MERGED-->U2.com offers subscrition refund/APOLOGY + U2.com/Fanfire refund discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knapster

The Fly
Contact for Membership Refund?

Can anyone tell me how/where to go to request a refund of my U2.com membership? I've tried, but the website sucks, and the webmail won't work. The email asks canned questions with canned answers, so you're not really communicating with an actual person. At least that's the way it appears to me.

I'm pissed off!!!

"I paid to see the high divin' act and I'm agonna see... oops, can't get tickets..." - Yosemite Sam, Ex U2 Fan

:sad:

Why don't you wait until they list more shows? Vertigo leg 1 is like 16 shows. Elevation was around 50. They'll add more.

You're probably right. Don't mind me... I'm just venting!

I'll try the number though... mabey I can vent at an actual person. That would be nice :rant:

Thanks for the number Sicy!

Why don't you just put the tickets up for sale and charge an extra $20 per ticket to cover your U2.com membership fees. There are plenty of folks on this board who have said that they feel that others shoudl just be happy that they just got in the building and that a $40 membership to get a chance to meerly get in the building is worth it. So you should not feel the least bit guilty to charge them face value plus TM fees plus membership fees. Good Luck.

Has anyone got their $40 back from u2.com?

because I asked for it twice last week and have heard nothing.

I am not paying $40 for no tickets; sorry.

oh wait.....maybe it's worth it to watch the video for vertigo...:rolleyes:

I'll be calling everyday this week until I get my refund.

Principle Management New York:
212- 765-2330

what do you mean?

the $40 was for the presale; I got nothin.

hence, a $40 refund is in order.

I don't need to pay $40 to call ticketmaster tommorrow morning for the general sale.

Let me just say that no matter what happens this year, no one will be renewing their memberships for next year, especially with no tour in the works. 99.9% of us payed for the memberships in order to ensure tickets. We all know how well that went over. I visit the U2 fan sites way more that U2.com, anyways.

no, but I sent them my sad story. We all should, a lot of us have been fans from the very start, and are probably responsible for at least 1k other people even knowing about U2 by knowing us and going to shows with us, and hearing us play and share the music.

JOFO, U2 announced there will an additional presale (which will end up being a postsale). I believe seats for all the additional dates (that have been added) are being held back for this Presale-II. Just my opinion - but I can't imagine them not holding back seats for these new dates after the PS1 disaster.

Whether PS2 ends up any better than presale 1 - we won't know until that day arrives.

I'm starting to wonder if the PHX, SEA, Vancouver "presale" will be lumped in with the larger Presale 2. I hope so - otherwise each of these cities' presale will get slammed with code holders.

David

arizzzona said:
JOFO, U2 announced there will an additional presale (which will end up being a postsale). I believe seats for all the additional dates (that have been added) are being held back for this Presale-II. Just my opinion - but I can't imagine them not holding back seats for these new dates after the PS1 disaster.

Whether PS2 ends up any better than presale 1 - we won't know until that day arrives.

I'm starting to wonder if the PHX, SEA, Vancouver "presale" will be lumped in with the larger Presale 2. I hope so - otherwise each of these cities' presale will get slammed with code holders.

David

oh really?
so I guess we should hold onto our memberships then?

Who has tried to get a refund from Fanfire/U2.com?

I finally got Ticketmaster to cancel my order for pre-sale tix after they changed the seating charts around. Just wondering if anyone had been successful going all the way to Fanfire or U2.com and getting a refund of their $40?

I asked for my $40 a few times last week, and they said they'd get back to me. (or rather, they took my name and phone #).
I haven't heard anything.
I was going to hold onto it though in case there was another presale sometime soon, but it looks like they're not doing anymore shows in the ny area until october. so, I can probably just get tickets through general sale then.
I dunno what to do.

They won't refund. I was told twice by sales reps that there was no limit on the number of shows you could buy tickets to- once in December before I bought my membership, and again on the day before the presale. This last time was AFTER U2.com sent out the emails that there was a limit. The supervisoer even said that the sales reps were already notified of the limits on U2 shows.

They were lying to people, selling more memberships founded on a lie. I asked for a refund because of this and they wouldn't do it. I contacted the Better Business Bureau online and filed a complaint - www.bbb.org . And I also contacted my state's Attorney General to get the correct forms for reporting all of the problems with U2.com, the memberships, Fanfire lying and refusing refunds, Ticketmaster, the fact that brokers got the amount of tickets they did, the reports on U2log.com about the real possibilites that there were bribes to get more tickets to brokers, etc. Here's that story- http://u2log.com/archive/2005/01/no_tickets_blame_u2_management_says_promoter.php

Contact your state's Attorney General and file a complaint. Get the forms necessary and lets hope we can get some answers, at the very least.

