MERGED-->Tour postponed? + HTDAAB Tour Dates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they don't hit the east coast at all on the first leg, I'm not sure how they'll do leg 3 - because lots of those markets were going to be sure repeats (Boston/NYC/Toronto), so I'm wondering about the number of shows they'd do in September.

I guess I'll have to travel for leg 1 out west. Didn't really want to do that, to be honest, as I'd rather spend my vacation time and $$ in other ways, but it looks like that's the hand we're dealt.

prisz25 said:

Yeah i totally agree that its just the announcement that was postponed! If Paul says something then i believe it! if there is a family illness that would be terrible! hopes its just a RUMOUR!!!!

Paul also said - "As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know". If they think it's going to take WEEKS to get everything confirmed then there is no way the tour will start on March 1. There just would not be enough time. Saying that they are delaying the announcement means a delay in the start of the tour. People are just going to be disappointed again if they think otherwise.

I actually thought that by this afternoon we would have a clearer picture of what was going on, maybe even a complete explanation. But instead, things are even more confusing. You have one site saying the tour now starts in Los Angeles while another says Las Vegas. Paul says the delay is due to routing problems, but at the same time a band spokesperson refuses to comment on a report that the delay is due to a family illness. If it's not true why not just say so?

Personally I think it is probably a combination of issues that led them to the decision to delay: the problems with the Propaganda cards, the scheduling, the stage setup, and a (hopefully minor) health issue for someone in the U2 family.

The last thing I'd want is for them to rush out there like on POPmart.

If they need some extra time, then so be it.

I hope that's it though and not a serious family illness, which would have to be serious to postpone the tour.

Talk to my "industry" source, and they said that the dates and announcements are in flux. They mentioned that the dates are definitely moving and that they believed they will have a new itinerary by the end of THIS month.

More when I hear it.

Bono's Tart said:

I dont have a problem with my opinion thank you, Im entitled to post it as you so very often do.
You dont like it then tough I'm afraid.

By the way you are very wrong as there are lots of so called fans on here who have a problem with the band putting their families first, as some of the following pages prove.

Sorry, but I reread this thread and I see a lot of people extremely disapointed, and a lot of people in denial about the validity of the illness story, but I don't see anyone having a problem with the band putting their families first, (in the previous pages).

Maybe I've read a different thread than you.

Adam DID come back from the Tsunami area, right???

My first inclination was that technical issues with the development of tour esuipment were the cause. But then I figured, 'Why not come out and say that?'

Another curiosity: Why isn't there ANYTHING about this on U2.com?

Also, the word 'postponed' is much more ominous than 'delayed.' Much ado about nothing? I suppose. Time will tell.

So if Paul's on the level, and I know what that "if" means, those all-knowing, smarty-pants newbies with all those "confirmed" dates were indeed full of shit then right? :wink:

Because if it ain't really an illness and the problem is "routing" then those confirmed dates weren't confirmed, were they?

The illness piece has yet to be confirmed by anyone identified with the band, and Paul's on about a routing issue. :hmm:

They probably have to give Fanfire another 8 years of advance notice before those fools are ready for ticket sales.

My theory is that they had a tentative schedule made up, on the assumtion there'd be no NHL season(Lockout). I wouldn't be surprised that there will be a season starting later this month, and the tentative schedule had to be tossed.

NHL - National Hockey League - it's the professional hockey league in Canada and the US that is currently on strike with negotiations going nowhere. Along with the NBA, they are the major occupants of the arenas where U2 plays in North America and all other events have to be scheduled around their home games.

In this thread people have correctly quoted Paul McGuinness as saying that only the announcement of the tour schedule has been postponed not the tour has been postponed. However, there has been no official announcement with dates and cities only rumored ones. By saying that they are delaying the announcement could easily mean there is problems with scheduling. PM does not have to say the tour has been delayed since there is no official tour schedule out there yet. If people had already bought tickets for early March shows and now the tour won't start until the end of March....then the tour would be postponed. If no official schedule no ticket sales, then it is merely a delay in announcing.

We just have to wait and see...but I do feel that the rumored dates will probably be far from accurate when this is all said and done.

Agreed with everything you said, Luminous Times. That said, it'd be nice if the rumoured tour dates were true, but if not, oh well.

Whatever they are, we'll all adapt.

anitram said:
NHL - National Hockey League - it's the professional hockey league in Canada and the US that is currently on strike with negotiations going nowhere. Along with the NBA, they are the major occupants of the arenas where U2 plays in North America and all other events have to be scheduled around their home games.

So if the strike ends, the games will commence late in the season, and will have priority bookings at venues and anything else booked that clashes will be cancelled eg music concerts?

That NHL "strike" is actually a lockout by the owners, and it won't be ending anytime soon, if ever. Commissioner Gary Bettman gave the scorched earth speech back in September, and neither side has budged since then. They aren't even having meetings about it, and have nothing scheduled. The league has been releasing dates at the arenas on a rolling 45 day basis; if there were a miracle agreement *right now*, it'd still be 45 days before all teams would have access to their arenas on the dates they need. That means the earliest the NHL could start its season is the end of February... and the season generally ends the first weekend of April. The NHL is pretty much a non-issue by this point; the season is all but cancelled, and the league is all but bankrupt.

And for the person who called me "stupid" a few pages back for suggesting someone might be in rehab, learn some manners. Given the info available, that sounds like a plausible explanation to me. May be right, may be wrong, but I'm not STUPID for expressing an opinion.

Again, learn some manners.

C.

zoopop said:

LOL!!!!! I hope that isn't for everyone who paid $40.

Some people have complained already on Zootopia.....
I only paid $40 to get tickets a week before the Public.
Theres no place better than Interfernce to get the latest U2 news.

ramblin rose said:

Sorry, but I reread this thread and I see a lot of people extremely disapointed, and a lot of people in denial about the validity of the illness story, but I don't see anyone having a problem with the band putting their families first, (in the previous pages).

Maybe I've read a different thread than you.

Dont be so condescending.
Just get over it.
:yawn:

the whole thing sucks, but if it to rehearse more and get everything situated, so be it.

It's not possible u2 are not coming to Boston or NY before the third leg. :huh:

On BBC1 it was announced (by a radio station announcer with Jo Whiley) the tour announcement is delayed to routing and that U2 are wanting to add more countries.

There was also mention of the family illness rumour.

Last edited:
I think that all you people going nuts over U2 postponing the tour by 4 weeks are a bit...well...nuts.
what do 4 weeks mean? nothing.
especially the US fans are a bit selfish, imo.
out of 113 Elevation shows, no less than 80 were in North Am. you had five chicagos, five new yorks, so on...
and that is true for every single tour U2 has ever done, except lovetown 89-90.
this tour will have 115 shows, and 70 (or more) will be in North AM.
the band were scheduled to play Europe in summer 02, they cancelled it, and we've had to wait 3 yrs to see them again.
they havent played in Australia and japan since '98.
they've only toured once in south am.
there's an helluva lotta contries where they've never ever played (east europe, soth east asia...).
and you do complain about a 4 week delay??????
get a life. get real.

Just FYI, the Irish Times have a clipping on the front page of today's newspaper... The part pertaining to the tour is the following... : 'U2 have been forced to postpone the announcement of their world tour which was due to begin in Miami on March 1st, and come to Dublin's Croke Park in July. A spokesperson for the band told the Irish Times last night she was unable to deny or confirm reports carried by Rolling Stone magazine's website stating that the tour had been postponed due to family illness. ' The rest goes on to talk about previous tours etc. The Irish Times is probably the most reputable of newspapers here (though that doesn't always mean everything!)

gabriele1971 said:
I think that all you people going nuts over U2 postponing the tour by 4 weeks are a bit...well...nuts.
what do 4 weeks mean? nothing.
especially the US fans are a bit selfish, imo.
out of 113 Elevation shows, no less than 80 were in North Am. you had five chicagos, five new yorks, so on...
and that is true for every single tour U2 has ever done, except lovetown 89-90.
this tour will have 115 shows, and 70 (or more) will be in North AM.
the band were scheduled to play Europe in summer 02, they cancelled it, and we've had to wait 3 yrs to see them again.
they havent played in Australia and japan since '98.
they've only toured once in south am.
there's an helluva lotta contries where they've never ever played (east europe, soth east asia...).
and you do complain about a 4 week delay??????
get a life. get real.

I agree with most of the things you said. I mean whatever is the reason why the announcement of the tour is delayed and if the tour itself is delayed then so be it.

I think some fans are upset because they may already thought of when they could attend a show. And yes the US gets a lot of shows. U2 is a popular live band in the States and almost all of the shows sell out. There is a reason why U2 play a lot of shows here.

We are one country but we are a huge country. Uh we have like 50 states so think of that as 50 different countries if you will.

You got to remember we are not like Europe. Transportation around the US try can get expensive. WE don't have an elaborate train system like in Europe and so forth. So it is difficult for some US fans to travel to see U2 if they don't come to an area close to them. So this may be why some fans are upset. Who knows?

Luckily, I can travel if need be. I live 3 miles from Ronald Reagan Nat'l Airport and not far from Dulles or BWI so.....I got options.

But we all need to calm down and be patient. We will learn soon enough. Well maybe we won't learn anything from U2.com but patience ya'll!

slapshot said:

And for the person who called me "stupid" a few pages back for suggesting someone might be in rehab, learn some manners. Given the info available, that sounds like a plausible explanation to me. May be right, may be wrong, but I'm not STUPID for expressing an opinion.

It's not a plausible explanation at all, merely mean-spirited speculation on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom