MERGED->U2.com article on how to get inside the elipse+Can someone calrify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckonanz

The Fly
U2.com article on how to get inside the elipse

http://u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1479

The elipse, the heart, the circle, the ‘Vertigo Club’ in front of the stage – here’s how to get in.

Last night in San Diego we successfully piloted a new system aimed at creating a fairer way for fans to gain entry into the area in front of the stage (the ‘elipse’, which is the equivalent to the ‘heart’ area on the Elevation Tour).

We understand there was a little bit of confusion as to how it works. Let us explain.

People who bought their GA tickets in the U2.Com presale LINE UP IN ONE SPECIFIC AREA, people who bought their GA tickets in the general sale LINE UP IN A SEPARATE AREA.

As you enter, a ticket scanner randomly selects from the two lines those who gain entrance to the elipse.

The system was a big success last night, with lots of you telling us that it was much fairer – for example it does not penalise people who have to work in the daytime and cannot get to the show hours beforehand to get in line.

The new system means that being first in the queue does not guarantee access to the elipse as on previous tours.

Sorry if any of you had plans to camp days ahead of any of the shows - being first in line guarantees nothing. Chat about the new system here

“Last time around I queued from six am but still never got in the heart,’ said Al Schooling from Alta Loma. ‘This time I came just before the show and I’m in! I can’t believe it!’

As the new system was successful, we are going to continue it for the foreseeable future.

Here’s the small print on entrance to the elipse:

1) All General Admission Tickets holders enter though a designated entry point

2) All General Admission ticket holders will be asked to form two lines at this entry point:
a. U2.Com Presale floor Ticket purchasers
b. General Public Floor Ticket Purchasers

3) Venue staff will explain to fans the wrist banding procedure that they will encounter upon entering:
a. All floor ticket holders will receive a wristband upon entry
b. There is an enclosed Elipse area similar to Elevation Tour “heart”
c. Selection will be on a random basis using a computer ticket scanner that verifies the tickets and by a random numerical process, selects tickets for the Ellipse
d. Each ticket selected for the Elipse will enable both the ticket holder and their companion accompanying them into the Elipse.
e. Each selected ticket and that of their companion will be stamped upon selection and they will be directed to the Elipse wrist banding station.
f. Random selection will continue for the full capacity of the floor. (From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone will have an equal opportunity to enter the Ellipse)
g. The wristbands will provide reentry privileges to their respective areas

4) Those that do not get selected will be instructed to proceed directly to the floor.

So now it´s official, they are going to do it in the whole tour.

Can someone calrify?

u2.com says that you wont benefit by queuing up all day because it doesnt gurantee you into the elipse.

However, they also say that you are in 2 lines, when you go past the beeper and you DONT make it into the elipse you are directed to the floor

so unless i am misunderstanding, if you go there early you will still either

1) get to the elipse early
2) still get a chance to go to the front of the normal GA area?

so really we may as wel lall queue early anyway....

If you dont get in the ellipse the floor is first come first serve so lining up early still has its advantage. If you arrive at 745pm and dont get into the ellipse you're stuck in the back of the floor.

stonethrowerj said:
I wonder why they waiting till after the tour started to tell us officially about it?

I think there was some pressure from venues/promoters and even the band to try to alleviate the camping out situation and they came to this idea recently. Also Bruce Springsteen used a lottery for his GA for his last tour eventually and it worked successfully from most reports. So it was probebly a combination of those two things.

Sure, people will still camp out. But lets face it. For Elevation MOST of the people camped out to get into the heart only. So it IS going to stop alot of it. At the very least I think they are hoping people dont get there a full day before the show. The trend was headed to ridiculous levels for this tour if they didnt do something. People were camped out a full day before the first show. On Elevation's first show in Miami the line began forming with just a few people at like 7am to 8am the day of the show! You could get to the venue at 2 or 3pm the day of and still get in the heart. By the third leg, word got out and people were camping out all night and sometimes the day before. Some of these venues are not in the nicest areas of town and its just not safe. THere are liability issues and security issues.

Some people dont like and you may not agree with the reasoning. But that is the main reason it has come to the lottery. It may be tweaked some, but I think its here to stay. What will be interesting is the third leg, when there was a pre sale for Prop members only. I wonder if their codes will give most of them access? I could see that happening actually. Should be interesting anyway. Europe will be interesting also.

Last edited:
amarks86 said:
Still says nothing about what happens with no presale!!!!

Just one GA line, I guess........or they could make us pull out the keychain..........either way, if you get there early enough, it won't really matter what line you're in (as both go in at the same time, it's just that there's less people in the U2.com one).....

okay so im with my parents and one of us beeps. does that mean we can't go into the ellipse? i cant leave one of my parents behind and im not old enough to go by myself. :(

Seems as thought that u2.com card that I haven't received yet....is becoming all that more important!

Blue Room said:

Sure, people will still camp out. But lets face it. For Elevation MOST of the people camped out to get into the heart only.

I don't think that's quite right. If all you cared about was being IN the heart, there was absolutely no purpose in getting there the night before. For most shows, you could show up in the morning and still easily get into the heart. The people who camped out cared more about being at the very front than simply being in the heart. And they're still going to under this system. They'll want to be at the front of the ellipse, which they won't be if they're not among the first in line. And if they can't do that, they'll want the best spot outside the ellipse, which they won't get if they're not among the first in line. The bottom line is that if the very best spots go to those who get there earliest (and they still do under this system), then a lot of people will still camp out. That's my prediction anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom