MERGED ---> U2 on Shelter From the Storm Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come on. It's different--at least I think so, anyway. Walk On was new & hadn't been associated with anything else yet. One has been tacked on to almost every issue or charity thing they've done since it came out.

But that wasn't even what I was going at. I'm just not excited enough to hear One again, that's all. Oh, that, and all puppies should die. :wink: Sheesh!

As far as the song choice goes, there are so many better songs U2 could have played: Drowning Man, One Tree Hill, Stay, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On, Yahweh ...

Too late Utoo, you, too, proved several posts ago that you're classless :tsk:

I think I'll reserve my judgement of their performance until I actually see it. :huh:

Edit:
Hey Kelly, do you think that maybe those pics are from a rehearsal?

Editx2:
Nevermind. I see. I was wondering why their backdrop was there.

Last edited:
From U2.com

One Mary J Blige

U2 have filmed a Live version of “One” with Mary J Blige. The performance will air tonight during the Hurricane Relief Benefit: Shelter From The Storm”.

The Queen of Hip Hop Soul, Mary J flew into Toronto from New York especially to perform the song with U2.

The atmosphere was quite remarkable with a spine tingling performance from one of America’s finest vocalists, Mary J Blige. The band themselves seemed stunned by the power of her performance.

The benefit will be played across all major networks in America and throughout Canada. Shelter from the Storm is being produced by Joel Gallen, who also produced the post-9/11 telethon "America: A Tribute to Heroes.

All proceeds from the Telethon will go to The American Red Cross and The Salvation Army. Other artists appearing include Sheryl Crow, Ellen Degeneres, Chris Rock, Rod Stewart, Cameron Diaz, Alicia Keys, Randy Newman and Neil Young, and many many more

So they did flim here!!

Ahhhhhhh why didn't they invite some of U2 fans!!! Boohoo woohoooooooo U2!!

Last edited:
Axver said:
As far as the song choice goes, there are so many better songs U2 could have played: Drowning Man, One Tree Hill, Stay, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On, Yahweh ...

Yep, but they forgot long ago how to play 5 out of 6 of these, and they can't find the suitcase with the notes.

U2dork said:
I think I'll reserve my judgement of their performance until I actually see it. :huh:

im sure the performance will be great, its the choice of song we are judging. join us on the dark side U2dork.

Utoo said:
One has been tacked on to almost every issue or charity thing they've done since it came out.

Exactly! It's been completely over-used. It's like "oh, a cause, a special occasion, a telethon? Let's play ONE!"

So predictable. :tsk:

RicoT.O said:
From U2.com

One Mary J Blige

U2 have filmed a Live version of “One” with Mary J Blige. The performance will air tonight during the Hurricane Relief Benefit: Shelter From The Storm”.

The Queen of Hip Hop Soul, Mary J flew into Toronto from New York especially to perform the song with U2.

The atmosphere was quite remarkable with a spine tingling performance from one of America’s finest vocalists, Mary J Blige. The band themselves seemed stunned by the power of her performance.

The benefit will be played across all major networks in America and throughout Canada. Shelter from the Storm is being produced by Joel Gallen, who also produced the post-9/11 telethon "America: A Tribute to Heroes.

All proceeds from the Telethon will go to The American Red Cross and The Salvation Army. Other artists appearing include Sheryl Crow, Ellen Degeneres, Chris Rock, Rod Stewart, Cameron Diaz, Alicia Keys, Randy Newman and Neil Young, and many many more

So they did flim here!!

Ahhhhhhh why didn't they invite some of U2 fans!!! Boohoo woohoooooooo U2!!

Axver said:

Exactly! It's been completely over-used. It's like "oh, a cause, a special occasion, a telethon? Let's play ONE!"

So predictable. :tsk:

Classless :tsk:

Chizip said:

im sure the performance will be great, its the choice of song we are judging. join us on the dark side U2dork.

I'm also judging the choice of performing with Mary :barf: Blige.

