MERGED--> U2 playing the Jazzfest next year? + Jazzfest lineup announcement next week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugg...now that the line-up is set. I still have to make a decision on what weekend to go. (Never been to Jazz Fest and I have oodles of family in NOLA.)

First weekend: Dave Matthews...eh, Bob Dylan, Elvis, Ani DiFranco.
Second weekend: Fats Domino, Buffett, Doug E. Fresh...hee hee.
Not to mention the awesome array of local talent on both weekends.

And ya never know who may turn up as a special guest...:ohmy:

Wouldn't say it's a "sucky" lineup. Just nothing special. Rather typical JazzFest lineup overall. But Dylan, Buffett, DMB are not slouches. They're just not U2 unfortunately.

Ehhhh....I'll probably still go anyways. Now it's more a question if I want weekend #1 or #2, since I'm not locked into #1 anymore.

FWIW....someone on the JazzFest message boards posted that the initial lineup announcement at NOLA.Com, had listed U2 as one of those appearing.

Either it was a complete mistake by Nola.Com, or perhaps U2 had been scheduled then cancelled...or else they're still yet to be announced. Anyways, I had really expected they were a real possibility given Edge's involvement and statements, but we may never know what really transpired, or if they were even considered.

Not sure which weekend I want to attend now, but there are many good artists both weekends. Just no U2. Bummer.

I think I will wait it out a bit more to see if ANYTHING transpires about Edge or U2 and THEN make my decision. It's just a matter of rounding up some people and hitting the road really, so no biggie. I agree it does seem like a sucky lineup.

This was posted by someone at the JazzFest site.

Here's the initial announcement from Nola.com -- not at all bashing 'em, just letting you know what was there:

Jazzfest announces band lineup The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival announced its talent lineup for the 2006 festival at a press conference today.

Among the big-name headliners are U2, Jimmy Buffet, Lionel Richie, Dave Matthews Band, Paul Simon and Bob Dylan.

According to today's (Thursday's) report at Nola.com, Rolling Stones were never a real possibility and negotiations with U2 never got off the ground. From Keith Spera's story: "As for the superstar bands rumored to be on the festival's wish list, the Rolling Stones were never a serious possibility, Davis said. He did solicit U2 after having dinner with the band's guitarist, The Edge, last fall. But negotiations went no further than a discussion with U2's manager."

I have no idea why that first announcement got in there, but Spera is a good music reporter/critic (seen his reports in Rolling Stone?) so I suspect that he didn't have anything to do with it.

So no word anywhere about Edge making an appearance, either surprise or otherwise at the Jazzfest? I've yet to find anything. I did, however see the article you posted above, CoCal

Back
Top Bottom