MERGED ---> U2 on Shelter From the Storm Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watched it. I think it was a great version of the song. Mary J seemed to put a lot of emotion in her voice for it, and it worked well.
I agree with Zoomerang that the cowboy hat MUST go, however it is currently hiding his hideous haircut, so I guess it should stay until that's sorted!

And is it just me or does Adam suddenly look 75?:ohmy:

Originally posted by U2Man

Sorry to disturb your illusions but the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did - I guess the rest of America had other concerns at the time than a rock band, very understandable. And the U.S. certainly didn't "need U2 to heal a wounded nation". By using the word "need", you seem to indicate that America hadn't got through the aftermath of 9/11 if it wasn't for U2. Please reconsider this for a second

Just a quick comment. U2 had announced the fall leg of their tour on 9/10/01. I remember, cuz when it was announced, I was thinking of how I could work out going to NY and seeing them in the big apple, a place I have yet to have the pleasure of visiting, and how great it would be to see them in a city like NY (as opposed to L.A.). And I was gonna try & make a business trip out of it. Then 9/11 took place, and well... I was just happy to see them in my 'hometown' at that point... Just my 2 cents. :reject:

Lila64 said:
Originally posted by U2Man

Sorry to disturb your illusions but the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did - I guess the rest of America had other concerns at the time than a rock band, very understandable. And the U.S. certainly didn't "need U2 to heal a wounded nation". By using the word "need", you seem to indicate that America hadn't got through the aftermath of 9/11 if it wasn't for U2. Please reconsider this for a second

Just a quick comment. U2 had announced the fall leg of their tour on 9/10/01. I remember, cuz when it was announced, I was thinking of how I could work out going to NY and seeing them in the big apple, a place I have yet to have the pleasure of visiting, and how great it would be to see them in a city like NY (as opposed to L.A.). And I was gonna try & make a business trip out of it. Then 9/11 took place, and well... I was just happy to see them in my 'hometown' at that point... Just my 2 cents. :reject:

Get outta that box Lila!:wink:

What has been the reaction to the performance, outside of Interference?

I thought it was pretty good...i though Mary and Bono performed well together..it was all for a good cause anyway.

Are U2 doing something else tonight for another telethon event?

This thread makes me :( .

Mtv is airing a special from 8pm-12pm EST.
I know this is highly unlikely, but does anybody know the approximate time they'll actually be playing?

And for us folks who don't get Mtv, I read that they will be showing it on their online player at www.mtv.com

Edit: They're now saying the show will last past midnight due to some late additions, like Coldplay.

The performance was great, I wish Bono sounded like this when they play One on tour. Mary J Blige was a fresh touch on the song, did great, the song selection was perfect - which is why One so often gets chosen for this type of events.

Too bad the setlist moaning couldn't wait till the 3rd leg.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great performance. I initially winced when I found out the guys would be singing with Mary J. Blige but after listening I must say I think they all did a stellar job. I actually got goosebumps listening to Mary singing "their" song. I think they enjoyed it too. Anything to take away some of the monotony of singing the same song over and over on all the tours and benefits, etc. They've done it many differnet ways for many different occasions but I think this was one of the best. I'm not sure what she's doing now but maybe she'll end up as a special guest at a few dates on the 3rd leg for "One."

U2dork said:

Mtv is airing a special from 8pm-12pm EST.
I know this is highly unlikely, but does anybody know the approximate time they'll actually be playing?

And for us folks who don't get Mtv, I read that they will be showing it on their online player at www.mtv.com

Edit: They're now saying the show will last past midnight due to some late additions, like Coldplay.

I wonder if MTV will learn anything after the negative reaction their initial coverage of Live8 got?

Will they cut away from Pearl Jam's performance to have some VJs tell us how great Pearl Jam are?

AtomicBono said:

I actually agree. Personally I thought it was one of the worst versions of the song I've ever heard, but my opinion doesn't really matter. I'm glad other people liked it and I approve of U2 and Blige for doing the benefit concert...I wish they could have done it seperately, but whatever. props to everyone who participated :up:

I think the same!

Well said!:up:

Sounded good, but am I the only one who thought that it looked odd for Bono to be doing the usual stunts with light/drum to an empty arena? It just seemed off to me -- a little forecd.

"One" with Mary J. last night, however, was amazing.

AtomicBono said:

I actually agree. Personally I thought it was one of the worst versions of the song I've ever heard, but my opinion doesn't really matter. I'm glad other people liked it and I approve of U2 and Blige for doing the benefit concert...I wish they could have done it seperately, but whatever. props to everyone who participated :up:

I agree. I don't really know any MJB songs, but she looked and sounded fantastic....except for the fact that she was off-key most of the song and I really can't stand how so many singers like her sing all over the place and can't just stick to the regular note. Sometimes, less IS more. I would've preferred U2 alone (Edge and Adam were hardly shown) or U2 and Joss Stone, but like you said, I'm glad everyone took part for the cause and I enjoyed watching.

Back
Top Bottom