MERGED->What is wrong with Vertigo 2005?+Bono's singing. hmmm+Bono, your killing me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think my new favorite worries are the ones that concern $.

"Oooooh, I paid ____$$$ to see them, and now I'm getting nervous because some people are disappointed...."

If you paid less, would you be less nervous? Do people have a pay for performance scale in their heads. If Bono's voice cracks during a song early on, do you think to yourself "I should have paid 10 fewer dollars for this, his voice just cracked....wait, he messed up a lyric!....that's 5 more dollars U2 owes me!!".

Caveat Emptor, people, and if you need a guarantee or warranty for your rock shows, my thought is that you are probably best served if you spend the $ on CD's, or maybe buy a DVD of a film where you know the outcome already.....you can be sure of the quality there and not have to fret so very much about some people's take on this tour, and not worry about unpleasant surprises.

Good points by all on here...I need to take a break from this or something...I've got tickets for the third leg and maybe I'll just chill out until then. Sometimes my posts come off as defensive or angry, and that's not my intent. Sorry. I just want U2 to deliver the goods I know they're capable of delivering.

I think everyone needs to take a break. The reality is that you can have an amazing experience at an average show, or a horrible exprience at the best show of their career, and I think we all shouldn't be so concerned about everyone else's experience. It's crazy that some people are getting 'scared' or nervous about the show they have tickets for based on other people's opinions of the show they saw. Wouldn't it be nice to experience a show fresh without the baggage of everyone else's experience weighing in. Of course I am just as guilty as the next person because I saw the opening show and promptly posted the details of my disappointment. I have since seen several other shows and had a blast.

I love people who attack anyone and everyone who defends U2 on a *gasp* U2 fan forum.
Possibly the best are those that go "I expect more, album and tour". Correction, the band owes you nothing. Also, do not state your opinion as fact.

Ever since this album came out, it feels like this site should be called U2blows.com.
The album sucks, the lyrics suck, the music suck, the production on the album sucks, the ticket sales suck, the setlist sucks, Bono's voice sucks, the stage sucks, the show sucks aka Elevation part II...
Perhaps it's time to find another band if nothing AT ALL is up to your precious standards.

U2girl said:
I love people who attack anyone and everyone who defends U2 on a *gasp* U2 fan forum.
Possibly the best are those that go "I expect more, album and tour". Correction, the band owes you nothing. Also, do not state your opinion as fact.

Ever since this album came out, it feels like this site should be called U2blows.com.
The album sucks, the lyrics suck, the music suck, the production on the album sucks, the ticket sales suck, the setlist sucks, Bono's voice sucks, the stage sucks, the show sucks aka Elevation part II...
Perhaps it's time to find another band if nothing AT ALL is up to your precious standards.
U2girl thank you so much, you have always been one who backs me up when i defend the band, sometimes i feel guilty and wrong that i am even trying to defend them, but i defend them because i know they are giving all they can at this moment in time.be it that the edge might seem down sometimes due to his daughter or whatever, but he is still tearing down the place, an example, when he is playing electric co, and goes mad on the catwalk, i have honestly not seen that look on his face since popmart, U2 are back, they have there confidence back, but i get jumped on for stating my opinions,

I will admit, the opening to streets isn't the same and doesn't give me that special feeling... (i have seen two shows in two different cities so far, chicago and philly) and i miss that opening they had during elevation... but to be fair, we can't expect the show to be the same every time they go on tour. alot has happened in the four years since i saw them last. i never got to see them after 9/11 (i actually passed on a chance in chicago), but have listened to that concert from msg alot... it makes you almost cry just listening to it. the world is different, and they are trying to adapt to that world, they hit a chord with america after 9/11, they were the god sent messengers for us. but now maybe they are on a different mission. i remember feeling chills during the show i went to... not yet on this tour. maybe my expectations are too high. the shows are more than solid, but they are not sublime, and that is what we expect as u2 fans. maybe when they hit msg on saturday night it will come back. (i sure hope so since i will be there) then again, my friend always told me 'expect nothing and you will never be disappointed'.

There are plenty of people on here who write nothing but positive spins about everything. It's not fair to knock the critics who have genuine complaints. We've ben down this road earlier in the thread. I ENJOY hearing ALL the stuff, not just the fawning.

RobH said:
There are plenty of people on here who write nothing but positive spins about everything. It's not fair to knock the critics who have genuine complaints. We've ben down this road earlier in the thread. I ENJOY hearing ALL the stuff, not just the fawning.
works both ways rob, i get jumped on for defending the band

maybe you wouldnt get jumped on so much if you spent more time praising the band rather than criticizing people who say something that isnt 100% positive

Chizip said:
maybe you wouldnt get jumped on so much if you spent more time praising the band rather than criticizing people who say something that isnt 100% positive
oh come on, even you have seen some of my posts regarding the things i am enjoying about the band, and then the next minute getting called a sheep because i am enjoying it

show me one post where anybody has called you a sheep for enjoying the shows

Chizip said:
show me one post where anybody has called you a sheep for enjoying the shows
they are around, not specially at me, but anyone who seems to enjoy whats happening,

KUEFC09U2 said:
oh come on, even you have seen some of my posts regarding the things i am enjoying about the band, and then the next minute getting called a sheep because i am enjoying it

Uh...dude you get jumped on because you attack people that complain.

KUEFC09U2 said:
they are around, not specially at me, but anyone who seems to enjoy whats happening,

i dont see that at all

it may be your interpretation of what some people say, but i think its a flawed interpratation

do you really think people on a u2 fansite would bash somebody for saying they enjoyed a u2 show?

It is unfortunate that there are so many people who claim to be the biggest U2 fans and preach how they have loved them for 25 years yet always trash everything. Nothing satisfies them. I personally think the die-hard fans are the worst. They only think about themselves when they go to shows and feel they are entitled to something. If they played the most obscure setlist they would say they did not play "One" or "Pride." Many people who go to shows go to one maybe two shows. Certain tunes will always be played and if they can't accept that, well maybe they should not go.

Some of the comments are just plain idiotic. To say that U2 does not have energy or does not care about their fans is just crazy. I saw them in Philly and if you walked out and said they were not great, you were not at the show.

no

they bash people who bash people who say things that arent 100% positive

i just think youre confusing defending the band with criticizing other posters

but this will be the last thing i say on this matter

i see no problem with a fan going to a show, coming back, and having the opinion that it wasnt the best u2 show theyve seen, or the band didnt have as much energy as before, or they had preferred they played other songs, or etc...

these are all opinions, everybody has opinions and they are going to be different for everybody

if the vertigo tour isnt their favorite tour, does that make them any less of a fan? i dont think so.

so my advice is not to worry about other peoples opinions, not everybody is going to like the same things. just enjoy what you enjoy and be happy with that.

Got agree with these recent posts...it seems as though some people who enjoy the show feel somewhat PERSONALLY attacked when there are negative posts, as opposed to seeing that the criticism is directed at the band, the song selection, etc.

Bono's Voice: Full of helium?

Do not take this as an attack on our beloved Bono at all. But, the two times I've seen U2 in Concert (Elevation-Columbus, and Vertigo-Chicago), his voice sounds like it's full of helium. My father said the exact same thing. It's really high, sweet, soft, etc. I quite like it as opposed to his voice on records and videos, actually.

Now then, my question is, has anyone else recognized this strange fact? What do you think of his voice? It's just not nearly as deep as his voice that is recorded on audio, DVD or video cassettes. It really does sound like it's full of helium.

Is this Bono's "real" voice, and they dub it over for the major releases, or is there just something wrong with the sound and acoustics at these arenas? Like I said, I don't mind Bono's voice at all, it is actually very sweet and nice. Just curious...

Thanks in advance! :)

They add "brightness" to his vocals, which really is just messing with the EQ's. Everyone does this.

Also, the album versions of many songs, if you pay close attention, have multiple lead vocal tracks... some deep voice Bono, some mid-tone voice Bono, and finally some falsetto/treble accentuated voice Bono. Off the top of my head, Crumbs is an excellent example of this. It appears that Bono just chooses one of the three "voices" that he wants to sing live.

Hope that helps...

there is something strange going on....no F*** way can he hit those notes like he did on bad (4th night chicago) like 10 times or something..he almost sounded like 1987 and that's scary....

I'm happy he sounds great but I kind of worried what he's doing to himself....maybe I'm wrong but being a singer myself, it just doesn't seem normal.....I admire the man deeply and this isn't critisisme just concern

If Bono was on helium, then they'd be doing WOWY -- the ultimate strain song for Bono -- on an almost nightly basis. :drool: However, for Chi4, Bono didn't even attempt the high notes in WOWY. (I've only listened to the bootleg.)

I'd guess, since I heard him sing Bad last night from the ellipse (sorry for the shameless self-plug), that the high notes in Bad are easier for him to hit just as the high notes in the recent songs are. In fact, compare the versions of Bad and WOWY from the Elevation Tour. (Bad sounds damn good every night, WOWY was so so every night.)

Also, Bono has noted quite often in the past year or so that he's got his voice back (Bono feels that the return of his voice was his dad's departing gift). It would appear to be very true on this tour.

MTEdge said:
If Bono was on helium, then they'd be doing WOWY -- the ultimate strain song for Bono -- on an almost nightly basis. :drool: However, for Chi4, Bono didn't even attempt the high notes in WOWY. (I've only listened to the bootleg.)

I'd guess, since I heard him sing Bad last night from the ellipse (sorry for the shameless self-plug), that the high notes in Bad are easier for him to hit just as the high notes in the recent songs are. In fact, compare the versions of Bad and WOWY from the Elevation Tour. (Bad sounds damn good every night, WOWY was so so every night.)

Also, Bono has noted quite often in the past year or so that he's got his voice back (Bono feels that the return of his voice was his dad's departing gift). It would appear to be very true on this tour.
have to agree, listening to the boot of chigago 4, people were saying he sound horse, well if thats what he's like when he's sounding horse then jeesus, that vocal could match most from elevation imo, i mean wowy to me sounds like the Zoo days, and i loved the strangers in the night snippet sounds so haunting when he sing the "it turned out alright, strangers in the night":drool:

I actually did notice this from GA, that his voice sounded very...um, young?
I dont know if thats the right word. But then from the stands he sounded like his scratchier self (which is really sexy :drool: )
Either way he sounded great, I cany believe how he hits the siiing part of sometimes. Blows me away

Re: Bono's singing..... hmmmmm

Zooropa man said:
Ok, Im not bashing or anything on those lines. I've downloaded a couple of shows and ........ I'm having trouble sleeping at night because of the way he is singing some songs. He has the best voice out there bar none. But, is it too much trouble for him to hit the notes and sing them right? I mean, it seems as if the effort is not being made. As if there is no interest in getting the total emotion out of the songs. For example, WOWOY, I know that they have only played it a couple of times and it just dosen't give me the same emotion when I hear the slane, boston and rattle & hum version. Im I the only one that feels that way? I went to two shows and they sound amazing live but it seems that the way he is singing on the old songs is just decent but can do much much better. I just hope that he is not having trouble with his voice. And if that is so, then it justifies everything.:(

Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Back
Top Bottom