MERGED-->Stage plans: bringing it all together + Stage is a bomb, not an egg or oval.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What neat software you have! I don't think the oval will be solid though. It takes up too much floor space.

Anybody want to take bets as to how long before these pics show up on the zootopia forum with people saying they're real?

U2dork said:
What neat software you have! I don't think the oval will be solid though. It takes up too much floor space.

Anybody want to take bets as to how long before these pics show up on the zootopia forum with people saying they're real?

Yah you're right. It's funny how people do that.

So my wife talked to the guy who designed the U2 stage! (I was not there). He is her cousin's husband! She did not get a whole lot of details from him I'm afraid, but he said that there is definitely an oval which people will be able to stand inside, just like the heart for the Elevation tour. He said there were no b-stage projections out from the oval like in that one picture. No mention of how big the oval would be.

That is all he really told her. No chance that I'll see him before then, so I cannot ask him any more. There was no mention of whether or not the stage will rotate.

Last edited:
Found this on the United Center website...out of proportion, but it's definitely the speculated shape. This ought to put to rest the idea that the egg was a giant horizontal video screen, ala that one from the oscars (or from the Super Bowl, to a lesser extent). Also, there is none of that b-stage business, so I'm finding that more unlikely.

uc_vertigo.gif

Yay, inner egg!

Last edited:
knox said:
Found this on the United Center website...out of proportion, but it's definitely the speculated shape. This ought to put to rest the idea that the egg was a giant horizontal video screen, ala that one from the oscars (or from the Super Bowl, to a lesser extent). Also, there is none of that b-stage business, so I'm finding that more unlikely.

uc_vertigo.gif

Yay, inner egg!

the stage looks like a toilet bowl

From a broker website:

atlastickets.com, regarding the 11/1 Staples Center show

" SEC: 107 LOWER*** ROW: 9
DEAD CENTER SEATING, VERY CLOSE TO THE FLOOR.
NOTE--THERE IS ALSO A PERFORMERS' RAMP THAT EXTENDS
FROM THE STAGE OUT TO THE MIDDLE OF SECTION 102."

Definitely a b-stage.

12762s.gif

Last edited:
While I *hope* the ramp is not just a rumor, nothing's been confirmed yet. I don't think we'll know till the opener (19 days, 19 days, 19 days...)

i think the ramp is 99% likely - considering its been in since '92.
And that makes me very weary of the german design posted earlier. it seems to be a generic outdoor festival layout - nothing specific which can connect it to vertigo tour.

brwh1 said:
i think the ramp is 99% likely - considering its been in since '92.
And that makes me very weary of the german design posted earlier. it seems to be a generic outdoor festival layout - nothing specific which can connect it to vertigo tour.

Well, there was no ramp extending out from the stage for Elevation (except the heart itself) and there was no B stage. It appears the equivelant to the heart the egg is going to happen. The question is about another ramp and B stage this time. So I dont think its a for sure thing by any means.

Regarding the German layout, the main stage circles are actually indicative of the Vertigo design we have been seeing. So there is info on that schematic that would appear to be Vertigo specific and not generic.

Last edited:
I gotta say, I dig the whole runway/pit setup of the last tour (and it looks like this one, too).

The thing about the B-stage (or even the runway) is that it always tempts the band into doing something stupid, like playing "Desire" with an acoustic guitar.

knox said:
I gotta say, I dig the whole runway/pit setup of the last tour (and it looks like this one, too).

The thing about the B-stage (or even the runway) is that it always tempts the band into doing something stupid, like playing "Desire" with an acoustic guitar.

Didnt stop them with a heart design either, so it makes no difference! ;)

Yeah, I know.

If it werent for things like running around the heart before Streets or the awesomeness that was Until The End Of The World, I would have preferred no heart and a decent version of Desire. =P

lemon_vr6 said:
From a broker website:

atlastickets.com, regarding the 11/1 Staples Center show

" SEC: 107 LOWER*** ROW: 9
DEAD CENTER SEATING, VERY CLOSE TO THE FLOOR.
NOTE--THERE IS ALSO A PERFORMERS' RAMP THAT EXTENDS
FROM THE STAGE OUT TO THE MIDDLE OF SECTION 102."

Definitely a b-stage.

12762s.gif

I would put little faith in what a broker has to say...He is trying to sell his over-priced tickets any way he can...I mean what exactly could a buyer do if there was not b-stage that extended out that far? Besides any setup similar to elevation's heart will probably extend out to section 102 anyway...So I doubt there will be another separate b-stage...The United Center set up looks pretty reasonable and it is not being pulled.

I concur. I always thought that design with an egg/ramp AND a B-stage was weird, and a logistical nightmare, so very unlikely. I think they will have one of both but not both at the same time.

You have to think that the floor in an arena is not that big, and that whatever extands from the stage cannot go that far. First and foremost because the sound booth must be right in front of the stage and at a reasonable distance from it. Second, if there would be and egg/heart section, people inside could barely see anything at all if there was *another* ramp.

That design just doesn't make sense. I think it will be something similar to Elevation in terms of having a ramp and an enclosed section.

SPOILER... The following was revealed by Chris Anderson at the TED Awards (Bono was the TED award winner)

NOTE... you will have to highlight the text below in order to read it. If you don't want to, simply do not highlight the below text.

Sun Microsystems & DATA have put together a system wherein people can join the One campaign via text message, and as each message is recieved, the name in the message will appear on the video screen behind the band. This will take place durring the playing of, obviously, One.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of the acoustic Stay from the last tour. Not so much from the DVD, but the b-side from Toronto was kick ass. some songs are great at the tip of the heart. In a Little While was another great one.

with regards to the spoiler above, if you were going to go to the extent of having that feature at a concert you would want it to be projected on something big to make it worth while :D big screens here we come! yay!

Yes, the spolier mentioned here seems to suggest bigger than Elevation screens. It possibly might not be, but if they want this bit to work, they'll need bigger than Elevation screens.

Remember though, the screens have to be in the rig or pop up slightly from the back of the stage like Elevation as there are rear stage tickets. So the screens may be slightly bigger, but I doubdt its going to be anything drastic.

From @U2

Our source tells us the Vertigo stage does employ an oval-shaped area much like the Elevation heart, but the oval extends further out onto the floor than the heart did. The stage is described to us as "very clean" with very little to block the view of fans sitting to the sides and behind the band. There are reportedly more than 3,000 lights built into the stage floor, and a new video screen technology will have large LEDs on a drape-like fabric. And that's all we know about the stage at this point.

I'm beginning to think that my self-imposed exile from the U2 fan community for the purpose of seeing the stage freshly is going to have to start soon...

I read the @u2 email today as well. Very interesting about the oval extending further out into the arena. I wonder if that means the inner portion will be able to hold just as much as the outter portion?

I also like Headache's "magic text" for possible show spoilers. Although, I can just imagine an outsider coming in and reading a thread full of 'non posts' and wondering what the heck is going on. :lol:

Oh, and tkramer, I bet you didn't know this either: Roeland Park, KS is apparently in Northern Europe! I love how they checked their facts on that one. I mean, it's posted for them in their forum. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom