MERGED--> U2 playing the Jazzfest next year? + Jazzfest lineup announcement next week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FATS DOMINO ANNOUNCED AS APPEARING.

JAZZFEST ORGANIZER SAYS, "THERE ARE LOTS OF RUMORS OUT THERE. I WANT TO SAY, DO NOT BELIEVE ANY RUMORS YOU HEAR........UNLESS I'M THE ONE TELLING YOU."

A bit disappointing.

I guess they didn't want the hubub about the acts overshadowing the fact that putting JF on this year was a monumental task.

Since they didn't announce it today, and also keeping in mind that the organizer made a statement about rumors, and whether they can be relied upon.....there is someone over on the main JazzFest site message boards, who supposedly has a connection in the JazzFest committee that has proven reliable in the past.

He says that in addition to Paul McCartney on weekend #2, Ringo will also be appearing. I guess I'm not certain, but have they performed together since the breakup?

Concert For George DVD
Anthology 1994 footage with George all playing.
Prince's Trust concert(?)
Ringo guested at a Wings era show(?)
Ringo and Paul have shared many recordings.

I guess I'll wait before purchasing tickets then! I live in Louisiana, only two hours from the festival grounds, but it would be difficult to go with school. I would be willing to pay that price for U2 though. :wink:

I've never been to a Jazz Fest (oddly enough) but for anyone who has... if you want a good view of the band, would you have to stake out at the main stage all day? From what I've heard it's more relaxed & free flowing. It would seem too good to be true to just walk on up an hour or so before U2 is set to play though.

Achtung_Bebe said:
I've never been to a Jazz Fest (oddly enough) but for anyone who has... if you want a good view of the band, would you have to stake out at the main stage all day? From what I've heard it's more relaxed & free flowing. It would seem too good to be true to just walk on up an hour or so before U2 is set to play though.

Yep....the main stage is usually located in a large field. People will stake out their spots from early in the day, so you'll need to get there in the morning if you want to be closer to the stage. It's possible to trade off with people to watch your spot, and leave a blanket/towel, but once the area near the stage gets taken, it's pretty much impossible to sneak your way in at the last minute.

Also, since bands will be performing on the main stage all day long, it's not as if you won't have music to listen to while waiting for U2, who would be the last group on, somewhere around 5:00. JazzFest is usually over by 7:00, before it gets too dark.

U2FanPeter said:
<<haven't played together in 35 years>>

Assuming that rumor is accurate, the only guys still around from 1961 that I can think of are Fats Domino and Chuck Berry.

They weren't partners, though, so maybe Fats will bring back one of his old mates from that great touring band he had back then.

Then again, Fats is 78 years old and has been in seclusion for the last couple of decades, who knows how healthy he is.

Seeing Fats and Chuck together, the two real Kings of R 'n R, would be worth it by itself...

... having Edge and Keith and Paul up there during the jam session finale would be epic.

Mary Wilson despises Diana Ross.

Dean Martin is dead, Jerry is ill.

Maybe it's Phil and Ronnie Spector.... maybe Phil can get a day pass

SoCalMusicLover said:

Yep....the main stage is usually located in a large field. People will stake out their spots from early in the day, so you'll need to get there in the morning if you want to be closer to the stage. It's possible to trade off with people to watch your spot, and leave a blanket/towel, but once the area near the stage gets taken, it's pretty much impossible to sneak your way in at the last minute.

Also, since bands will be performing on the main stage all day long, it's not as if you won't have music to listen to while waiting for U2, who would be the last group on, somewhere around 5:00. JazzFest is usually over by 7:00, before it gets too dark.

Thanks for the info :up:

I plan on making this a full day event!

Rumor is that the lineup will be announced early next week, possibly on Monday. They had stated that it would be prior to Mardi Gras, which begins next weekend, so it will certainly be announced in the next 7 days.

SoCalMusicLover said:
Rumor is that the lineup will be announced early next week, possibly on Monday. They had stated that it would be prior to Mardi Gras, which begins next weekend, so it will certainly be announced in the next 7 days.

The weekend before Mardi Gras(Feb 28th) is Sat and Sun Feb 25th/26th.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:

The weekend before Mardi Gras(Feb 28th) is Sat and Sun Feb 25th/26th.

In New Orleans, the Mardi Gras celebration is over a 2 weekend period, which ends on Fat Tuesday. Usually it is even longer, but this year they are starting the major parades next weekend, which is the official "kickoff" of the celebration. All references to the Mardi Gras celebration involve 2 Weekends, so that means any announcement they'll make, is likely to come prior to the first weekend, which is the 18-19th.

Back
Top Bottom