MERGED--> U2 on Conan O'Brien + Conan time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The_acrobat said:
What did everybody think of the interview segments? Does anybody else think it's awkward when Bono talks and answers questions in a way that makes the answer completely different from the question? I really don't think they'll be back on Conan. It's sad too, cause Conan is by far the best.

I actually put the blame on Conan for this. I felt the questions he asked were pathetic... I mean, how often you have ALL the members of the greatest band in the world there to answer your questions and all you care about is showing stupid old pictures and make lame-ass jokes?

Thank God for the four songs, the interview was a complete waste of time... :down:

I thought the show was awesome! :up: The performances rocked, and "the year 2000" skit was hilarious. I don't know why so many people are complaining!:huh: Even my brother, who is really not a U2 fan, was laughing and thought it was great! :yes:

Shaliz said:
I thought the show was awesome! :up: The performances rocked, and "the year 2000" skit was hilarious. I don't know why so many people are complaining!:huh: Even my brother, who is really not a U2 fan, was laughing and thought it was great! :yes:

Performances and skit :up:

Interview :down: :down: :down:

(and to think that I have so many questions that I could ask the guys and yet this Conan dude wasted his chance... :mad: ).

U2@NYC said:

Performances and skit :up:

Interview :down: :down: :down:

(and to think that I have so many questions that I could ask the guys and yet this Conan dude wasted his chance... :mad: ).

Haha, I haven't even seen it but I know that it must have been like that. Seriously, people, what did you expect? All these late night talk shows are indeed a complete waste of time. Get some celebrities there, just in order to make people turn on their TV, fill in 30 minutes of stupid, brainless comments and questions and there you go. The recipe for 99% of all talk shows.

Chizip said:
no, this is the most pissed

conan3_3.jpg

or maybe he is constipated? :hmm:

I was quite surprised that he did this skit since he really never seems to do these kinds of things. He didn't do any skits on SNL at all. BTW, Carson is a really shitty talk show host. He's not even funny!

Someone needs to help me remember the first part of what I thought was the funniest moment.

In the year 2000...
Something about Bono and Alyssa Milano
The Edge will cut a hedge for Sister Sledge
Adam Clayton will worship Satan in Dayton
And Larry Mullen Jnr will be impossible to rhyme anything with.:lol: :lmao:

The interview segements sucked because Conan is a piss-poor interviewer. He's an unfunny dolt. The Year 2000 thing was also crap. Giving predicitons of the year 2000 in 2005? Yeah, that's funny. Erkel? Timely reference. How long has that show been off the air?

As for those complaining about Vertigo being cut off, the show has a set time-slot, and given the strictures of US TV, which doesn't reward spontanaity and which is wedded to such firm time-slot programming, it was inevitable that the band would probably go over and that the show would fade out in mid-song. Either they played an extra song, or Conan went over on the mindless skits and interviews, thus shorting them the time needed to finish Vertigo.

If they never go back to NBC, it shouldn't be because they were cut off at the end, it should be because the interviewer's questions and jokes were so lame.

longingforBono said:
Someone needs to help me remember the first part of what I thought was the funniest moment.

In the year 2000...

Bono catches mono from Alyssa Milano. :)

longingforBono said:

In the year 2000...

Bono will contract mono from Alyssa Milano
Edge will trim a hedge for Sister Sledge
And Larry Mullen, Jr. will be impossible to rhyme

Shaliz said:
I posted on Monday night that it'd be cool to see Edge do "in the year 2000." Does that mean that fake Conan O'Brien is hanging out on interference too?:eyebrow:

PhilG said:

Ironically, their very first appearance on US TV , the Tommorow Show with Tom Snyder, their 2nd song was cut off also.This was way back in 1981 & in the same NBC studio! Ive also read that there will be a three DVD set of various Tommorow show performances to be released next year.

I haven't seen U2's name mentioned in relation to this release though. Too bad.

I might be off on this, but I get the sense that the band feels slightly more at home with the comedy on UK and European shows. Not to suggest they weren't in synch last night, but I have just noticed that they seem a bit more animated and comfortable with the sensibilities and cultural references etc.. when doing shows such as Jonathan Ross or even that Evans show in the 90s. I guess that is hardly a shock given where they are from. But it just seems that the few times they have done light-hearted American talk shows, such as Bono and Larry on Letterman in '97 or the Letterman/Leno appearances in '01, or last night, they seem more laid back and tend to rely more on stock anecdotes. I guess that is also partly due to segment producers soliciting stock anecdotes from guests in the States. I enjoyed the show, but in all candor, I want Bono to stop telling the mansion on the hill joke. There are certain lines he seems to use in just about every interview he has done since 2000. No matter though- the performances were great and ultimately that is all that counts.

I wasn't into it.

sorry, I see everyone here loved it.
OOTS was nice. interview segment with full band sucked; partially because of conan, partially because they all seemed really nervous and uncomfortable.

also, I didn't think the year 2000 thing was funny at all; the jokes were so lame (booberry cereal? yeah....I'll get back to ya on that one).

the one good part was bono's segment on africa/the one campaign, basically because he got the word out to millions of viewers who may not have heard as much about it.

eh.

btw, what was up with the way they came in at the end of stuck? is that their tribute to evanescence or something?

Bono sounded like he had been to a dentist before the show, like anesthesia effect.

[ or maybe he just had some drinking? ]

His talking was weird ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom