend songs to fit different contexts, but . . .
I must confess I found the dedication a bit troubling and confusing yet intentionally ironic. However, most people at these shows might miss the intended irony, thus making it even stranger.
My best guess is that Bono is trying to make a "support the troops but not the war" kind of statement since he's been on record against the Iraq war but in 'critical support' of *some* US/British interventions.
Bottom line for me is that show is already strong enough; perhaps he could leave that out.

Re: Re: Why does he dedicate Running to Stand Still to Soldiers?

I wondered if he dedicated it with the sense that the soldiers are stuck somewhere they don't want to be, but they have no control over it.

Frankly, if that's the case, and if I were a soldier, I'd be offended. I don't need some rock star saying he feels sorry for me when he doesn't know what I think of what I'm doing...remember that soldiers vote overwhelmingly Republican, and while most of them might not having to risk their lives, they believe in it.

Maybe Bono ought to dedicate that song to the people all over this country who are hooked on drugs...it's still a huge problem, even though it isn't a political cause du jour.

u2_england said:

Wake up Americans!

:laugh:

Yeah, cos we are now getting SO MUCH OIL from that war! Oh...wait...the OPEC cartel has raised prices, and the supply has been reduced...

Yeah, plenty of reasons to oppose the war...this ain't one of them.

I think you may be right, Knox. Just from more thoughts flying:
I was a little offended because my views are more consistent with the white flag Bono of old. But I think it is even more offensive to the more than likely pro-war soldier to hear "your job is more of an addiction that you are stuck in; here i am a rich guy praying you get out of it."
If a person of privilege is going to be pro-war, s/he should not patronize the often working class people doing the killing and dying.

Agree! I bet there are still people that haven't a clue why their gasoline price is going up, and up, and would probably still defend the Chaney/Bush oil cartel. Uh, Iraq has oil, funny it is costing us almost $3 a gal. isn't it? Wonder why.

the brave men and women of the us army

and the cowardly men and women of the u.s. government?

I assume that "we" are talking about Bono's ridiculous dedication of "Running to Stand Still" to members of the US Army from what I think was the first Anaheim show. Or something like that. It was a couple of nights ago, I know that much.

I also know that I laughed myself stupid upon hearing it--the trepidation in Bono's voice was pretty obvious, and it was equally obvious that when the song started, he didn't sound like he knew what the hell he wanted to say. Maybe it was all planned out and all that jazz, but it sounded laughably stupid on my end of things.

Nothing like dedicating a song about heroin to our "brave troops," right? Jesus...so fucking stupid.

Bono dedicated Running to Stand Still to the "men and women of the U.S. military". Considering the song's title I don't know if he was trying to make a political critique, or comparing the plight of the soldier in Iraq to a heroin addict.

Either way, it was a bizarre dedication, especially coming right after Bullet the Blue Sky.

laz

you guys have had the cheapest gas for years!
now feel what it's like for us to fill our cars!
maybe you'll stop destroying your country with polluion and highways.
i love u2 since 1985. bono is an infectious songwriter and performer. but he talks shit. fullstop
and the way he always plays to the american audience is, frankly sometimes sad.

If you shout... said:
I assume that "we" are talking about Bono's ridiculous dedication of "Running to Stand Still" to members of the US Army from what I think was the first Anaheim show. Or something like that. It was a couple of nights ago, I know that much.

Nothing like dedicating a song about heroin to our "brave troops," right? Jesus...so fucking stupid.

Except he also did it in SD, and again at SJ 1, and I don't know how many more shows.

We all know his heart is in the right place, which is why we somehow forgive him when his mouth is all over the place.

It seems he won over not many with this one, even as it's apparent U2 fans are as split up on this topic (the war, not B's dedication) as the rest of the world and America.

love, Anu

I don't see the relevance of Running to Stand Still to the US troops, if he wants to dedicate a song to them I fail to understand why he would pick this one.

Anu said:

Except he also did it in SD, and again at SJ 1, and I don't know how many more shows.

We all know his heart is in the right place, which is why we somehow forgive him when his mouth is all over the place.

It seems he won over not many with this one, even as it's apparent U2 fans are as split up on this topic (the war, not B's dedication) as the rest of the world and America.

love, Anu

He did it at LA 2 as well.

Now I'm really interested to know what the hell he meant..... :eyebrow: I guess I don't know THAT many soldiers, but the ones I do know who've served/are serving/plan to serve in Iraq likely would've been confused if not offended.

I think Bono actually explained the point he intended to make in the LA Times concert review (Apr. 4):

In one especially thoughtful sequence, U2 turned to a series of older songs, including "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Running to Stand Still," to explore issues on a worldwide agenda. At one point, Bono dramatized the issue of terrorism by pulling a headband over his eyes and falling to his knees; a chilling reminder of horrifying scenes on video from Iraq. During this sequence, the United Nations' Declaration of Human Rights was spelled out on a screen above the stage.

"What I hope people see is that many of these issues are interrelated," he said. "You can't fight the war against terror without fighting the war against poverty, because people you need to reach won't trust you."

That last sentence, I think, is where the 'running to stand still' image comes in. The phrase means to strive fruitlessly, to struggle valiantly but to no avail--which, Bono seems to be suggesting, is all the occupation of Iraq can ultimately hope to achieve, unless the conditions that made Iraq fertile ground for anti-Westernism and Islamic extremism to begin with are addressed. And they can't be adressed by warfare.

