MERGED--> U2 playing the Jazzfest next year? + Jazzfest lineup announcement next week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2 playing the Jazzfest next year?

U2tours.com:
Rumors: New Orleans JazzFest
December 23, 2005
Offbeat Magazine reported recently that U2 has agreed to perform at the 2006 JazzFest in New Orleans, which is usually scheduled in late April / early May. The official JazzFest lineup is due to be announced in February. (Thx GC)

It could easily be, they surely would pay a tribute to New Orleans and to all the lately departed artists of the city...................
It's the least the guys can do for it, they'd be sure in first line

My proposed Jazzfest setlist:

Vertigo
Desire
Angel of Harlem
In a little while
I still haven't found what I'm looking for
In God's Country
Running to stand
Stuck in a moment (Conan O'Brien version)
Original of the species
Beautiful Day-->
MLK-->
Where the Streets have no name
One/Old Man River

encore:
Love Rescue me
When love comes to town (with BB King)

Since it's a festival they'll have to probably play a shortened set. And since it's the New Orleans jazzfest, they'll have to play songs of a bluesy/jazzy nature. If this is really going to happen, I think I might consider taking a road trip to New Orleans.

The_acrobat said:
When love comes to town (with BB King)
[/B]

This could be really the right moment to reunite the duet with BB!!!! Man, what a big thing would this be....................after 20 years again with the King on stage.......................

It's about time, it'll only be their 2nd Louisiana appearance (not counting the Superbowl) in 20 years.

Bands that play don't have to play an altered bluesy set and I highly doubt U2 would rehearse a set of "appropriate" songs for one show. They'll be at the very end of Vertigo so it'll look like whatever the sets are at the time, probably what we've seen on the 3rd leg.

Let's say a 90 minute set. Here's my setlist:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Still Haven't Found
Beautiful Day
Sometimes You Can't Make It
Love & Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
------
Angel of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
Bad

U2 has surprisingly played very little to the state of Louisiana. A club show in 1981, a show on a riverboat in 1982, Louisiana State University in 1987, 1/3 full superdome in 1997, and the super bowl in 2002.

The_acrobat said:

Since it's a festival they'll have to probably play a shortened set. And since it's the New Orleans jazzfest, they'll have to play songs of a bluesy/jazzy nature.

Not necessarily. Dave Matthews Band played the festival back in 2001, and they played a full length set without any blues.

Jazzfest isn't necessarily all jazz music but some of the revenue generated from the ticket sales do help fund some of the local acts - I've heard rumors that the organizers where considering releasing the information about the headliners (and it is supposedly very impressive as many musicians want to offer support) to start getting the ticket revenue early to start booking some of the more local bands who have either gone elsewhere to find work (quite a few in St Louis now) or have lost everything.

Even if u2 doesn't show I'm still possibly going - I've been to a couple Jazzfest's in past years and I've really enjoyed myself regardless if I'm at the mainstage or seeing a side act

so now that I've done my Music Rising PSA :reject:

possible announcement in January

nurse chrissi said:
this was in Rolling Stone as well

and yes an 11 hour road trip sounds like a great idea :wink:

I would definitely be up for it by then :yes: :hyper:

I don't know.. I could see Edge going there cuz of the Music Rising Campaign that he is a part of. He would be supporting the local musicians there. I think he could make a appearance if his schedule is open..

soxfan1183 said:

Not necessarily. Dave Matthews Band played the festival back in 2001, and they played a full length set without any blues.

But did they play a full length set without any jazz??

Nola = love
U2 = love
However, U2 does not = jazz imo.

Knowing some of the bands that play at jazzfest, I just can't imagine U2 "fitting" the vibe. :/

apparently Bono and Edge met with the organizers of the Jazz Fest the last week they were in the states - that could mean anything but still its interesting

Jazzfest always has non-jazz bands as headliners from the rock world and includes many varying types of music. Bands I've seen there include DMB, Paul Simon, Doobie Brothers, Sting, Lenny Kravitz, Elvis Costello, Nelly and Mystikal. Obviously the festival is dominated by jazz, but there's rock, rap, gospel (fantastic), country, ragtime, folk, zydeco, world beat, stoner jam bands, etc They would not perform a "jazz set" - the only difference would be an abbreviated set. The headliners typically perform for around an hour and a half.

IT IS TRUE! I'll post a couple of things I pulled from other sites which basically say as much. Supposedly they will be headlining on Weekend #1 of the festival, which is normally 2 Weekends of 3-4 days each. My guess is that means Saturday April 29. Another rumor is that Sir Paul McCartney will be headlining the following weekend.

I'd say if anybody has a remaining doubt, the fact they're just now scheduling shows in Hawaii for early April, means they intend to at least make an appearance in the states before heading back home to Ireland. Geographically speaking, it just seems like a logical travel pattern to me.

I wonder if this will be televised anywhere? I would definately like to see them perform on that stage and I believe they would try and throw in some of their jazzier tunes.. why not? :)

Here is an excerpt of an article from the Dec. 15 issue of Rolling Stone entitled "Edge's Crescent City Mission":

After touring the city, Edge had dinner at Restaurant August - a city landmark that had reopened just days earlier - with New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival organizer Quint Davis and Louisiana Lt. Gov. mitch Landrieu. Davis said JazzFest would return to the Fair Grounds in 2006, and Edge checked his calendar, giving Davis hope that U2 would headline the event.
"Music is going to be a very important tool in regenerating New Orleans," says Edge. "It's not just a form of entertainment here, it's a soundtrack to every single aspect of life."

I think it sounds very probably, given Edge's involvement with Music Rising, and the timing. It would be great to see them play there!

Back
Top Bottom