Last edited:
U2.com offers subscrition refund to those shut out - thoughts?

From U2com

'Vertigo Tour' Tickets: Latest News

Public demand for tickets for U2's 'Vertigo 2005' tour both in Europe and
North America continues to break records.

To date over 600,000 tickets have been bought, with sold-out shows in New
York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, San Diego, San Jose,
Philadelphia, London, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff and Brussels.

Inevitably this staggering level of interest has meant that in every city
where a show has been announced, demand has vastly exceeded supply. This
situation has been particularly acute for those people attempting to buy
general admission (standing/on the floor) tickets where the greatest demand
has been chasing the smallest number of tickets - in every venue.

U2.Com would like to take this opportunity to apologise to those people, both U2.Com subscribers and those that attempted to buy tickets when they went on general sale, who were unable to obtain a ticket for their preferred venue.

Despite the technical difficulties that initially hampered the pre-sale, thousands of U2.Com subscribers in North America and Europe did manage to successfully purchase tickets for these shows.

It is the band's intention to return to North America for further shows in the fall and U2.Com subscribers, who have not been able to use their unique access codes so far, will be able to buy tickets for these additional dates. Once again these tickets will be available on a strictly first come first served basis.

As is now obvious from the number of tickets being re-sold at vastly inflated prices on sites such as e-bay, we are currently suffering the same 'scalping' problem that accompanies every successful tour. U2.Com in combination with the relevant authorities is doing all that it can to identify where these tickets have originated and, where it is possible, to have these sales cancelled.

Although we realized that some subscribers might be scalpers using multiple
email addresses and reserved the right to cancel any ticket order, we underestimated the potential numbers of such scalpers/subscribers.

President of worldwide tour promoter TNA, Arthur Fogel, points out that 'Apart from the broker running the risk that the ticket order may be cancelled the reality is there's nothing to stop a broker from joining a fan club and being part of a pre-sale.'

We are sorry that this has happened and we would like to offer anyone who has a still unused unique access code the opportunity to get their U2.Com subscription money back.

(There will be full details of how to obtain your refund published on U2.com on Wednesday February 2nd.)

Please note that anyone who takes advantage of this refund offer will not be able to take part in any future U2 ticket presale.

U2.Com remains an enormously popular, award winning, free artist web-site.
When the bands' long established fan-magazine Propaganda closed (subscription to which gave the opportunity to purchase U2 tickets in advance of their public on-sale) a 'subscribers only' area was established on U2.Com. With a subscription fee of $40.00, in line with other subscription-based artist sites, U2.Com provided outstanding extra value content: enabling members to access full length audio and video streaming of U2's entire catalogue, a web based e-mail address, exclusive interviews and documentary footage, discount on U2 merchandise, as well as a unique code that allowed the member access to a ticket pre-sale.

U2.Com continues to provide constantly updated U2 news and inside information on its free site.

We are sorry if we inadvertently gave the impression that the $40.00 subscription guaranteed you the tickets of your choice.

Last edited:
For your reference, here is a great article that tracks the conversations via email and news articles u2.com had with fans about the membership benefit of ticket priority.

It's plain to see that their "gaurantees" were just outright lies.

Last edited:
That's the response...

I think a lot of us were looking for. I think its more than fair that they are offering to refund membership fees, though that doesn't change the fact that many fan club members weren't able to get tickets.

I for one am gonna keep my code for the fall leg...lightinng generally doesn't strike twice and I don't want to face increased demand in the next general sale if U2 gets good word of mouth for their shows.

In the meantime I hope U2.com improves the content on the site. I like the fact that they have a ton of videos on that site, but the fact is you can only enlarge them to about an 1/8 of your computer screen, which sucks.

Re: U2.com offers subscrition refund to those shut out - thoughts?

chazman151 said:
We are sorry if we inadvertently gave the impression that the $40.00 subscription guaranteed you the tickets of your choice.

:scratch: Jeez, where would we have gotten that idea...

I should have read that completely. I don't think anyone thought they would get the tickets of their choice, did they? They said they save the best tickets in the house for us. HA

Princey said:
Take a look at the u2.com website. it says that they will offer a full refund to anyone who still has an unused pre-sale code and theyve apologised for giving anyone the impression that the pre-sale code guaranteed them tickets. Apparently info on how to get a refund will be published this Wednesday.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1309

I don't know if they'll offer a full refund. Somehow, I thought I'd read somewhere in the terms and conditions of U2.com (in a FAQ or a mail I got from them), that they did offer partial refunds and then only if you hadn't used your presale code.
Then again, I think we know more on Wednesday.

C ya!

Marty

For whoever wanted a apology from U2.com.....

here you go, and you all said that if you got this apology you would let the matter rest, so here it is

INTERFERENCE.COM
U2 Fans, 'Zine, and More

U2 News | U2 Shop | U2 Tickets | Chat | Forum | Lyrics | Gatherings | U2 Links | Write for Us! | @U2Email.com
U2 Tour | Register | Contact Us | Invite Friends | User CP | F.A.Q. | Search | Members | Journals | Logout

Interference.com : U2 Articles

(01-31-2005) Vertigo Tour Tickets: Latest News -- U2.com*
Vertigo Tour Tickets: Latest News

Public demand for tickets for U2's 'Vertigo 2005' tour both in Europe and North America continues to break records.

To date over 600,000 tickets have been bought, with sold-out shows in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, San Diego, San Jose, Philadelphia, London, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff and Brussels.

Inevitably this staggering level of interest has meant that in every city where a show has been announced, demand has vastly exceeded supply. This situation has been particularly acute for those people attempting to buy general admission (standing/on the floor) tickets where the greatest demand has been chasing the smallest number of tickets - in every venue.

U2.Com would like to take this opportunity to apologise to those people, both U2.Com subscribers and those that attempted to buy tickets when they went on general sale, who were unable to obtain a ticket for their preferred venue.

Despite the technical difficulties that initially hampered the pre-sale, thousands of U2.Com subscribers in North America and Europe did manage to successfully purchase tickets for these shows.

It is the band's intention to return to North America for further shows in the fall and U2.Com subscribers, who have not been able to use their unique access codes so far, will be able to buy tickets for these additional dates. Once again these tickets will be available on a strictly first come first served basis.

As is now obvious from the number of tickets being re-sold at vastly inflated prices on sites such as e-bay, we are currently suffering the same 'scalping' problem that accompanies every successful tour. U2.Com in combination with the relevant authorities is doing all that it can to identify where these tickets have originated and, where it is possible, to have these sales cancelled.

Although we realized that some subscribers might be scalpers using multiple email addresses and reserved the right to cancel any ticket order, we underestimated the potential numbers of such scalpers/subscribers.

President of worldwide tour promoter TNA, Arthur Fogel, points out that 'Apart from the broker running the risk that the ticket order may be cancelled the reality is there's nothing to stop a broker from joining a fan club and being part of a pre-sale.'

We are sorry that this has happened and we would like to offer anyone who has a still unused unique access code the opportunity to get their U2.Com subscription money back.

(There will be full details of how to obtain your refund published on U2.com on Wednesday February 2nd.)

Please note that anyone who takes advantage of this refund offer will not be able to take part in any future U2 ticket presale.

U2.Com remains an enormously popular, award winning, free artist web-site. When the bands' long established fan-magazine Propaganda closed (subscription to which gave the opportunity to purchase U2 tickets in advance of their public on-sale) a 'subscribers only' area was established on U2.Com. With a subscription fee of $40.00, in line with other subscription-based artist sites, U2.Com provided outstanding extra value content: enabling members to access full length audio and video streaming of U2's entire catalogue, a web based e-mail address, exclusive interviews and documentary footage, discount on U2 merchandise, as well as a unique code that allowed the member access to a ticket pre-sale.

U2.Com continues to provide constantly updated U2 news and inside information on its free site.

--U2.com

From the way I understand it, only those with unused presale codes will be eligible for the fall presale. I already wrote to U2.com about this, since I think this sucks. I ended up buying 4th level, back of the arena seats, but I would have kept my code if I knew they weren't going to issue new ones.

Anyone know?

Sounds like an apology to me.

U2.Com in combination with the relevant authorities is doing all that it can to identify where these tickets have originated and, where it is possible, to have these sales cancelled.

And they are trying to do something.

Fair enough in my eyes.

I personally think that they are really scared of legal action against U2.com and that is why they are trying to disuade people by giivng money back.

Apologies do not work... what work is getting tickets.

Back
Top Bottom