Of course, whether or not you agree with Bono about the connections between poverty and terrorism is another matter. (Though to be fair to Bono here, it seems obvious from the context that he's using 'poverty' as a shorthand for a wide array of assaults on human dignity--torture, authoritarianism, etc., in addition to material deprivation.)

IMO, he probably should have 'updated' the lyrics a bit to reflect the new way he's using the song live. It wouldn't have compromised his message, and might have reduced the chances of unintentionally offending those he meant to salute.

knox said:
...remember that soldiers vote overwhelmingly Republican, and while most of them might not having to risk their lives, they believe in it.

Actually, no one knows how active-duty soldiers vote--exit polls of the military are illegal, and have been since WWII. Even the Department of Defense isn't allowed to track how soldiers vote. (Alhough they will confirm that soldier voter turnout is 'only slightly higher' than that of their age cohorts back home, which is a pathetic 10%.)

Generally, when you hear about 'the military vote' that really just means the veterans' vote. Sometimes polling companies will survey Army Times subscribers, etc. and ask how they plan to vote, but since participation usually requires an active email account, the number of active-duty respondents is small and consists mostly of officers.

You're right that today's veterans do tend to vote Republican, although not 'overwhelmingly.' In 2004 the breakdown was 57% Bush, 41% Kerry--a decisive margin, but far from a landslide.

More importantly, though, just because someone voted Republican does NOT prove they 'believe in' the war. Nor does voting Democrat prove they don't.

Speaking on behalf of a retired US soilder who served in the gulf war, who happens to be my husband, he said he wasn't offended at all. He has heard the song many times and said that in his opinion anyone bring about awareness to the problems of war and showing support for our men and women serving overseas is a good thing.

Its so easy for people to forget about the people that we don't see or hear from, but that are still off in foreign places serving time for our country. Years ago they took away my husband as a healthy young sweet man and they returned him as a sad, sick, shell of an old man. I have never supported any war, but till the day I die I will support the men and women who give up part of their soul so that others may one day live in freedom.

Sorry if I sound bitchy, but this stuff just really gets to me. I hope one day that this won't even be an issue anymore.

I don't think Bono knows everything and like all of us is human. He may not always say the right thing or do the right thing, but I'm thankful at least he is speaking out. When you are so famous and have the chance to speak out like he does and bring about awareness, I think its great that he takes the chance to use it.

yolland said:

That last sentence, I think, is where the 'running to stand still' image comes in. The phrase means to strive fruitlessly, to struggle valiantly but to no avail--which, Bono seems to be suggesting, is all the occupation of Iraq can ultimately hope to achieve, unless the conditions that made Iraq fertile ground for anti-Westernism and Islamic extremism to begin with are addressed. And they can't be adressed by warfare.

Yeah, what Yolland said!!! Although if Bono changed the words to RTSS all we'd see are more threads bitching about him "forgetting" the lyrics!:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Why does he dedicate Running to Stand Still to Soldiers?

knox said:

Yeah, cos we are now getting SO MUCH OIL from that war! Oh...wait...the OPEC cartel has raised prices, and the supply has been reduced...

Yeah, plenty of reasons to oppose the war...this ain't one of them.

The key is China.

Don't want to get too far into this debate but the war for oil is not about war for oil for America. The US already gets most of its oil from Canada and South America. But China gets most of its oil from the middle east. As you may know, China is an emerging global power with a fast growing economy and it will increasingly compete with America in everything from manufacturing jobs to military power. The US is also heavily in debt to China because the Chinese gov't is a huge creditor (lender/financier etc) of the US gov't. They are, in essence buying American debt, which is already at $7.5 trillion. As you may also know, oil is the lifeblood of industrial economies. Without oil, there is no economy. The US has a 60 day reserve (enough oil stored for 60 days w/out imports). China has less than a 1 day reserve. Gaining control over a significant portion of China's oil supply is a HUGE asset for the American economy and Bush. It's one of the ways America is preparing for competition with the Chinese and it's the ONLY way for America to neutralize the possibility of China calling in it's US debt and bankrupting the US.

Just as almost every political event between 1945 and 1990 can be thought of in terms of the Cold War between the US and USSR, every political economic event that happens in the next 50 years will be able to be thought of in terms of the US, China and maybe India. Bottom line: the war is certainly about oil.

The idea that the war is not about oil simply because oil prices are not lower is a purposely used political tool to conceal motives. Adding the politcal realities of the international energy market to the equation dramatically changes the benefits of the war in Iraq. Lower domestic oil prices are not the only benefit to controlling oil supplies. This war is political as much as economic, but it is about oil.

Jon

I should add that the fact that China is not discussed in the mainstream debate regarding the war is a testament to how well the Bush administration has succeeded in controlling the flow of information and directing public attention. They have people looking everywhere but to CHINA, even those opposed to the war.

It reminds me of some other lyrics:

"U.S.S.R., G.D.R., London, New York, Peking.
It's the puppets, it's the puppets, pull the strings, yeah.
...And they're doing the atomic bomb
Do they know where the dance comes from?
Yes they're doing the atomic bomb
They want you to sing along."

Seconds

What surprises me most is that a stauch war critic, Michael Moore, failed to discuss China in Farenheit 9-11. Of his otherwise accurate film, he failed to link the War to China, a key premise to calling the war for oil exactly what it is. As a result, he was subject to all the opposing arguments about how the US is not benefitting from lower oil prices etc. Even if those opposing arguments are completely "ad hoc", and they are, he still left himself open to a superficial criticism that those already in favour of the war would eagerly gobble up (and to which opponents not looking at China would have no reply).

Jon

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom