MERGED--> Vertigo + An open letter to U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well... my first thoughts is that it's pretty cool they did Vertigo a 2nd time to close the show. Original, for one thing (at least in regular concerts). And it's not like they didn't do something like this before (SNL being a recent example, from what we heard).

"I actually don't think U2 are capable of jumping the shark, but I am starting to worry a little."

There are some people who thought U2 jumped the shark w/ R&H, AB, Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and many other 'incidents' (e.g. Ipod). There have been alot of exit points for U2 fans along the way, including every album since JT. Everyone has an opinion, and when it comes to U2, those opinions tend to be all over the board. I tend to agree that Vertigo 2 was very rock-n-roll. If Neil Diamond plays "Sweet Caroline" twice, so what? It's not like U2 is playing one of their '80s hits just to please the crowd, they played a new song. I just don't see what's so lame about that, esp. when the place is going absolutely nuts. Neil Diamond's shows are never that energized!

An open letter to U2

Dear U2,

I'm a big fan of Vertigo... I'd appreciate it if you could play it multiple times at future shows.

Sincerely,

ZooMacphisto800

I don't know I wasn't at the show,and I'm sure the energy was amazing but if I paid 100 bucks and heard ANY song twice (especially with their catalogue), nevermind an overplayed song like Vertigo, I'd be pissed. you could've saved yourself 90 bucks and saw a coverband f the version up and start again! Personally, I think they rely too much on matching the songs to the video screen and the lights in the first place. Dear U2, your songs are so awesome we'd watch you guys play in front of a blank wall! Do it like Pearl Jam and REALLY switch up the setlist every night. just my opinion!

Re: An open letter to U2

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
Dear U2,

I'm a big fan of Vertigo... I'd appreciate it if you could play it multiple times at future shows.

Sincerely,

ZooMacphisto800

ditto. my first show is 5/24 in boston, and i'd be psyched if they did it!

also, i'll offer a 'sorry' to shawn B...i know you'll probably be at that show as well, and if it makes you feel better i'll buy you a beer after the show. :wink:

I also was at Seattle 2 and the ending was great. As has been stated, the band and crowd went nuts when the second Vertigo started, especially when Bono joked that (paraphrasing here), " 'encore' comes from 'encora,' which in Italian means we're going to play the same fucking song!" In a way it was kind of a privilege to hear it twice because it was clear that the band (Bono in particular, who was running around to consult with the other three) was kind of winging it at the end, doing what they felt best suited the moment and the crowd energy.

I understand why people wouldn't want to hear the same song twice, especially Vertigo, but I guess this was one of those "you had to be there" moments. It worked really well. After Original of the Species, the energy kind of waned a little and it seemed like U2 was just too amped to let it go down further. The guys were REALLY into the show the whole night (I think Adam did the catwalk thing more than anyone else!) and apparently they said to hell with it and went with their guts. It was fun to be there to experience that.

I do want to say that from where I was sitting (opposite the stage about half way up the lower section), the sound was really mushy. Too much bass. I don't think it was a good mix at all. You could barely hear Bono's voice for the first several songs. That was the only bad part of the evening for me.

Alright, I paid $200 for my seat and my friend's seat, I was NOT unsatisfied at all.
Dammit, I wish they played ALL 500 OF THEIR fucking songs...but you can't get what you want...

It was coming close to the end and nobody I was sitting by ever sat down for more than ten seconds. I started to wonder, "Did they play Vertigo?" Oh yeah, they did, but why don't I remember it?
But Bono had something up his sleeve, had a few conferences with his bandmates. Knowing Bono, I knew something was different. They played Vertigo again...everyone fucking loved it.

But, of course, YOU HAD TO BE THERE.

Hemlock said:

I do want to say that from where I was sitting (opposite the stage about half way up the lower section), the sound was really mushy. Too much bass. I don't think it was a good mix at all. You could barely hear Bono's voice for the first several songs. That was the only bad part of the evening for me.

Yep, I noticed that too. I suppose that happened everywhere in the arena. I noticed it especially for Beautiful Day. I don't remember much of Vertigo (1), but the sound seemed to improve by Gloria/Ocean.

(PS. Did you like your seats? I look forward to seeing the show from reserved seats so I can see the audience response better. I bet the cell phone bit for One looked great!)

i browsed all the Fan Reviews at u2tours.com, and just about every single one raves about the 2nd vertigo... i think you just had to be there!

http://www.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20050425

that being said, i don't want this to be a regular occurrence- but as a one-off thing, it definitely seems to have worked... if the crowd went as nuts as people are saying, i HOPE this inspires the band to pull out some other surprises in the future!

:up:

melsbud said:

(PS. Did you like your seats? I look forward to seeing the show from reserved seats so I can see the audience response better. I bet the cell phone bit for One looked great!)

They were pretty good seats. I wouldn't pay $160 for them for any other reason, though.

I've been in GA (April 2001) and I was in section 128 at Seattle 2.
The reserved seats were hell of a lot better. I would pay up to $500 for a seat, but not sure if any of my friends would do the same. :(

Fine, I say, I'll go by myself.

everyone is certainly entitled to opiions but i am still amazed how much 'criticism' comes from people who have not been at show.
Whether its the set list, order, song choice, version, song played twice, intro, whatever, these are decisons made for the benefit of the people at the show, not on a board on a website. I sometime feel folks here think U2 does this stuff just piss them off. They seem personally offended.

Vertigo, twice, think of it what you will but i guarentee:

if they closed with lets say 'i will follow', it would be really cool, and everyone would g home happy.

but...5 years from now people will still talk about when they played vertigo twice.

Back
Top Bottom