I'm with you Kelly. I guess maybe it's because we're so close to it, it's hard to laugh right now. When you're driving down the street and you see a car from Louisiana, you know those people have lost their home. The crying hasn't stopped for us yet.

Reading from a google search - Shelter From The Storm website:
The following:

Internet:
AOL.com, CBS.com, FOX.com, Real.com, Yahoo.com

I'm in the central time zone (USA) so it's coming up in 20 min. or so.

Axver said:

I'm also judging the choice of performing with Mary :barf: Blige.

Well I'm waiting to see the performance before I immediately :barf: it, who knows, maybe it could be an interesting addition to the song

kellyahern said:

So sorry if I'm all out of humor about this. Just watching CNN. They're interviewing the only doctor who was at convention center who saw about 50 bodies, including people who were beaten to death. At this point, I don't care what U2 play.

:up:

They are not performing a song to make their fans happy. It's a universal song that is recognized, has deep meaning, and is still a beautiful song, especially at times like this. :hug:

Is there a point where it gets played at soooooo many charity events that it starts to lose it's meaning? I'm not trying to be a jackass, just curious if anyone else feels that way?

Lila64 said:

:up:

They are not performing a song to make their fans happy. It's a universal song that is recognized, has deep meaning, and is still a beautiful song, especially at times like this. :hug:

As far as I'm concerned, one compartment of my brain responds to disaster and a wholly separate one analyses U2's setlists. And that latter department says U2 could've played a number of better, more relevant, more touching numbers than the Old Cause And Campaign Warhorse. Associating One with everything under the sun is starting to suck it dry of meaning.

kellyahern said:

So sorry if I'm all out of humor about this. Just watching CNN. They're interviewing the only doctor who was at convention center who saw about 50 bodies, including people who were beaten to death. At this point, I don't care what U2 play.

I understand that. But why even commenting on our posts then? Our song complaining shouldn't matter to you now, either? And I have to say Kelly, as much as I respect your attitude, it really is a bit low to try to make us look like cynical idiots by mentioning this. Yes, in the great scheme of things right now, it is totally unimportant what U2 play, and we are well aware of that. But this is a U2 message board and people in here have been looking forward to seeing what U2 might play. And it is quite natural, and no big deal really, that some of us will comment on it afterwards.

U2Man said:

I understand that. But why even commenting on our posts then? Our song complaining shouldn't matter to you now, either? And I have to say Kelly, as much as I respect your attitude, it really is a bit low to try to make us look like cynical idiots by mentioning this. Yes, in the great scheme of things right now, it is totally unimportant what U2 play, and we are well aware of that. But this is a U2 message board and people in here have been looking forward to seeing what U2 might play. And it is quite natural, and no big deal really, that some of us will comment on it afterwards.

Go ahead. I apologize if I made anyone look like a cynical idiot. I commented on it because it upset me. But lots of things upset me this week.

U2dork said:
Here's a direct link for anyone interested.
http://www.cbs.com/specials/shelter_from_the_storm/

Will they be showing online live at 8:00pm as well? :scratch:

And I understand U2man, Chizip and Axver's comments. I know everyone thinks there's a better song they could play, but how many zillions of people watching know the band and their music like you guys and many others here do. Shouldn't we just be happy they are are taking part in the concert? It's a song that millions probably can relate to, and maybe even take comfort in. Can we leave it at that? Oops, I guess not. This is a U2 forum after all :reject:

Lila, yes, it's streaming right now, but the show hasn't started yet. They're just showing the graphic for now. I guess it will start in about 2 minutes.

kellyahern said:

Go ahead. I apologize if I made anyone look like a cynical idiot. I commented on it because it upset me. But lots of things upset me this week.

I understand where you're coming from, it's hit me many times this week here in Dallas also. :hug:

U2dork said:
Lila, yes, it's streaming right now, but the show hasn't started yet. They're just showing the graphic for now. I guess it will start in about 2 minutes.

But I'm in the west - wonder if they will show it here... I have it open...

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom